Thread: Wheelies?

Lightbulb Wheelies?

How do I make the mini erevo pop good sized wheelies? Whith the dual battery packs or just one which would be better?

Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Champion
    Two is better. With one stock pack, you can do wheels for tge first couple min. With two in paralell, you should be able to wheely for most of your run. If you REALLY want wheelies though, you just need to go to a two cell lipo. You gain power AND she'd weight, win win..... with two 2 cell lipos in paralell, I can wheely on demand starting even from half throtle, through my entire 45 min run...
    Dacaur

Nice!!! How much are the 2 cell lipos? Traxxas or aftermarket lipo battery???
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Racer
    Gearing also affects it drastically. I'm not sure of the spur great I'm using but my pinion is 19t and I have 1/10 scale jato wheels on mine and it Will pull a wheelie on training mode with 3s lipos in parallel.

Will I need to change pinion, drive shafts or diffs to aftermarket parts? I'm just planning on running it on a 2 cell lipo
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Champion
    I should have asked before, is this the VXL version (brushless)? If so then the stock gearing will work fine. You wont have to change anything other than installing the 2 cell lipo. If you were to go with 3 cell, then you would start breaking parts, but with 2 cell, you will be fine.... I have a set of traxxas lipos in one of my mini summits. They work fine, but are a bit pricy. You can use google to find alternatives... The batteries I use in my other summit are much more reasonably priced, but I am not allowed to tell you the brand on this board.... They are part number TRA2820...

If its the brushed version, then I am not sure, I have only ever driven the brushless mini revo, but I bet even the brushed truck will wheely on 2 cell lipo, if not, dropping a few teeth on the pinion will get the front tires up....
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryRcDude View Post
    Will I need to change pinion, drive shafts or diffs to aftermarket parts? I'm just planning on running it on a 2 cell lipo
    Hey, if your still serving; one thanks brother from a former 11b, and two, deploying with LIPOs is a not go...there are flight restrictions. So keep a few of your old batteries if you're still in.

As long as you stay 2s I'll bet you will be fine...3s and 4s is when things start exploding.

'Merica

Note: Might need to tighten your slipper clutch if you want to pull off wheelies, but you also run the risk of breaking things in your driveline.
    Slash 4X4 LCG Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Champion
    with slipper set per the manual, wheelies are not a problem. If your slipper setting is keeping you from doing wheelies, its too loose....
    Dacaur

My erevo is brushless
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

Thanks elDax I was even thinking about running 3 or 4 cell lipo but thanks for telling me about if I ran it that high it would explode
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Enthusiast
    I run 4s lipo on my erbe and cant stop it from doing wheelies. I didn't even try the the NimH batts though.

RC Champion
    My erevo is brushless
    Thanks elDax I was even thinking about running 3 or 4 cell lipo but thanks for telling me about if I ran it that high it would explode
    Trust me, you will be happy with 2 cell. The ONLY reason to go with 3 cell is if you want to go insanely fast in a straight line. Wirth 2 cell, you get more speed than the truck can handle. Get a couple 2 cell packs and run them in parallel, and you will get all the wheelies you can handle.... You WILL want to install a wheely bar....
    Dacaur

Thanks I got a wheelie bar just wanted to know how to get wheelies!!
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

Should I get the traxxas lipos or another brand?
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Enthusiast
    I have 2s traxxas 4200 mah and they are fine. I also have 2s venom 5000 mah and they are more powerful, I don't know how as they are both 25c but the venom's are just insane.

Which ones last longer?
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ironspider View Post
    I have 2s traxxas 4200 mah and they are fine. I also have 2s venom 5000 mah and they are more powerful, I don't know how as they are both 25c but the venom's are just insane.
    You must be taking about 1/10scale batteries. I don't think anyone makes lipos for 1/16scale with such large capacities. If someone dies please let me know

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ironspider View Post
    He's talking about the 1/10 erbe.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    He's talking about the 1/10 erbe.
    Good call I should have looked up to his previous post and I would have known. That's is what I get for assuming sixteenth scale in the sixteenth scale forum. I can't wait to get the tenth scale revo

So just stick with traxxas lipos or what??
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Racer
    I have not used traxxas lipos so I cannot comment on them. Sheet reading all the good things I have read about SPC batteries I bought one and lOved it. When I bought my mini revo on here it came with two 2s SPC lipos and I loved them so when it came time to buy new ones I obviously got the SPC 3s that cost $20 each

RC Champion
    My experiences with cheap lipos have been about 50\50, that is 50% good, 50% bad.... You will be happy with a cheap lipo when you get it for sure, but I have found some brands that are great in the beginning, but within about a year, they are complete crap... the forum wont let my type the name though.... I have always been happy with e-flight batteries, and I do have a few traxxas lipos I got used that are still going strong. I have never tried SPC batteries....
    Dacaur

Nice I think I'll go with the Spc lipo
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Racer
    I hope you get the same results that I've got so far they seem to be great

Do they have the traxxas connector?
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Racer
    They have the option for traxxas or deans. I ordered from spc website.

RC poster
    is it brushed or brushless

It's brushless
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Racer
    How are those batteries?

Whil the erevo pop a wheelie with two parallel 2series traxxas I'd batts ?
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Champion
    yes. it will. assuming you are talking about a stock 1/16 vxl
    Dacaur

How good are the wheelies?
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Champion
    Well, they are wheelies. I will say they are not as good as you would get with lipo batteries. I didn't have a wheelie bar at the time that I used 2 nimh packs in parallel, but the wing served basically the same purpose.... When you go to 2 cell lipo, the wing can no longer do duty as a wheelie bar, because it has a lot more power, plus you lose some weight going to lipo, so it will just flip over backward, if that tells you anything..... With nimh, you can basically only do wheelies from a standing start, where with 2 cell lipo, you can do a wheelie even from half throttle when you are already going.

With one NIMH pack you can do wheelies for the first few min of the pack.
    With two nimh packs in paralell you can do wheelies for about the first half to 2/3 of the runtime.
    With 2 cell lipo, you can do wheelies until LVC kicks in.....

If you want wheelies, you want lipo, end of story.
    Dacaur

Nice!!!!!!
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

RC Qualifier
    With a decent pair of lipos you will literally be able to do a wheelie so hard the car will completely back flip. no kidding - its hard on the diffs and whatnot but they will do it. On 3S lipo mine will pull full wheelies while its going 25mph if I mash the throttle. that's a long slide on the roof if your body let me tell you.

RC Racer
    Yeah and man do those stock traxxas bodies slide like a sled on snow when on concrete roads. I really need to get a center diff and possibly wheelie bar soon can race the neighbor's emaxx. I know if I throw in the 3s ill smoke him, but I can't even attempt full throttle right now or it lays on its back and slides uncontrollably farther than I care to chase it down to flip it over.

Center diff is more for the racers to fine tune with. For a basher, it would make your car feel like front wheel drive unless you fill it with very heavy silicone diff oil.
    If you're just a basher, get a wheelie bars and just loosen the slipper clutch a little.
    Slash 4X4 LCG Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Champion
    I have never thought a center diff made my car feel like a front wheel drive.... What it does do is stop wheelies in their tracks. Basicaly you hit the throttle, and as soon as the front starts to lift, it unloads to the front, you lose power, and the wheely stops.... All if it is pretty much seemles though, you don't "feel" it losing power, you just see it accelerate to speed without wheelying.... Of cours thicker oil in the center diff will still allow you to wheely, while controlling it somewhat.
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    Yeah I think I will get both so I can control the wheelie instead of killing it.