RC Competitor

Castle MMP SCT 2400 performance on 2S

Hey all,

I have read several times that the MMP SCT is a great motor/esc combo for the slash 4x4, especially for bashing. I have also read that it doesn't "wake up" until you go 3S or higher for your batteries. Since I have a lot of 2S batteries and a couple of 3S, my question is how does the MMP SCT 2400 compare on 2S vs. the stock motor/esc? Will I be taking a step back on those packs? Is it comparable to the stock on 2S? Even if it's the same or slightly better I will feel better about the purchase I will be making today.

Any feedback from those who know is appreciated. Thanks!!!
    My money pits:
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Losi XXX-T MF2

RC Champion
    3800 is a better option if planning to run a lot of 2s

See this thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tle-2400-Combo

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Competitor
    I will no longer be buying 2s lipos, only 3s ( have 2 now) and in the distant future, 4s. I just don't want to slap in the $250 upgrade, slap in a 2s lipo then say WTH... As long as the results are similar to the stock setup I will be satisfied.
    My money pits:
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Losi XXX-T MF2

RC Champion
    Wont be as fast as the stock motor unless you gear very aggressively (50% larger pinion), motor will draw heaps of amps

Will have more torque and run cooler

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Competitor
    Trying to find the 3800 motor and can't. Should I be looking at the Castle site for this option?
    My money pits:
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Losi XXX-T MF2

RC Champion
    They are available everywhere (Tower, Amain, Ebay, Gonitrohobbies)

Will come with 2 ESC options, the Sidewinder and the MMP

Get the MMP

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGecko View Post
    I will no longer be buying 2s lipos, only 3s ( have 2 now) and in the distant future, 4s.

If that's the case, go with the 2400

RC Champion
    98snakeeater knows exactly what to do, watch some of his videos and you will soon make up ur mind.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Competitor
    Since I will only progress to 3s in the future I am going with the 2400. Thanks for ALL of the input fellas...

Are there any modifications I need to be aware of? Mounting plate for esc? relocation of receiver box, is that necessary?
    My money pits:
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate
    Losi XXX-T MF2

RC Qualifier
    i redid my whole setup. i took the receiver out of the box, screwed the old motor plate to the chassis to mount the receiver, glued 2 pieces of lexan together with some lexan picture glue and screwed it to the front of the chassis and mounted my ESC in the front w/ double sided and liquid tape (works wonders). i need a new chassis and when i get one im gonna redo it again and run all the wires through the plastic braces in the chassis

and if you didnt already have them. i would get mip cvd's and kingheadz motor mount

RC Competitor
    Looks like Koda's system is sensored.
    I tested a non-sensored Castle System this weekend and I was dissappointed in the stalling & unsteadyness that I believe is called "clogging?".
    I'm about to test a sensored system.
    4x4 Ultimate (Slayden Suspension<Big Improvement!)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KewlToye View Post
    Looks like Koda's system is sensored.
    I tested a non-sensored Castle System this weekend and I was dissappointed in the stalling & unsteadyness that I believe is called "clogging?".
    I'm about to test a sensored system.
    It's non-sensored (the extra wires are for the cooling fan), but you're right about the cogging with the Castle motors (not smooth at all)

I've grown used to it though.

RC Competitor
    I just bought a different namebrand truck with a sensored Novak system... It'll take me a few days to put it together. I'm curous how different the sensored system will act.
    I have a spare motor out of the deal that I may use to get my 4x4 going again.
    4x4 Ultimate (Slayden Suspension<Big Improvement!)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    It's non-sensored (the extra wires are for the cooling fan), but you're right about the cogging with the Castle motors (not smooth at all)

I've grown used to it though.
    hes right its not sensored and i too have grown used to the small amount of cogging but i do want to try a sensored motor out and see the difference first hand

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGecko View Post
    Since I will only progress to 3s in the future I am going with the 2400. Thanks for ALL of the input fellas...

Are there any modifications I need to be aware of? Mounting plate for esc? relocation of receiver box, is that necessary?
    I have the same setup and I run my old 2 cells on the indoor tracks, I found that I actually prefer to use the 2 cells inside. 18/54 gearing and use the field card to give the motor as much torque as possible. Then, when I'm outside I put in the 3 cell and let the fun begin!
    Also, I squeezed the motor and esc into the exact same places. Mount the esc to a piece of aluminum and use the 2 tapped holes in the chassis to attach the plate

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KewlToye View Post
    I just bought a different namebrand truck with a sensored Novak system... It'll take me a few days to put it together. I'm curous how different the sensored system will act.
    I have a spare motor out of the deal that I may use to get my 4x4 going again.
    The sensored setup will have way smoother throttle response, take off, and is also quieter. I have a Tekin Rx8 sensored setup in my Rc8.2e buggy and I can make it creep along with no cogging at all.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda Dank View Post
    i redid my whole setup. i took the receiver out of the box, screwed the old motor plate to the chassis to mount the receiver, glued 2 pieces of lexan together with some lexan picture glue and screwed it to the front of the chassis and mounted my ESC in the front w/ double sided and liquid tape (works wonders). i need a new chassis and when i get one im gonna redo it again and run all the wires through the plastic braces in the chassis

and if you didnt already have them. i would get mip cvd's and kingheadz motor mount
    Why move every thing around? the fit in the stock location is perfect, just remove the stock esc plate and screw down a scrap piece of lexan and servo tape the esc in place.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    Can you use 2 2s with the parallel adapter

RC Champion
    No reason why not if you want double the runtime

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    Why move every thing around? the fit in the stock location is perfect, just remove the stock esc plate and screw down a scrap piece of lexan and servo tape the esc in place.
    better air flow to everything. with my esc up front it barely gets warm and with the motor having so much room it has somewhat of the same effect. i took the receiver out of the box cause i got tired of taking the box apart every time i wanted to change something on the esc.