Thread: Radio Question

RC Enthusiast

Radio Question

If I use my Specktrum radio a Dx3r Pro with a reciever do I still have to unlock the car first with the stock radio to get the 100 mph speed?

RC Racer
    yes. you need to unlock the car first using the IOS app and your TQI radio.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the support. I was hoping to avoid the saga.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    meh the unlocking is easy.

But then you'll probably have to hook the ESC up to a computer, and go into Castle Link and disable Castle Link Live.

RC Enthusiast
    Can I just buy another ESC and still get the 100mph. Sell the orignal one on ebay.

RC Racer
    why would you spend more money to buy another ESC borrow a friends ipod touch or iphone 3 or 4 or 4s load the app on it and unlock the car it will take you a max of 10 minutes once the car is unlocked it will stay unlocked so you will not need your friends ipod or ipone touch anymore. after that you can either use the stock tqi or bind any radio you wish to the car.

RC Enthusiast
    I have an I pod. Just wanted some advice. Any auto questions I can help out with. Been a mechanic for 25 years.

RC Racer
    cool so you will be good to go dock your ipod touch and look in the app sore for the traxxas link app and the download is free

RC Enthusiast
    you have the spinning x

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones Auto View Post
    Can I just buy another ESC and still get the 100mph. Sell the orignal one on ebay.
    Sure... you've got a couple of options. The XO ESC is just a MMM with an additional cap bank, and some code so that it only works with a TQi receiver. I'm not sure if you can buy the cap bank from Castle, but you can add your own if you like.

I use this cap bank on my ERBE, but anything like this would work.

A buddy of mine is using a honk kong brand ESC, he pulled 93 mph via GPS the other day so it doesn't seem to be holding him back any.

The downside to swapping out the radio and esc is you'll loose the telemetry, which is a great feature.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks again for the support. I already have the Traxxas app loaded. Waiting for the x01 to arrive.