RC Enthusiast

Brush / VS Brushless

I got a 1/16 roller, and I am toying with the two options.

The main purpose of this truck is for my son to "crawl" with. I just saw there was a diff locker, so I am going to use that as well.

Use 1/16 brushless, or go with a 27t motor with an xl5 esc.
    www.bodywerx.net

Dave Jones

RC Racer
    For crawling a brushed motor will perform better than a brushless b/c brushless has cogging issues at lower speed. I would use a esc from a crawler with braking if you are building a crawler.
    Rustler VXL
    T-Maxx 3.3
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Champion
    another vote for brushed
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    Since you are starting with a roller you can really go anyway you want. You would probably go with the stock sper and drop your pinion tooth to 14ish to get that slow speed/high TQ lower power range. If you are looking to invest a bit I would go right to a 1/10 550szie sensored brushless setup. The sensored burshless setup will get you the abality to crawl nice and slow without cogging, while also giving you the speed of burshless by changing up the gearing.

Im running a china special right now on my 1/8 Maxx. Suprisingly I can crawl veryyy well with this sensorless brushless setup. If it were sensored I could probably pull off some real crawling type terain with ease. You can look into hobbypartz.com to see what they offer in the price rage you are looking. Thats where I got my 1/8 setup.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, I decided to go with a brush 27T or 35T brushed motor, and the waterproof VXL5 ESC. I have had great luck with this setup in my 1/10 crawler.

Thanks All.
    Dave
    www.bodywerx.net

Dave Jones