Thread: Drifting Tires

RC Racer

Drifting Tires

Hey guys,
    Ive searched around and i cant find exactly what i need. Are there any drift tires that come pre mounted that fit the rally well? I want to get into drifting and I want some new drift tires.
    Thanks so much!

RC Racer
    Are these what i want??? They are pretty expensive i think... http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-4739-26m...item3cb7db174e

RC Competitor
    Well there are certainly cheaper, but it's hard to find them pre-mounted. May I ask why you want them pre-mounted? It's really easy to mount them up, you just chill the wheels in the freezer, heat the tires up in near boiling water, then pop them together. No glue needed. Most people don't want them pre-mounted because there are so many combinations of wheels/tires. You can find the separately cheaper on ebay and overseas at places like R2hobbies.com.

RC Competitor
    Oh and watch your offset or you'll have rubbing issues. The factory offset is 3mm.

RC Racer
    Ok thanks. So should i just get those tires and mount them on my stock rims??? I didnt know how hard it was to mount them thats why i wanted them pre mounted.
    Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Well getting tires OFF of rims is a bit trickier, especially when they're glued on like the stock ones are. You're better off just getting new wheels (they're basically $1 each) and putting the new tires (also about $1 each) on the new wheels. Plus that way you can always switch back and forth depending on the conditions/surface.

RC Racer
    Thanks so much for your help so far!!!!!!!!! So would these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Mini...#ht_2123wt_689 work with these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Produc...825wt_982????? Thanks so much!!!!

RC Competitor
    Yup, those should work together. (26mm) Enjoy!

RC Racer
    Thanks so much!!!

RC Competitor
    I had bother trying to mount the cheap R2 replica t-drift wheels. Even with freezing the alloy and heating up the tire, i wish there was an easier way to mount them. Pre-mounted much easier way imo.

RC Competitor
    Well of course pre-mounted is easier, all the work is done, but it limits your combinations of wheels and tires.

I bought SIX sets of wheels and tires from R2, tossed all the wheels in the freezer overnight, put 4 tires in boiling water the next day for about 1 minute, set each tire on a paper plate, grabbed a wheel out of the freezer and it snapped right in with barely any effort. I guess if you rush the heat/cold process it could be more difficult, but I've never mounted tires so easily...usually it involves glue and lots of stretching/cursing!

RC Competitor
    I froze the alloy for about 2 hours and used boiling water also. They did go on easier but I found i could never get the full tire round the alloy always only partly on.

RC Competitor
    Where did you get alloy (metal I assume?) wheels from? Only thing R2 sells is plastics as far as I know. Yeah I can imagine metal wheels wouldn't shrink as much as plastic from freezing...wonder if using some lube like WD40 or something would work.

RC Competitor
    When i said alloy i ment the wheel part. I got the "1/10 RC Car 5 Spoke Wheel Sports 26mm - Black" Maybe i should i waited longer when freezing them. Would be helpful to see a video of someone putting the R2 tires on the wheels using the freezing and heating process. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread ASneakyGoomba lol

RC Racer
    Its all good bro

RC Competitor

RC Qualifier
    I still havent really found a great way to get them on yet either, i usually end up damaging one or two snd they spin on the wheel, so i have to put some glue on to stop them. The best way i have found is to use a a pair of small needle nose pliears and keep rotating the end of them between the tire and wheel while i'm pushing the tire on, a small flathead screwdriver does the same
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Racer
    Wow that video makes this look so easy. hopefully i have an easy time when i do mine

RC Competitor
    All six sets of mine literally went on just like that, and once the temps equalized, they are very snug...no slippage. I do realize though that there can be differences in tolerance so there could be some that won't work out that well. I think the main thing is not to rush it...let the wheels sit in the freezer for several hours, overnight even, and get the tires good and hot then do it one-at-a-time as quickly as you can.