RC Qualifier

Are there two different Trenchers you guys are using?

I've seen some pictures of Summits with Trenchers, but it looks like even though they are the same height, looks like a couple of pics have the same tire but more narrow? I'm sorry I don't have the links to the pics but I think they were mostly in the summit gallery.

RC Champion
    Trencher and trencher-x?
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

Yep, there is the Trencher 40 series, (the narrow, taller one) and the Trencher X's. The X's are wider, and shorter than the 40 series. In case you wondering, I have the Trencher X's on my Summit. I gotta say I love them!

Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    Yeah Wolfy they look cool!!! so that more narrow trencher, they don't make anymore?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    Yeah Wolfy they look cool!!! so that more narrow trencher, they don't make anymore?
    yes, they still make them

http://prolineracing.com/trencher/

RC Qualifier
    Ok then, well which size trencher would have the most wheel choices? I am particularly interested in beadlock wheels that would retain the stock width. I have no idea about current big wheel/sizes have t had anything with big tires for quite a while. Oh, and I'm not talking about high dollar beadlocks either, that's out of my league. I assume Axial or someone makes some affordable beadlocks for one size or the other trencher for the summit?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    axial beadlocs will fit trenchers, and big joe, or 40 series tires, no traxxas beadlocs. I think maximizer beadlocs might work not sure. Check this thread.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-with-pictures

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks

RC Racer
    I have the axial beadlocks with Trencher tires. [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    I see lots of pics with axial beadlocks and the more narrow looking Trenchers like that (which I really like), but those are the narrow axial beadlocks that are no longer made, correct?

RC Racer
    No mine are not the narrow beadlocks. Here is what I have. http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax8043

RC Qualifier
    I thought I've read like 10 places on here just today that all the axial beadlocks that weren't "narrow" would rub?? I think I'm more confused now then when I started searching wheel and tire threads for the summit hours ago. Lol

I think I see now why a lot of folks have trencherX on desperados, it's confirmed to more less work perfectly as far as fit. Though I really wanted beadlocks because I plan on doing a fair amount of wet running and I thought it'd be great to be able to fully dry them out. I really like the look of what you have there!

RC Champion
    I just put a set of Axial beadlocks with Moabs on my Summit last night.
    I moved the pushrod to the outermost hole to lower the truck and limit the lift since it looks like the inside beadlock rubs the upper a-arm when the suspension is fully extended.
    Is that the rubbing you are reading about?
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I think so. I didn't get a chance to remove my summit from its box today, but when I get to look at the suspension first hand Ill hopefully understand better. Thanks!

Trenchers/Tech5s on Summit and Trencher Xs/Desperados on ERBE.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-20-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    That's a great picture! Are they both yours? Appreciate you posting that!

I like both of those setups. Since we don't have rocks where I live, and mostly sand/snow/mud/grass it seems to me the trencherX might be the better choice for me? Then I could hold onto the stockers too. I also really REALLY like the look of the mudslingers.

Which of those 3 tires do you think I would be more likely to find affordable beadlocks for that won't rub or narrow the track of the truck?
    Last edited by mepster; 02-21-2013 at 08:01 AM.

The Summit is mine, but that particular ERBE is a friend's. I bought the original Trenchers slightly used from him, then he bought the Xs and decided to get another set of original Trenchers.
    You lose a bit of ground clearance with the Xs, but unless you are in a technical rock section or trying to get over steel railroad rails (perfect height to give the Xs trouble but not the originals) you may not notice the difference. The bigger difference is in the tire width and stock Tech5 versus Desperado wheel offset.
    I don't own any 40-series beadlocks, and the (narrow Axial) ones I have helped install are no longer available. But even they are considerably wider than the 0-offset Tech5 wheels. That is why I prefer the Tech5's.

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok, so you wanted yours more narrow?

Exactly, because when free-roaming through the forests it is beneficial to have a truck that fits in more places and turns tighter. A narrower truck does both.
    In response to an inquiry, I am posting a pdf template for the mud guards seen in the pic above. They help keep the rear suspension bits clean and also keep sticks from poking in from the front. I believe the idea was originally from "mistercrash." I simply revised and vectorized it.

Revo Mud Guards

The pdf is native letter-size. Scaling it to other sizes of paper would be bad.

Pic:
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-21-2013 at 02:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That was my guess, but I didn't want to assume anything. Makes sense. Makes even more sense since I just unboxed mine! Nothing really prepared me for the size of that thing! Good grief! It's fun to look at and it's gotta be fun to drive

Thanks for posting the guards ksb!

I run Trencher X's on my Summit...awesome tyre.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    I run Trencher X's on my Summit...awesome tyre.
    To hasty with my typing...I'm running the Trenchers on my Summit.
    Rock n Rolla !