RC Racer

Battery and gearing issues

Hey everyone. I just got into the hobby and I'm having a blast with it. I have a 2wd Slash VXL that I ran with a 9.6 5000 mah nimh with 23/86 gearing. I don't have a heat gun yet but after the first run the motor was too hot to touch. I dropped the gearing to 19/86 and that seemed to help a little but the lack of top speed was evident. I was wondering if you guys think that an 8.4 battery with the 23/86 gearing would give me a little more top speed than the 19/86 with a 9.6 but without the heat issues. I was a little surprised I had the heat problem with the 9.6 battery. I run on pavement and do two block runs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I also have a Rustler VXL with the stock gear ratio and stock battery and haven't had any heat issues with it doing the same runs and a little off-road.

RC Racer
    Thanks for responding.

RC Champion
    Maybe it's beacause the 9.6v is heavier than the 8.4v?
    Try it with a 8.4. 19/86 is good gearing for on the street.

RC Racer
    It snowed here today but I'm gonna try it tomorrow. I need to get a heat gun.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    You really need the temp gun to know for sure. I cannot hold my finger to a 160 motor for more than a sec, and I worked a broiler for 3 years(Dead finger nerves lol). You may be at a good temp and not know it.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Yeah, I think the temp gun will be my next purchase. What is the recommended temp for the Velineon?

RC Racer
    Update - I got a temp gun and ran it hard for a little bit. I could touch the motor but only for about 2-3 seconds and the heat gun said it was only 120 degrees. I'm gonna put the 23/86 back in and see what that hits.