Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast

Angry Epic Fail @ dying Chrome Wheels.

Epic Fail: The Proline Desperados are not taking the Rit dye. I boiled a ginormous pot of H2O, poured it into a 5 gallon bucket, mixed in 1/2 a bottle of Rit Kelly Green dye. I have my wheels attached a separate piece of fishing line connected to a pole that stretches across the bucket. The dyed water looked promising green. I dropped the wheels in there for 5 minutes checking them ever so often. Didn't take, so I poured another 1/4 of the bottle of dye, another 5 goes by. Still not taking. I pour the final 1/4 of the bottle, checking again 5 minutes later. Still to no avail. Run to my RC space grab the Rit Black dye, pour 1/4 of that. No bueno, pour another 1/4 of the black. 45 minutes later & they have hardly turned or taken any of the dye, maybe in the crevices. Anyone have a clue what to do or are these chromies not dye able???

I'll upload some pics in a few. Arhhhhhh
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    i boiled about 1/2 bottle in a medium sized pot filled the rest of the way with water. i brought the water to a boil added 1/2 bottle of dye stired to mix and let boil for about another minute or so. i turned the heat to a simmer and added my chrome wheels i stired them every 2 minutes or so until i got my desired color. they turned out dark chrome but more gunmetalish (i think due to me using the rit bottle i think my wife put the last drops of a brown bottle, thinking it was black.) pretty cool color.

are you not cooking them the whole time? i have never had anytype of wheel (except black) not take color. i also have heard it matter what altitude you live in also, but dont quote me on that.

hope i helped,
    derrick

ps Man i was looking forward to your wheels man! its a darn shame it didnt work.
    http://www.hobzob.com/garage/rc/derrick_gillespie

I dont have them staying on heat. Possibly the problem? My pics just uploaded..... Hardly any elevation here prolly right at sea level. LOL

Pot of boiling water:

testing string height:

Foil platter:

Rit dye mixed in the water:

Dipped in the bucket of dye:
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Completed concoction of the Green Kelly & Black dye:

This is what they looked like 25+ minutes later:

They are still sitting in there. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Ok so I'm going to put the dyed water in a pot and bring it to a boil and try this with some heat. I'll add the wheels back once the water starts rumbling. Then leave at a simmer and hopefully 5 mins later this should work???
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Sorry to hear about the dye episode. My first attempts didn't take well either, lol. I know that's it's not consistent with your original plan, but any chance of you stripping the chrome and just going green? Who's the guy over in the erbe forum who dyed his chrome wheels green. He might be able to help. Maybe they just need to soak?

Oh and you know you're an rc addict when you're in the kitchen for hours over the stove dying wheels and forget to make something to eat. 'oh, hey honey, whatcha making yourself to eat?' oh nothing for me, im cooking nylon wheels for the digger

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Oh and you know you're an rc addict when you're in the kitchen for hours over the stove dying wheels and forget to make something to eat. 'oh, hey honey, whatcha making yourself to eat?' oh nothing for me, im cooking nylon wheels for the digger
    You know that was so wrong. LOL totally fun.

I'm trying round to and see what happens. Come on baby come on baby.......
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Like i said before you can't dye chrome you need to sand all the chrome off for anything to adhere to it !!!!! it just won't stick

RC Racer
    yeah man a "hard" simmer should do it. like hmmmmm almost a boil is the best i can describe it. it may take more than 5 mins though/ check on them every 2 mins. ide say it took mine 20 maybe 30. the longer you cook them the richer the color.

let me know,
    derrick

They are actually starting to look like the Traxxas black chrome wheels. They are going to look like something other than the original chrome. What's funny it looks like the inside back of the wheel has taken the best. Hmmmmm....I dunno
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    if you or someone tries this again try a scotch bright pad and rough up the chrome b4 hand. not enough to go through the chrome but just the clear coat on the chrome. that reason the back is taking better is because they are like a real car probably. clear coat on the front chrome none on the back chrome as a time and cost saving measure. i have a collision repair and auto fab degree thats how i know about this stuff.

derrick

RC Qualifier
    Do you have to dechrome them with acetone or something first? I think the chrome coating would negate any dye...but I could be wrong.
    P2de VXL - Summit

How do you think they are looking now? I can cook these all night and slap some gravy on them in the morning. LOL

Should I yank them out and scuff them up a little?

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsStock View Post
    Like i said before you can't dye chrome you need to sand all the chrome off for anything to adhere to it !!!!! it just won't stick
    You are one bold man to tell us you "can't anything" it is now my personal mission to dye some wheel, "chrome", to a color just for you. Not sure if you seen the pix I posted in the other thread but aaahhh, yup, they were chrome. This isn't any kind of abrasive or aggressive confrontation, its just a, .....what are you talking about, I showed pictures and your saying it can't be done? K, I don't want to look like im fool of it here so maybe I should get r done!

Digger here's the problem, and if I new, or seen the rims first I could have saved you the time. You are trying to dye black rims. To get the color behind the chrome and show through, it would need to be white rims under that chrome. You started with black rims, proline chromed them and so on. You can't dye black. But look at the bright side, the fishing line come out awesome. Jk hope it didn't cut deep
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-02-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

You know I felt the same way dread that made me want to work on them that much harder.

Yeah you know now I see that they are black wheels slapped with some chrome. Arhhh....hey at least they came out a black chrome. It's all good though,. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. I still have a set of wheels that were ordered twice. I'm really in no hurry to mount these tires, so I might set these off to the side and find s replacement. What kind of good 3.2 "dye able chromies" do you recommend! They would be mounted on 2.8 Trenchers. I know they'll have to be 17mm hex. So....this could be a future project of some sort.

An well heres my results.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Not exactly true. I've seen members rigs on these very pages who dyed chrome wheels.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...)-check-it-out...

This link was from page 12 in the erbe forum. Dyability has a lot to do with the material the wheels are made of. My onl thing is im wondering if the chrome deparados are plated black rims.

Guys, if you want to be full in on the conversation, you gotta read the previous posts, all of them! This will prevent the Pete and repeat.

Rpm is the only company that advertises they can be dyed. so maybe the material, white, combination of reasons?
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-03-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Not exactly true. I've seen members rigs on these very pages who dyed chrome wheels.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...)-check-it-out...

This link was from page 12 in the erbe forum. Dyability has a lot to do with the material the wheels are made of. My onl thing is im wondering if the chrome deparados are plated black rims.
    Yep me looking closer they ended up being black wheels that were chrome plated. Not all was lost I still have a set of wheels. Next time I'll look closer at the wheels to be sure they are white wheels that are chromed out.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Wow sorry for the comment didn't mean no disrespect !!! hey digger send them to me i will wrap them green for ya !

RC Racer
    i would try the scuff man. see how the "inside" of the rim is darker? the part that usually covered with tire. its lacking or very very lightly covered with clear coat. i just dont want you to ruin a good set of wheels man. when we paint a chrome rim to make it a "black" chrome rim all we do is scuff it and spray it with heavily thinned out candy black.

derrick

RC Champion
    Well, hey, looks like you can dye chrome after all! Yeah, like me, the stuff learned along the way was worth more than the cost of some wheels, definitely. I have a good feeling that I'll be dying more parts in the future. Maybe some TRAXXAS twin spokes??? It'd be nice to find the stablemaxx wheels in white.

Good show tho DiggerPede. And after the wheels cool, you can always hit them withthe hot dye again at another time. Did they coat fairly evenly?

Well, hey, looks like you can dye chrome after all! Yeah, like me, the stuff learned along the way was worth more than the cost of some wheels, definitely. I have a good feeling that I'll be dying more parts in the future. Maybe some TRAXXAS twin spokes??? It'd be nice to find the stablemaxx wheels in white.

Good show tho DiggerPede. And after the wheels cool, you can always hit them withthe hot dye again at another time. Did they coat fairly evenly?
    Yeah they are goin to work good enough for me. Im not really that mad, at least i have some wheels. Hahs I just chunked all the dyed water. I might sell them the next time I go to the track. Who knows.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Wow sorry for the comment didn't mean no disrespect !!! hey digger send them to me i will wrap them green for ya !
    How can ya do that??
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    How can ya do that??
    With vinyl wrap cant load a pic or i would show u u got email

You took it worse than I ment it, my fault not yours! I liked at the post and I will admit, it all came out wrong. I was just a bit frustrated cause its like saying " you can't" right to me, after I just said "I dumped the fence", and you watched me do it lol. I posted pix for you when you said that last, and I've seen it done. So guess I felt like you just ignored me lol. Sorry

But im still gonna dye some wheels! That feeling isn't going away till its done loll!!!!

With vinyl wrap cant load a pic or i would show u u got email
    Sure thing I'll PM ya.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I have never seen chrome dyed but I was thinking you were going to paint them. Ive never painted plastic Rc wheels except for black. But I've painted lots of other chrome plastic peaces in myotherhobby. They make a spectra flame green that would havelooked great overthe chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    I have never seen chrome dyed but I was thinking you were going to paint them. Ive never painted plastic Rc wheels except for black. But I've painted lots of other chrome plastic peaces in myotherhobby. They make a spectra flame green that would havelooked great overthe chrome.
    That could be an option too. I'm not sure what I'll do with them. I might slap the tires on them without glue and see what they look like.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Quote Originally Posted by d_gillespie View Post
    if you or someone tries this again try a scotch bright pad and rough up the chrome b4 hand. not enough to go through the chrome but just the clear coat on the chrome. that reason the back is taking better is because they are like a real car probably. clear coat on the front chrome none on the back chrome as a time and cost saving measure. i have a collision repair and auto fab degree thats how i know about this stuff.

derrick
    D my friend, Gotta be careful on the advice. A newer guy who would take his wheels and scuff them, would completely ruin them for good. No fix for those wheels if you scuff them up. That would look real bad. They have a thin chrome layer on them, and the scuffing would make em look scratched, and the part without chrome would dye. It look really terrible. The chrome is in one thin layer, And not like established coats of paint with layers. Scuffing would scratch, and chip off the chrome complety. These "chrome" wheels are entirely different chemical make up of, chromed alloys used on 1:1 scale vehicles. Really the chrome plastic part, has nothing to do with dippin them in nickel, than a chrome bath. Its a thin coating of the colored substance. Thats the big diff, so the same rules dont apply to this situation. And the inside of the wheels dyed real easy, because they dont have that layer, so the plastic is penetrated real easy. That material dyes real fast by itself. With the Dye, its a different story.

I too have painted for last 10 years. Interior homes though

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboarder View Post
    Do you have to dechrome them with acetone or something first? I think the chrome coating would negate any dye...but I could be wrong.
    Ur right to a point. That would be just to go black. The point here was to dye em with the chrome, so they turn out a shiney chrome green color. RPM chrome wheels can do this. Example, the pic below. Where just dyen turns into a Matte/flat color. Dyen over chrome, makes em shiney. Traxxas all stars have been dyed. They turn into a darkish grey color, very similar to what came out of diggs.

i would try the scuff man. see how the "inside" of the rim is darker? the part that usually covered with tire. its lacking or very very lightly covered with clear coat. i just dont want you to ruin a good set of wheels man. when we paint a chrome rim to make it a "black" chrome rim all we do is scuff it and spray it with heavily thinned out candy black.

derrick

Defiantly dont do that. D, Where as paint comes in and covers and fills in scratches, like on the lexan bodies. Dye'n doesnt do that. Dye soaks in, while paint covers. If he were to scuff em up, he couldnt even fix it by removing all the chrome, and dyen black. Only choice at that point, would be to paint them. And thats no good because the paint will chip really fast on those wheels. Especially any time it touches anything, especially when rotating.

Digg,
    Hey brotha man, Sorry to hear about that I know one thing is for certain. The heat has to be on, and constant and "right" under boil. I wouldnt call it a simmer myself, cuz than it seems low. But right below full bubbling boil is what ive had to do the last couple times I have dyed parts. Ive also tried just that, brining to boil, than off. That didnt work. Must be constant hott temperatures. Without this, By the time the water went in the bucket, it was just warm. Not hott enough to activate, and penetrate the plastic....

For example, when I boil for loong periods. (some parts take 45 minutes to do so, like the clearish yolks, and stock bellcranks) ... When a bit of the dye splashes out the pot, it will near dye the stove. I have to whipe it real fast. But thats because its steaming, piping hot, and the dye is activated... The water MUST be real hott.... Clothes.. takes stains, dyes real easy. So u can throw it in the washer, and takes dye. But the same way our wheels wont stain if we spill cranberry juice on em, They need to be penetrated by HOTT dye to get in their.

They look pretty cool the way they are though. Hope they dont chip..

And there is no doubt about it. RPM and Proline must definatly use different chrome cover material.

The inside of the Proline wheel, Is like this material...

After dye.

Also, If all else fails. I have a old pair of traxxas light chrome allstars that chipped and I wont need, I could dye em on top of the chrome to get a good foundation/comparison

RC Racer
    thanks man sorry for the bad advice guys didnt know our wheels chrome were that much differant! not to self dont scuff wheels!

derrick

Hey guys I appreciate all the helpful input. I just wish I would have looked closer at the wheels and noticed they were of black origins. It's all good though. I'm sure it's a cost thing for them to run all black wheels then chrome whatever they need to keep stocked. You bet next time I'm going to pay closer attention to what I'm looking at. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Competitor
    i found a new fry daddy at a thrift store for like 6 bucks that does a great job dying parts,that way i can do it in the garage and stay out of the kitchen...(if you know what i mean...lol) the only thing if doing a chassis you have to do half at a time,then when dye cools down pour it in a milk jug and use again next time

Quote Originally Posted by rodsbullet View Post
    i found a new fry daddy at a thrift store for like 6 bucks that does a great job dying parts,that way i can do it in the garage and stay out of the kitchen...(if you know what i mean...lol) the only thing if doing a chassis you have to do half at a time,then when dye cools down pour it in a milk jug and use again next time
    Sweet! I wish I would have kept that vat of color. I had actally thought about doing that. Ah well. Thanks for sharing that with me.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Oh and DiggerPede, don't let the black wheels underneath discourage you. I'd say the wheels are just getting primed for taking in the dye. Maybe it's just a rookie thing, but I'd say your rims are dyed right around the point where I started getting discouraged for the amount of time spent trying to dye them. I believe that you could take those rims further if you wanted. How did they look mocked up with tires?

Oak, your a great guy to have around. Seems you always go for the bright side, and that's a very important quality if you want to be a happy, healthy, successful person. Thanks for all the encouragement you offer all of us, and I hope we've given back ti you just the same.
    In this case, with his rims its not gonna happen. Im not a know all, tell all, but here now, nah, ain't happnin lol. Here's why, and I understand your thoughts. In this last post^ the black wheels underneath are from the start. Its not that Digger has gotten it to that point. Its Digger only tinted thechrome. He may have just warn through like I've done with removing tire in the pot. Look at his pic, this is before any dye was introduced to the rims. Started black, can't dye black.

one more point I want to mention, RPM has advertised for some years now about the chrome dye job. They also have a lil disclaimer at the bottom of the page stating, not responsible for other product, brand, and didn't try it bla bla ....if it fails. This could be marketing strategy to cornhole a fella into believing its only possible with their wheels but, I don't think so. Like I said, its been around for some time now, other companies don't do it, talk about it, or advertise it, but could if they wanted. That just sell more product with very lil money investment by them so why not? The more I think about it, the more I believe RPM's product material is key in this. Just a thought or possible money saver. Who's going to spend the hard $ next lol? Im doing RPM's for my own build pronto! No hard money this time.

RC Champion
    Im gonna go get the paperz, get the paperz. The community has been great to me and I've done my best to offer up advice, although not the most responsible kind, and tips based off my experiences. Lol, Thanks Dreadend. I hear you on the material make up. The Rpm wheels look promising, so much that they even offer that sky blued chrome. Im already thinking about wheels and tires again because I can just tell that the jcons aren't going to last very long.

thanks man sorry for the bad advice guys didnt know our wheels chrome were that much differant! not to self dont scuff wheels!

derrick
    Oh it was great advice, and would totally work but these bad boys are different. I knew exactly where ya came from cuz I have the same painters mentality. They are just different cuz they are a thin coat of a plastic chrome like substanace.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsbullet View Post
    Thats totally awesome. The Thrift store is a "dyen" mans best friend. Lol. But ya I found a pot large enough to fit a Stampede and Rustler Chassis at my local thrift store, along with a cheap screen, and other little pot. Gotta love. Thats nice too cuz it tends to splash, and soaks into other stuff like counters, stoves, etc real fast when its really hot. So eliminating the kitchen is definatly a plus for sure!

RC Champion
    +2 for the goodwill stores. I was able to get a stainless mixing bowl, veggie steamer and hot dog tongs for my dying sesh on tha cheap. Found a nice coffee mug with mushrooms on it for fiddy cents too!