RC poster

Question Slasher Noob, your thoughts please.

Hello all,

Im new to the RC world and after lots of research and reading on this forum I'm looking at getting the 1/16 Slash 4x4 (#70054-1) Mike jenkins edition for X-mas as my first RC. (Due to budget and looks over others)

The first add-on's I plan on getting right away are as follows.

87051 * TBR SC RACER FRONT BUMPER, DLSR REAR SKID, CS CHASSIS SET

3064X: Wire harness, parallel battery connection (iD compatible)

2925X: Traxxas Series 1 Power Cell 6-Cell NiMH Battery, 1200mAh (NiMH, 6-C flat, 7.2V, 2/3A)

6533: Receiver, micro, TQi 2.4GHz with telemetry & TSM (5-channel)

2972: Traxxas EZ-Peak Dual 100W NiMH/LiPo dual charger with iD Auto Battery Identification

Integy Type II Steel Roll Cage Body for 1/16 Traxxas Slash VXL T3508

That's it for now until I get good at driving it. Keep in mind I will just be using the slasher for recreational fun/bashing at home running the streets some dirt and gravel. Is there anything else I would need/recommend in order to make the add-on's happen?

Thank you all in advance!

RC Racer
    I would recomend just getting a erevo vxl its he same as the slash exept for wide wheel base bigger and wider tires different body and it has a rear wing the e revo 1/16 is also better off road and has more sftermarket parts I used to have the slash but converted it to the erevo but all he money I put into it I could have just bought a new erevo but if you still want the slash I would ditch traxxas batteries and charges also ditch he roll cage thay are pretty tough wih out roll cages and the roll cage might brake other things also you dont need tsm if you keeping it brushed and lipos are better hat nimh youll get more power and run time with less weight

RC poster
    Ok thanks yogertdog, what u said being considered if I did go the Merv route I may not be able to get it for x-mas. Is the wait and the extra $160 price tag worth it?

RC Champion
    Depends. If you have buddies that have mini slashes or other mini sct's then get the slash, otherwise, the merv, or even better imo, a mini summit, is worth the wait.
    In my experience, short course trucks are only fun when you are racing other short course trucks, otherwise they are just a crappier version of another truck...
    Dacaur

RC poster
    No buddies with slashes, I don't know anyone that has an rc for that matter. Just something I'm looking at getting into on my own I prefer the Merv over the summit just based on looks.

RC Qualifier
    If its just for you and your intent is to go out front and have fun driving over whatever is in your path - the merv is your best 1/16 bet by a long shot. I know its tough to wait but for all around bashing the merv is the best 1/16 out there

Quote Originally Posted by yogertdog View Post
    I would recomend just getting a erevo vxl its he same as the slash exept for wide wheel base bigger and wider tires different body and it has a rear wing the e revo 1/16 is also better off road and has more sftermarket parts I used to have the slash but converted it to the erevo but all he money I put into it I could have just bought a new erevo but if you still want the slash I would ditch traxxas batteries and charges also ditch he roll cage thay are pretty tough wih out roll cages and the roll cage might brake other things also you dont need tsm if you keeping it brushed and lipos are better hat nimh youll get more power and run time with less weight
    Don't forget that the MERV VXL also has a brushless combo VXL-3m/4000kV and TSM (if you need it).

If you need it to look like a Slash, take the wing mount off and get a Slash body.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Ok then I guess the Merv it is. I'll start looking for upgrades like the skid plates and such to give it a little more protection. Thank you guys!

RC Racer
    I recomend rpm products they are great avoid metal it just brakes other things also locking he rear diff is handy and if you dont like all the play wih the tires get rpm axle carriers

RC poster
    I recomend rpm products they are great avoid metal it just brakes other things also locking he rear diff is handy and if you dont like all the play wih the tires get rpm axle carriers
    I was thinking about locking my rear diff, could you give some more thoughts on it? Have you broken anything after locking the diff? Does it affect handling if its only in the rear? Thanks!
    Traxxas E-Revo 1/16 Brushed

RC Champion
    Yes it would affect handling. Unless you are going to try to turn it into a crawler, there is no point in locking either diff.
    Dacaur

RC poster
    I'm do more off-road driving usually, that's why I was wondering if I should locked the diff. But you have a good point there. Thanks for the input Dacaur
    Traxxas E-Revo 1/16 Brushed

RC poster
    Rpm products, got it. I also read a lot on here about tbr products being good and to stay away from integy.

What about a good battery charger, I've read mixed reviews about the ez dual charger from traxxas?

RC Enthusiast
    im new and been a happy rider with the traxxas ezpeak. ^^
    weary like you at the start but all rainbows so far.

rpm yup, integy premium unnecessary.
    if u dig into my thread you'll also see i went with tbr plating and loving it. its become my favorite piece on the car now, dollar wise.

very happy with the merv
    craving 1/10 lately, but it's too much dollar in the long run for me.

RC poster
    Ok cool, thnx!

Anyone know if it's possible/ok to run 1 lipo and 1 nimh at the same time?

RC Racer
    no
    you need two battles with the same MaH rating.

RC Racer
    I drive alot off road and locking the rear diff made it much better you can get throught snow grass and mud easier but I left the front diff unlocked for the sake of handling

but if you drive mainly on road dont lock diffs

RC poster
    Ok thnx!

Good to know.

RC Competitor
    I have the slash and every time I drive it I wished I had the revo. I bought it because it was cheaper and I've had a lot of fun with it but it does have trouble with grass and is very hard to drive at higher speeds because it rolls so much. I wouldn't bother with the running two batteries at once either because it just adds extra weight and the suspension doesn't handle it very well at least on my slash.

RC poster
    Ok well it definitely seems like the revo is the way to go. So I'll be getting me a MERV even if I have to wait a couple extra months. In the mean time I can make my wishlist of parts and save up for those too. Lol

RC Racer
    I recommend getting pink spings for the back and black for the front it helped me alot

RC poster
    I recommend getting pink spings for the back and black for the front it helped me alot
    Helped you out how? And what brand?

RC Racer
    Traxxas brand the colors are spring rates they got the ride height I wanted and the rebound I wanted

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by IRDrcBR View Post
    I'm do more off-road driving usually, that's why I was wondering if I should locked the diff. But you have a good point there. Thanks for the input Dacaur
    The MERV comes with differentials that can be tuned by changing the oil. Use a thicker silicone oil and it will give you more traction while still allowing some wheel spin for cornering. I have 100,000 wt oil in mine. I don't race, I usually bash on gravel, so it works great. You might want to adjust thicker or thinner depending on what surface you drive on.