Thread: mods & upgrades

RC Racer

mods & upgrades

could you guys list me some upgrades and mods i should do to my stock slash 4x4?

Upgredes, Mip X-Duty axles aluminum motor mount and a different motor system.
    Slash Ultimate El Sob special MIP King Headz 3PL

RC Qualifier
    what do you have done so far

i would say kingheadz motor mount and slipper adapter, MIP X-Duty CVD's, MMP 2400
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 03-07-2012 at 10:11 AM.

RC Champion
    to start off, RPM front and rear a arms. Better shocks, IMO powerstrokes by proline. Heatsink and fan. ESC fan. 3s lipo. Bunch of pinions and spurs. pro line switch tires or trenchers tires. If its the ultimate, leave the shocks, those are better than stock. But if its not the ultimate, buy the aluminum knuckles, casterblocks are rear hub carriers. MIP axles front and rear. Kingz headz motor mount. and use the vxl system for a little bit and if you want to go better. El Sob and Koda Dank have the memo, the castle 2400 system, something im saving up for.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    I've just done the same thing, and here are the list of what i think that's essential/good upgrades you should get:

MIP 10130 Rear X-Duty CVD Kit Slash 4x4
    MIP 10132 Front X-Duty CVD Kit Slash 4x4 (Lot of people use stock for front, but I'd like to have it as well).
    Get a spare Hitec DIGITAL servo in case the stock one goes bad.

And maybe esc-motor later, if you do, then the following are good options to go with the more powerful power system:

Aluminum Motor Mount
    Traxxas 5352R HD Slipper Clutch Rebuild Kit E-Revo Brushless
    Traxxas 5351 Slipper Pressure Plate E-Revo Brushless
    Traxxas 6893X Aluminum Bearing Adapter

IMHO, all stock A-Arms, posts, bumpers are VERY sturdy and good, NO need to replace with RPM. I did buy RPM because I didn't know better. It's hard to believe that the stock ones can easily be broken unless you jump 25 feet high
    Last edited by hskb; 03-07-2012 at 04:21 PM.

RC Competitor
    I think it depends on where or what you want to do with it.

LIPO's & charger provide more speed & more run time - I reccomend you master 2S before moving to a 3S or just stick with a 2S.

For improved handling I would start with sway bars. Next I would consider shocks. then depending on what or where you are running - tires. Tires could move to first in the list for your run conditions.

For bashing keeping the dirt out could be number one. -it was for me. Do it your self drive shaft mod, overcover or overtray. When I did this I also added an ESC fan & motor heat sink. Other things to improve the durability - Alum motor mount with larger bearing - Kingzhead works great. I also added Traxxas ARM guards - I have not bent or broke a shock since.

RC Racer
    we have a small group and we only run sc on parking lots (med 50x80 track). so the only rule we have is 2cell lipo onlyso
    so i pick up a used slash 4x4 (just a basic) with a center dif
    i didnt get a chance to run it yet.but im going to order sway bars and street fighters

RC Enthusiast
    we do the same here, (parking lot racing). I'm running sway bars, and my buddy doesn't, he tends to pick up tires more than me. also spring choice and suspension setup tend to help. post back on how you like the street fighters. we are still running stock tires, which is kinda nice they tend to slip and slide through the turns at times.
    Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Do what El Sob and Koda Dank said New motor (castle 2400), mip axles, king headz motor mount. If I bought a brand new truck, I would buy these at the same time. Amazing difference!

RC Racer
    Again, if he is limited to a 2s lipo, there may be better options than the 2400. Castle makes a very nice 3700.

RC Racer
    Alum c-hubs and better shocks, the list goes on and on. The sky is the limit!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
    Again, if he is limited to a 2s lipo, there may be better options than the 2400. Castle makes a very nice 3700.
    I still run the 2s lipos in my 2400, just because I get a new motor, I'm not going to stop using my old batteries. It works fine with 2s and awesome on 3s. In my opinion, most of us are going to want to go faster at some point.

RC Qualifier
    if your gonna be running only 2s and you have no real need for bigger batts. then i would go with the mmp 3800. that way you can still run a 3s if desired

RC Qualifier
    I wouldn't upgrade anything until you've broken something.

But a 2s lipo and charger will be a good investment for starters.
    SSC SLASH 4X4