RC Qualifier

Silicone Gasket Maker??!!??

Hey guys, I just replaced the diff fluid in my front and rear diffs... Took out the stock 30k weight and put in 60k. When I took them apart, I noticed that the rubber gaskets were in pretty bad shape. Instead of buying new ones, I decided to use some Silicone RTV gasket maker I had. I just put them back together and now I'm second guessing my decision. I'm positive that some of the silicon gasket maker is coming in contact with the diff fluid.

I'm hoping that it'll harden up and I won't have any problems. It's not coming in contact with the gears, so that shouldn't be a problem. I haven't turned the output shafts since I thought that might mix the diff oil and undried gasket maker.

Sooooo, I'm wondering what those of you who have experience with gasket maker think?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    At work we use RTV Silicone to seal hydraulic tanks for many many years. So you shouldn't have any problems with it coming in contact with diff fluid. Now you will want it to completely dry at room temp for a day at least. JMHO You can speed it up with a higher temp, like a heat lamp near it. but I don't think I would push it. This stuff seats really well.....Hope it works out for ya. Man we got that stuff in high temp all over the place. Used tons around our many furnaces in our units.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    That's what I wanted to hear! Haha, thanks Digger! I haven't touched them in 2 hours... I'll leave them till monday or so.

How did you fill the diff?

You need both surfaces to be clean & dry for the RTV to stick, if either had diff fluid on them the RTV will not stick.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    You need a clean surface if your sealing anything with pressure. In this case all your doing is filling the gaps so the diff fluid wont leak out. The stock gasket never needes a clean surface...
    It should work fine, and a nice idea to boot!

RC Qualifier
    i used that stuff to make the gaskets on my summit aluminum diffs. It works great holds up tremendously to heat and really never had a leak issue.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the responses guys. I cleaned the diff cup and diff ring. Filled the diff cup 1/2 full of fluid, installed the gears, used the butt end of a toothpick to carefully apply the RTV, filled the cup the rest of the way with fluid, put the ring back on. Hopefully it works... I'll probably hook the diff up to a power drill to check for leaks....

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I think you will be ok. If not you will soon find out. That RTV goes a long way. I've used it in many applications. Like the other guys said above you want to make sure the surface is clean, smooth,and as best you can without deformities. Only thing i hate is that junk stinks. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore