RC poster

Is the R/C hobby dead?

I recently got back into R/C with a new Nitro T-Maxx 3.3. I'm supper happy with my purchase, but I can't seem to find local tracks and most of the posts on this site are like 5 years old. It's there a popular R/C Forum or is R/C starting to die?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Leinhauser01 View Post
    I recently got back into R/C with a new Nitro T-Maxx 3.3. I'm supper happy with my purchase, but I can't seem to find local tracks and most of the posts on this site are like 5 years old. It's there a popular R/C Forum or is R/C starting to die?
    I'm not convinced it's starting to die, but this forum surely isn't nearly as active as it was when I made my account several years ago. I haven't done any RC'ing in many years, but I'm attempting to get back into it. I've found a used model online and now I'm waiting for delivery.

There used to be a race track not far from where I live here in Austin, but I never drive in that direction, and without an RC of my own yet, I'm not motivated to see if it's still there. It doesn't look like it in Google Maps, though. However, there's a large complex in Hutto.. a small neighboring town to the north.

To be honest, I really don't care if I can't find any local groups (big or small) to goof around with. My son is almost 15, though, and he's the only one I really want to do it with. If he enjoys the one truck I'm getting, I'll probably get a second one. I seriously can't predict how well he'll receive it, so I'll just have to wait and see.

I work at a very large company/corporation. I've been thinking about maybe taking it to work to use on my lunch break. Maybe it'll attract the attention of some one else who enjoys this stuff and we can play together. If not... eh.. whatever.

RC Qualifier
    I think it depends on where your at. There are two local tracks in my area, both are busy as always. I personally know a few other rc guys and from time to time we get together either at the track of a place to bash at. And of course my boy goes with me which makes it worth while to hang out with.

RC isn't dying. Nitro is nowhere near as popular as it used to be since the introduction of brushless and lipo. But, that kind of goes hand in hand with the "entitlement" mindset that seems to be taking over the world. I have electric models, and they are a ton of fun. My biggest enjoyment from the hobby, after the joy my kids get out of it, is the wrenching. Not many people take the time to learn and understand nitro. It doesn't help that Amazon and ebay and the likes are putting LHS out of business, so fuel is expensive and hard to find. I checked the prices online recently and the best I can find is roughly $50 a gallon. Luckily I have a HobbyTown close, so I can get it ~$28 a gallon.

RC Champion
    Tracks are just aren't very near the city anymore mainly due to the cost of rent or available outdoor space.

Sometimes you can find small group of people locally who bash at some spots.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

IllusionX is right. Also a lot of tracks have a no nitro rule due to noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Leinhauser01 View Post
    most of the posts on this site are like 5 years old.
    Maybe just the nitro sub-forums? In the Slash 4x4 forum the whole 1st page is posts from the last 2 days.
    Slash 4x4 Ult.SC8 2150kv MIP KH
    Rustler vxl 3500

RC Racer
    I agree with the rest. the nitro forums are dead.
    The Tmaxx forum sometims can go a week without a post, but the electric forums are pretty active,

just a sign of the times

plus you have to add that a lot of people apparently just post on facebook groups, which I am on but I dont get it at all...

There was a great discussion about this very topic over on URC a little while back.

There are three things happening...
    First, nitro is nowhere near as popular as it once was, my condolences to the nitro guys. Back in the day electric could not compete with the power and runtime nitro provided, now, electric has more power and batteries are relatively inexpensive and charge a lot faster; and there is no mess, noise, or smoke (I know some like that, most don't). Plus, Traxxas has the OBA module out if you want the vroom-vroom, farty-noises, bonus!

Second, while the Traxxas site is still popular, there is a big trend with message boards like these, people are moving away from them and going to Facebook. I am connected on FB with three groups, one centered around racing, one for crawling and scalers, and one for boats. Unlike the forums, all of these people are local and all of the get-together coordination happens there. The forums are still great for talking to the larger community and there is great tech and build info, but FB puts RC in your community.

Third... Along with nitro itself becoming less popular, it has been a good number of years sense MTs were big. Seems like SCTs, scale RC, and drones are the three biggies in RC currently. Traxxas has reset the weathervane with the new X-Maxx, and generated a lot of interest. But, even with as new as the X-Maxx is, its popularity is already starting to wane, everyone locally that bought an X-Maxx has sold them, or has them up for sale.

With that, just like my beloved hard-core crawlers, there will be a niche for nitro MTs for the foreseeable future. When you look around, RC itself is still very popular, just the current trend and niche have changed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    What a shame; I hate Facebook. And I hate Zuckerberg and his feelings about not giving any one privacy. I had a Facebook account for about two years until around 2011-2012. Then I disabled my account. After not missing it for three months, I deleted it. From everything I've seen since then, Facebook hasn't changed. I don't want to be a part of a community where people are the product. It's frustrating that forums' populations are fading because of that mess of social networking.

RC Champion
    The RC world is becoming a pampered type of hobby. RTR electric is taking over. Traxxas is aiming at the newcomers not the long-time hobbyist and I can't blame them .Look at the most current features of the RC world, Lipos in general...Traxxas offer Lipos/chargers now that you don't have to worry about learning how to balance cells no more. A new Self-Righting feature that's not offered with nitro RC's. Traxxas stablility management etc...ANd don't get a debate started on the pros of Electric vs Nitro.

I think it safe to say this new Plug N Play Radio Controlled world we're in now is killing off the nitro rc's slowly
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 05-14-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    What a shame; I hate Facebook. And I hate Zuckerberg...
    FB is what it is. Avoid the drama and unfriend those that stir it up and your good. For getting 35 scale RCers to one place for a scale RC geek-est, it is gold.

As far as Zucky goes, like too many others, he is someone that has gotten rich off of creating nothing but an idea. I guess in that every act alone there is genius. Just like any other part of the inter-web, it knows what you tell it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Electric is in and Nitro is fading away. lipos offer better run times and longer. just saying might get into electric.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

I think when it really comes down to it would you rather fill your car up with gas you have to pay for every time you drive it and tinker around the tune it perfectly or just plug a battery in and turn the ESC on and drive? Yes nitro is VERY fun ive had a tmaxx, Revo, and jato. Very fun and the smell lol. But electric is simpler and easier to use. Nitro cars are usually stronger than electric but still electric is easy, fun and simple. Plus it's cleaner and not as much of a fire hazard.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    What a shame; I hate Facebook. And I hate Zuckerberg and his feelings about not giving any one privacy. I had a Facebook account for about two years until around 2011-2012. Then I disabled my account. After not missing it for three months, I deleted it. From everything I've seen since then, Facebook hasn't changed. I don't want to be a part of a community where people are the product. It's frustrating that forums' populations are fading because of that mess of social networking.
    Facebook has its good and bad. But it really comes down to how you manage your privacy.

Do you just give anyone access to your life? No. I have a few groups of friends and acquaintances. The later gets restricted access to my profile and pictures.

So, before your kid finds out what Facebook is (whatever your age may be), you better learn about it, and teach future generations how to setup permissions properly.

I see organized R/C racing has slowed down. Less classes of R/C's being raced. Racing R/C's gets expensive, especially if you get serious about it and start hitting the circuit and not just the local track.

I see a few reasons why but all pretty much based on the economy.

1. Many R/C hobby shops that were mom and pop shops have not been able to keep up with online sales and the hobby super stores. When they closed their doors a lot of sponsored racers were dropped. Didn't Traxxas drop their sponsored R/C racing program?

2. It takes a lot to keep up a track, insurance, equipment, land, and one of the most important aspects, getting the help to maintain the track.

I stopped racing a few years ago, raced for about a year after my sponsor closed their doors.

Used to be Nitro Buggy, Nitro 1/10 truck 2wd, Nitro 4WD 1/10 Monster Truck, Nitro Truggy, Electric buggy and Electric 1/10 2WD truck.

Now the field is mainly Nitro Buggy, Electric Buggy, Electric Short Coarse, Nitro Short Coarse... 2 WD stadium trucks, truggies and Monster Trucks have seem to have fallen off the field.
    All Lives Matter

I don't have any tracks within 1-2h of me. Seriously, the hobby ain't dead, it's just there are a lot of bashers in your/my area and not a ton of racers.
    Rusty 2wd: Dynamite Tazer 3300kv BL System

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    I see organized R/C racing has slowed down. Less classes of R/C's being raced. Racing R/C's gets expensive, especially if you get serious about it and start hitting the circuit and not just the local track.

I see a few reasons why but all pretty much based on the economy.

1. Many R/C hobby shops that were mom and pop shops have not been able to keep up with online sales and the hobby super stores. When they closed their doors a lot of sponsored racers were dropped. Didn't Traxxas drop their sponsored R/C racing program?

2. It takes a lot to keep up a track, insurance, equipment, land, and one of the most important aspects, getting the help to maintain the track.

I stopped racing a few years ago, raced for about a year after my sponsor closed their doors.

Used to be Nitro Buggy, Nitro 1/10 truck 2wd, Nitro 4WD 1/10 Monster Truck, Nitro Truggy, Electric buggy and Electric 1/10 2WD truck.

Now the field is mainly Nitro Buggy, Electric Buggy, Electric Short Coarse, Nitro Short Coarse... 2 WD stadium trucks, truggies and Monster Trucks have seem to have fallen off the field.

Actually there are more classes: 2wd buggy (stock and mod), 2wd truck (stock and mod), 4wd buggy, 2wd SCT, 4wd sct, 8th scale ebuggy, nitro buggy, nitro truggy, etruggy
    Rusty 2wd: Dynamite Tazer 3300kv BL System

RC Qualifier
    Here in Reno, we just had our lhs move to a bigger location and build a sc track, oval, and crawler course. They also are very competitive with online pricing and can get parts the next day if they aren't in stock. I try to give them all my business although I have not tried the track yet. Nitro is going away but I feel the rc scene locally is exploding. We have 3 tracks in-town and a bunch of skate parks, also a brand new "drone" store.

The "bring your truck to work" idea is good also. I started with helicopters, my dad got me a super cheap brushed 4x4 (volcano) then my co-worker brought his new slash 4x4 into work. Fast forward to now and there are 4 of us with rc's, not including my wife, mom, dad, or 4 cousins that all have rc's now. I feel the rc hobby is taking off, especially if you consider how poplar quad-copters got I the last couple years, and don't forget about scalers either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StampedeSwag13 View Post
    Actually there are more classes: 2wd buggy (stock and mod), 2wd truck (stock and mod), 4wd buggy, 2wd SCT, 4wd sct, 8th scale ebuggy, nitro buggy, nitro truggy, etruggy
    I was speaking ROAR sanctioned racing.... No mod anything in ROAR events, and Truggy racing Electric or Nitro is almost dead. 2WD buggy, haven't seen a 2wd buggy race in decades down here.

The main racing that's sanctioned I see down here is Nitro Buggy 4WD Sportsman and Pro, Nitro and Electric SCT 4WD, on occasion enough guys will get their Nitro Truggies out, we need a minimum of 5 in a class for them to make up a race for... And the attendance has been all Buggy and SCT and mostly 4WD.
    All Lives Matter

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    R/C is going through a ton of changes and for me I'm just sad that my lhs isnt holding the 'funny' races where you could enter pretty much anything and "race" it as long as it was 1/10 scale those were a blast because the point was to have fun but less and less people came and the lhs dropped the event. Now I race with some friends at the track when there is very little people there or at the abandoned constution site where we set up some checkpoints and race for fun. I think after people get over drones then things should go back to normal.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

RC poster
    The hobby is not dead for sure, just changes overtime. Where I live alot of people just stay close to home and bash

RC Champion
    I wouldn't say the hobby is dead yet, but it is slowly degrading where I live. I haven't driven any of my cars in at least 6 months because no one I know does rc anymore and I got into other things. Plus my lhs just closed its doors after 25 years and my local rc forum shutdown. I'm not really into rc anymore but I can confidently say its becoming less popular, this site basically proves my point, back when I joined it was extremely active, now it might be half of what it was.

I dont think it is dying, it is just fluctuating throughout different areas. I know about a half an hour north of where I live there are real races weekly, and at least 100+ attend every time.
    "Gone racing"

RC racing in my area is still going on but it has slowed down a lot. Two of the three Off Road tracks now devote at least one night a week to Drone racing. They put gates up on the track and race FPV Quads around the track.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    I used to wonder the same thing, I just got back into the hobby last year.
    I bought a slayer pro and revo 3.3, of the 5 or 6 tracks that are within a 2 hour drive only one is nitro friendly and the track was just a big over grown mess.

The funny thing is a week after I got my slayer my neighbor got a jato and then next thing you know there was another 2 people who bought new MT's. We all just bash them around at the park or on the street, I think people just enjoy beating their rc's around home and don't go to tracks unless they are very close.

RC Champion
    What I notice is the group of people who bash and/or race is always the same. That's when race tracks are organised, and live as long as the group keep interest in RC.

A lot of people around my town are actually getting RC cars. Since I walk around the whole town basically, people realize how fun they can be LOL

MT & Truggy racing is mostly dead, there may be a few local tracks still running them, but nothing major anymore.

The only track near me only runs e buggy & e short course.
    Of which I own neither, and it's just too much money to start over buying a new set up.
    Most of the nitro guys that used to run there before the electric only rules, now just bash or race informally at our bash spots.

I wouldn't mind trying racing out but just don't have to money to waste on a competitive e buggy and all the junk needed to run it.

That and I've gotten into quad flying lately and find it more fun then buggy racing.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    MT & Truggy racing is mostly dead, there may be a few local tracks still running them, but nothing major anymore.
    I'm really hoping one of the next big things to come to this hobby is side-by-side, scale monster truck racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liebherr View Post
    I used to wonder the same thing, I just got back into the hobby last year.
    I bought a slayer pro and revo 3.3, of the 5 or 6 tracks that are within a 2 hour drive only one is nitro friendly and the track was just a big over grown mess.

The funny thing is a week after I got my slayer my neighbor got a jato and then next thing you know there was another 2 people who bought new MT's. We all just bash them around at the park or on the street, I think people just enjoy beating their rc's around home and don't go to tracks unless they are very close.
    I'd almost prefer hobby shops to have bash pits over (or in addition to) a track. I just like to get to get together and drive. Doing the same thing around a track for an hour gets super boring.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-01-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    I do not think it is dead, it appears to have dropped off somewhat in popularity but not dead. The track I used to go to "many moons ago" is no longer there. I have Sundays off and am fortunate enough to have a school close to me with lots of grass, dirt or pavement to run on. My 25 y/o son, 15 y/o son, wife, daughter in law and grandson go there and have a good time for about an hour or so. There are some tracks in the county I live in but they are farther than I want to drive to. Yes it would be cool to have a club/track closer to me but I have a big enough "RC posse" with just my family to have a good time.