RC Qualifier

Summit Tear Down

Before I get really into tearing down my Summit for a Cleaning, there are some answers I need questioned. 1: If I disconnect the motor wires from the ESC wires, are they hard to put back in? 2: What oil should I use for re-lubing the Diffs and Transmission? 3: Could I use Marine Grease for Question 2? Thanks in advance for all of the help. I am guessing this will take about 2 weeks to take apart, clean, re-grease, de-rusting screws, and putting back together. I only have a few hours after school everyday. I will also post up some pictures of everything. Thanks, JC
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    You just bought it, why are you doing this now? Lol.
    1. They are harder to get out then put bac in the first time, then they come off fairly easily.
    2. You could use marine grease, but I'm sure diff oil is much better.
    3. You could, I wouldn't though.
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Qualifier
    Ok. Will read through the manual to find what grease to use. I am tearing it down because I just got back from a weekend trip snow bashing, and the manual says to do it regularly.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I've gone 2.5 years without doing it. I wash it real nice all the time, never did a full tear down yet. I've had mine go swimming before too and it still is fine. I might want to do this, but I use it too much and I wouldn't know what to do without it.

I built my Summit from scratch...it may be of some use to you.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-build-edition
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I built my Summit from scratch...it may be of some use to you.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-build-edition
    I actually followed that whole build thread!

RC Qualifier
    If I don't tear it down now, how long could I go without tearing it down?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I am guessing this will take about 2 weeks to take apart, clean, re-grease, de-rusting screws, and putting back together. I only have a few hours after school everyday.
    Ha! I've done a complete tear down from start to finish in less than 2 days! (I don't get much sleep) I prefer to tear down my Summit completly at the 1st of every month. I just like to make sure every thing is ok and in good working order. I'm glad I've done it so far, I've found 8 rusted/seized up bearings the first time I did it. It's more pre-cautionary than needed, it's just I'm a perfectionist. Just my .02 cents.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    I would do it ever 4 months. Don't do what I did even though it looks brand new.

RC Qualifier
    OK. I also am having trouble taking off and putting on the stub axle carrier. The stub axle doesn't want to slip onto the bearing so it always pops out. Do you know how to fix it?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

I just give it a sharp, quick tap with a brass hammer. It works 90% of the time.

RC Qualifier
    Lol, I haven't had that problem, but I'd try what Wolf said

This is from my eRevo thread and may be useful to you...I personally don't hit bearings with anything...just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by craig.mitch316 View Post
    I have read a lot on these forums about various drive axles, from the traxxas steel cvd to the MIPs. I can't comment on any of the above axles as I have had great success with the Summit drive shafts.

Here is my verdict on them...I have always run 6s in my eRevo with Summit drive shafts. They are absolutely brilliant and have held up great to the abuse I put my truck under, sure they break...but they are a quick easy fix and can be done on the fly while out bashing.

Since i have replaced a good few things on my build, I decided to put new drive shafts all round and keep the old for spare. One was broken and the other three weren't in bad condition.

As you can see here there is not to much wear on the end of the shaft. This was the worst of them.

One thing I can't stress enough is get a decent set of hex screw drivers as when working with 3mm grub screws it is so easy to strip the hex head and make a good build a disaster to sort out. The Summit shafts take 3mm grub screws.

I stripped the shafts so I could clean the stub axle #5654 and diff output CV drive #5653 and replace with new long shafts #5656. I cleaned with RP7 to remove any rust and grit...also to give a light coat of lube to protect from rusting.

The stub axle and diff output CV drive were still in good nick and probably still get a good lot of solid runs from them.

REMOVING STUB AXLES FROM AXLE CARRIERS
    I will show you a simple way to remove the stub axle from the carrier without pounding away with a wrench or hammer and damaging the bearings in the process. The same goes for sliding the bearing over the stub axle...Because of the spline pin and the force on the axle it often causes a lip that you can't see with the eye and stops the bearing from sliding over the hole.

I know the pic is of me pushing the stub axle on the axle carrier the wrong way but I am sure you get the idea of what I am trying to explain. In the pic this is often where the bearing gets stuck, on either side of the spline hole.

The simple solution is when this happens is to get some sand paper that is not to coarse (very fine) and cut a strip. Wrap it around the stub axle and role between your fingers like so.

The bearing should slide off in no time and you save yourself the hassle and frustration of the axle being stuck and trying to force off

I always have on hand 3 different types of sand paper, all very fine coarse...it always comes in handy.
    Edit: I'm not sure I understood the question correctly??
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 02-19-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for that info. I will try it tonight.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Just found out that 3 of my bearings are seized up. Hopefully I can fix them instead of buying new ones.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

This is how I service my bearings mate...if they are to far gone its better to replace them.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5363893
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Took of the seal to see, and it won't even budge one bit. What do I do now then?
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    I had a couple of bearings that didn't budge.
    I know there will be a big fight over what WD40 can and can't do but i decided to try soaking my seized bearings in WD40. I removed the seals as per craig.mitch's thread the put enough WD40 in a container to cover the bearings and let them soak for about 24hrs. They seemed to unlock. they are still a bit gritty from rust though and you can't fix that as far as i am concerned.
    After that i clean them contact cleaner and re grease.

Answer for Qu-2: For your diff, the stock summit comes with 100k difflube. This is used in the little sealed compartment housing the spider gears. IMO i wouldn't use marine grease in the little housing for the spider gears.
    When i rebuilt mine i refilled with 100k diff oil. I like the 100k so i used it but its up to you how viscous (thick) you want it. Read page 24 of your manual to see about vicosity.
    Then there is the ring gear (big gear) and pinion gear (small input gear) in the diff. I would just lube them (in your case) with the marine grease.
    For the transmission, only the 2 metal gears need lubing. just use the same marine grease.

I tear mine down regularly. Mine takes a while to get running again because i, too go to school and am in my last year so i have heaps of homework to do.
    Summit; Spartan; Others yet to come

The bearing sticking on the stub axle is from the drive pin slamming back and forth in the hole.It creates burs.
    I use a fine flat file and gently file them down(the hole in the stub axle) to remove the burs problem solved.
    I do use marine grease in everything on my truck...but I do live in a wet climate on a island surrounded by the Pacific Ocean.so rust is a constant battle

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I tore mine after a couple of months of owning it during which time I had done some water running with it. Also found lots of grit etc inside the diff/bulkhead retainers as you can only access these during a strip down so was missed as part of my after run clean which I do every time to prevent rusted screw etc. Found a fair few seized bearings which I replaced with new non traxxas ones. Diffs I use stock 100w and marine grease on the ring and pinion gears. My tear downs will be based on how much water and loose surface running i'm doing.

RC Qualifier
    Being VERY, VERY careful, you can use muriatic acid to remove rust from metal parts. All it takes is a quick dip in the stuff and then thoroughly rinse them with water, they dry and lube. This can be done with bearings and all other hard metal parts. This is the stuff that is used in swimming pools. Use protective equipment if you decide to use it. I've used this many times to clean stainless steel, brass, and chrome parts. Aluminum I think is a NO NO, but hard shiny metals are ok.
    Good luck.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Just found out that 3 of my bearings are seized up. Hopefully I can fix them instead of buying new ones.
    Ya, that sucks. If you do deside to buy some new bearings, go with the Avid bearings. The're great quality, and the're only $1 a bearing, so to replace EVERY bearing on your Summit is only $43, for all 43 bearings. I found a seized up bearing last night, and that marks my 10th bearing I've found seized. So, I orderd the Avid bearing kit last night. I can't wait for it to come in the mail next week! Here is the link to the bearings. LINK Just my .02 cents.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ya, that sucks. If you do deside to buy some new bearings, go with the Avid bearings. The're great quality, and the're only $1 a bearing, so to replace EVERY bearing on your Summit is only $43, for all 43 bearings. I found a seized up bearing last night, and that marks my 10th bearing I've found seized. So, I orderd the Avid bearing kit last night. I can't wait for it to come in the mail next week! Here is the link to the bearings. LINK Just my .02 cents.
    Dang, if you have 10 seized, can't imagine how many of mine are seized. We will find out this weekend!

RC Qualifier
    Ya. The back 4 bearing on my summit are all seized. Makes me mad when I have to buy stuff! Lol
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

Dang, if you have 10 seized, can't imagine how many of mine are seized. We will find out this weekend!
    Ya, no kidding. I always wd-40'd all the bearings, and I would let my Summit sit in a bag (to keep the heat in) overnight on the heater. I also oiled/greased every bearing every time I did a tear down, and yet, I still had 10 seized bearings. Go figure. I just hope these Avid bearings are better!

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=TraxxasSummitCrawler;5428031]You just bought it, why are you doing this now? Lol.
    yeah that what im thinking!!! i havent tore one of my summit down for ever and its been through creeks mud, you name it!
    but i guess it depends on were you live.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=johnzillia54;5429203]
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    You just bought it, why are you doing this now? Lol.
    yeah that what im thinking!!! i havent tore one of my summit down for ever and its been through creeks mud, you name it!
    but i guess it depends on were you live.
    I live in the worth possible place for a summit, where we get over 400 inches of snow a year and have 100 degree summers. I like to run in mud pits a lot. So I guess it time to do my summit a favor and clean it up thoroughly.

RC Racer
    put bearings in vice. squeze till u here a pop remove easy. then buy new ones. thats what i did.

RC Qualifier
    Anyone ever try ceramic bearings?

RC Qualifier
    I know they use them for Slashes. Well, at least my friend is going too.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    Here's a tip I learned from '87 GN' on this forum...Pack the bearings with grease. I did this to all the bearings in my transmission. I didn't do it to my wheel bearings because I replace them more often.

RC Qualifier
    I'm gonna stick my summit in the dishwasher this weekend, minus the esc and motor. No joke. I swear!

RC Racer
    heat from the d-washer might mess your bearings up no joke. i swear!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasdeathwish View Post
    heat from the d-washer might mess your bearings up no joke. i swear!
    No big deal, I got ceramic bearings on order at the LHS. Should be here next week.