RC poster

Few amateur questions

First I am a rc amateur. I have slash 4x4, i have upgraded the a arms, hub carriers, got new tires for dirt
    racing. I got the king headz motor mount. losi 2.5 spring with the traxxas big bore shocks. Is the any other must do upgrades I should do? Also the real amateur question, what is the servo and what does it do?
    Whats the point in upgrading it? Thanks.

RC Racer
    The servo is the black box on the front of the chassis that turns the front wheels. The only reason I upgrade mine is to eliminate slop and extend the time I have till I buy another. If you decide to upgrade this I would highly suggest a high torque servo.

RC Racer
    What did you upgrade too? I am on the fence about buying a new servo, heard good and bad about diff brands but I dont want to do a BEC so I am just curious.

RC poster
    When you say slop, what do you mean? Are the gears on the factory one not as tight as on in a aftermarket one?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Most decent servos don't need a BEC in a slash... Something like a Savox 1258 is a REALLY good servo... but isnt cheap. Or, the Hitech 5645MG is a good one for less money. Slightly better specs than the stock servo and metal gears so its strong.

There are so many servo options out there... without knowing what you want to spend its impossible to just recommend the right one.

RC Champion
    I have a 2wd Slash Since last April and have not had any issues with the steering servo,(knock on wood). What is the main reason(s) for up grading to an aftermarket servo?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Most decent servos don't need a BEC in a slash... Something like a Savox 1258 is a REALLY good servo... but isnt cheap. Or, the Hitech 5645MG is a good one for less money. Slightly better specs than the stock servo and metal gears so its strong.

There are so many servo options out there... without knowing what you want to spend its impossible to just recommend the right one.

lets say i got an extra 100 bucks for a servo. Then what should I get?

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I have a Hobbico CS170 digital ttitanium gear servo that puts out 333oz. of torque. They have them on Tower Hobbies for $89.99. I used mine on a competition crawler for about a year, and when I quit doing that (in 2008), I stuck it on my BL E-Maxx. It's been turning Big Joes 40 series tires with no problem. It's basically the same as a Hitec, only cheaper. The same thing from Hitec costs $30 more....
    Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 03-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10