Thread: 70/30 or 50/50

RC poster

70/30 or 50/50

On my traxxas remote I have a option for 50/50 or 30/70. What do those numbers mean? I think it 30-
    Reverse and 70 forward? If so, what is best for dirt racing?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If you switch from the 50/50 to 70/30, make sure to recalibrate your esc after the switch. For me, in any form of racing, both the throttle and brake are equally important. If I was doing big mph speed runs with a big shut down area, I would consider the 70/30 setting to make the throttle input more precise to help keep the front end down or to not break traction. This setting however, will make your braking less precise. This would be magnified on a low traction surface. It all depends on your lap times. If you make the switch, and you can hit your braking points, and your lap times improve, then go for it. The best part of your question is that you can easily switch back and recalibrate the esc to get back to 50/50.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    How do you recalibrate esc?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by youda97 View Post
    How do you recalibrate esc?
    It says in your instruction manual.

RC Champion
    I prefer 70/30 for dirt track racing. I reduce the max breaking strength so that it's set just before the wheels lock which means I don't have to be that precise I'm braking hard.
    Last edited by Mr Wolf; 03-10-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Mr wolf has a point. If you are using a computer radio with a screen that shows a digital % of braking endpoint, this would work well. I am using the traxxas link, and I cannot see it, and it has to be adjusted by feel...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    I actually set my max brake strength in the ESC settings (MMP) but when I ran a TRX radio and VXL ESC set-up I just set the multi-function knob to brake strength during practice once and after few laps managed to tweak it down to a level that worked for well for me. It allowed me to just throw the brakes on without worrying about skidding out.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC poster
    Hi i recently bought a traxxas rustler vxl with the 8400 lipo battery i know how to change to low voltage detection setting but i thought you had to do something on the remote it has neutral 50/50 and 50/70 could anybody help me don't know what to do???

RC Enthusiast
    The voltage meter for the vxl esc doesn't require any adjustments on the remote. The esc will detect the low voltage and take action on its own. The first step being a 50% power cut when the voltage gets close to dangerous*, then a complete power cut to the throttle when it has reached the minimum safe area* but you will still have steering. As well as a slow flashing red light during both of those.

*assuming correct calibration of the voltage detection system.

I was told(not by traxxas) the 70/30 setting was geared toward nitro cars, having never messed with nitro(not even in the eighties when nitro was cool) I have no way of confirming this.
    I tried the setting for a while and liked the long throttle stroke but as stated by rag6 wasn't near as happy with the short braking stroke, perhaps the large weekly difference in tracks and dirt conditions we race on made the 70/30 difficult for me.
    I would give it a go as you have nothing to loose, going back to 50/50 is a simple recalibration.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Just I thought, you might want to check out the rules at the tracks you will be racing at. I've only heard that some tracks don't allow for reverse on race nights. So something to look into.