Wiring question....

I want to use a 10A BEC on some of my higher powered Traxxas stuff. However, I really don't wanna go buy a dozen of them to cover all of my rides.

I was thinking of making a removable BEC/adapter that is wired into a series harness for (2) 2S lipos

Can i wire up a BEC so the 2 wires that are supposed to go from the BEC to the esc actually just wire into the female end of the series harness that plugs into the ESC?

Then, can I just then run a servo extension off my receiver for the BEC /Receiver plug to plug into?

Anyone see any issues with that?

Thanks for any help.
    I race Associated, I bash Traxxas. 28 years in RC

It is interesting idea, as long as you made all of your wiring the same, I don't see a reason for it not to work.

I have a BEC in all of my RCs, all in different locations, so I don't know how well it would work for me. Plus, I didn't design my wiring to be able to do that, but I can see ways in most of my trucks to allow for a mobile BEC (although the Wraith would be difficult).

One other thing to think about, all of my trucks have different power requirements. Most of my Traxxas RCs are ran at 6VDC, the scale trucks at 6.5VDC, and my crawler at 7VDC.

Aside from having to work out the voltage, I could see this working, just have a Velcro or zip-tie spot in each RC that is easily accessible. I would have at least two if these, configured and programmed exactly the same, if the primary died, you'd have a backup.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    It is interesting idea, as long as you made all of your wiring the same, I don't see a reason for it not to work.

I have a BEC in all of my RCs, all in different locations, so I don't know how well it would work for me. Plus, I didn't design my wiring to be able to do that, but I can see ways in most of my trucks to allow for a mobile BEC (although the Wraith would be difficult).

One other thing to think about, all of my trucks have different power requirements. Most of my Traxxas RCs are ran at 6VDC, the scale trucks at 6.5VDC, and my crawler at 7VDC.

Aside from having to work out the voltage, I could see this working, just have a Velcro or zip-tie spot in each RC that is easily accessible. I would have at least two if these, configured and programmed exactly the same, if the primary died, you'd have a backup.
    thanks a bunch for the feedback, Greatscott. i really appreciate it. I think you're right about having a couple of pre-programmed back ups too. thanks again!

Wire it in parallel and it would work.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Wire it in parallel and it would work.
    why do you think it would work in parallel and not series? for example, if it was a straight wired 4S, wouldn't it still be the same voltage as (2) 2S lipos. Why would it matter if it was parrallel or series?
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 09-04-2016 at 06:51 PM.

In series means that power HAS to go through it in order to get to the next component. I don't think it could handle that and if it could then you would loose a lot of power. In series means only the power that it needs will go to it.

but isn't it doing the same thing if it's wired on the esc side of the plug instead of the adapter?

RC Competitor
    Let me know if it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Svillax View Post
    Let me know if it works!
    I will for sure!

here's a diagram of what i want to do on the esc/power wire side. Hopefully this clarifies any confusion.

Those would both work. I thought you were talking about adding it in series with the esc. Not into a series adapter.

Maybe you already:
    - removed the power wire which goes from the ESC to the receiver when you feed the receiver from the BEC.
    - checked if the BEC can handle the input voltage of 4S (probably no problem).
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Maybe you already:
    - removed the power wire which goes from the ESC to the receiver when you feed the receiver from the BEC.
    - checked if the BEC can handle the input voltage of 4S (probably no problem).
    thanks for mentioning that, i really appreciate the input.