RC Competitor

Post how many amps should i charge my lipo at?

just got a lipo charger and 2 batteries their 7.4v 25c 2s 5000mah but i don't know how many amps to charge at.
    Last edited by puresummit; 02-27-2012 at 06:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Contact the battery manufacture for the info or go on there web site
    rusler vxl, rusler xl-5, jato 3.3, losi 5ive T

RC Qualifier
    5000mah battery charge at 5.0 amps. example 3800mah 2s charge at 3.8 amps and so on. What kind of charger and batterys did you get?
    MMM 2200kv 4x4 Slash
    1/10 Rally
    1/16 Slash

RC Qualifier
    I do not charge my 2 cells lipo over 4 amps like Chadkillzone stated check the manufacture recommended charging procedures
    4x4 Slash 5.5 Big Block

RC Competitor
    all is said was nothing over 10amps and thats crazy so i think 5 is good

RC Qualifier
    Recommended charge / discharge rate is probably printed on the battery, in fairly small print.
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

RC Qualifier
    it's going to vary from battery to battery, but a 1c charge rate is the standard "safe" rate.

a 1c charge rate is 1 X's the capacity of the battery in amp hours. a 5000mah battery has a capacity of 5 amp hours. 1 X's 5 = 5. that gives you your 1c charge rate amp of 5

if you have a 3500mah battery, it has 3.5 amp hours, and a 1c charge rate on it would be 3.5 amps

typically, a 1c charge rate is going to charge a lipo in around an hour, no matter the cell count or capacity

some batteries are capable of a higher charge rate. the Gens Ace 2s 5000mah 40c packs claim to have a capable charge rate of 5c, meaning a whopping 25 amp charge rate personally, I've never charged mine with more than 5 amps (1c), because my charger maxes out at 5 amps, lol

BUT, you NEVER want to charge a lipo at a higher amp than what it's capable of! charging a lipo at 5c that's only rated for 3c is not only going to damage the battery, but it's possible it'll catastrophically fail (which means fire... which isn't good... for the battery or whatever is around it )

Take a close look at the battery like KewlToy suggested; most have either ratings listed on the sticker on the top or on a sticker on the back, most of the time in fairly small print
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Racer
    Charging at 1c is perfectly safe.

RC Qualifier
    I've always charged mine using the above recommendations (5000 MaH at 5.0 amps) and haven't had any issues at all. It's not really worth pushing the issue...don't play with fire!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by puresummit View Post
    all is said was nothing over 10amps and thats crazy so i think 5 is good
    I'll wager that if a battery company went thru the effort of writing real instructions, those instructions would read more than what you noted. Also, why is "nothing over 10amps" crazy?
    Last edited by Jakey; 02-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.

The best advise is to follow what the manufacturer recommends. Traxxas does not allow this type of support for other companies products on this forum.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power