RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)

Green Light Flickers on ESC

When I go to power up my ESC, the light flickers. It's not flashing like it's in programming mode, it looks more like a flickering neon sign. It also does not respond to transmitter input and the receiver light flickers red. It worked fine the last time I used it (few months ago).

It seems like a bad connection inside the ESC case, but I'm not positive. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks!
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Champion
    Check your Tx batteries?
    Slash 4X4 Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Qualifier
    They're fully charged. The TX worked with my Rustler 10 minutes before.

RC Enthusiast
    I would think that the throttle trim is off and the esc will not arm. Try to recalibrate the esc. Just a guess..
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Qualifier
    In the manual it says the ESC will flash green steady if throttle trim is off. The flickering is nowhere near the same pattern as the flashing.

RC Qualifier
    Try unplugging your servo... if it's bad it could be shorting and overloading the bec. If throttle works with servo unplugged, servo is bad....
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    +1 also check to make sure no wires are pinched... I almost lost a BEC because of a fan wire that got pinched in a receiver housing.
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Try unplugging your servo... if it's bad it could be shorting and overloading the bec. If throttle works with servo unplugged, servo is bad....
    This must be it. I unplugged the servo and the ESC & rx lights are green. If I plug in the servo while the system is on, they go all flickery. Then unplug and they're back to normal.

Now the real question. How does a servo fry itself from sitting on the shelf?

RC Qualifier
    Dunno, it just does... When it happened to mine, it worked one day, it was working when I put it away, then a week later I went to drive it, and nothing....
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    I would think it would be caused from an initial surge of power when connecting the battery to the esc... Maybe it goes over 6v for a split second. That would be all it takes. A glitch buster may help prevent future problems.
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Qualifier
    That's very doubtful unless there is something wrong with your ESC...
    More likely the thermal expansion/contraction from the servo cooling down after use just caused a failing solder joint to fully fail....
    Dacaur