RC Qualifier

Noob gearing question.

So while i was rippin around today i thought my truck was slower than it should be... so i just bought the stock gearing for it -as i run NiMh batteries, for now...

but im just wondering... as my math goes the gears im putting in are going to be slower (top speed) than the ones im taking out. old: 18|54 New: 19|68

am i wrong? well either way the gears went in it, and i returned the esc back to original settings also. and i have batteries on the charger....

the guy i bought it from had the motor timing at the lowest setting. (why? i dunno.)

well, i hope for more power and some extra top speed. do these hopes have any ground to stand on with the settings and the new gears?

RC Qualifier
    Larger pinion smaller spur is for speed I do believe
    The motor timing was low to help reduce motor temps I've read that before somewhere but you know how reading what others post sometimes isn't always accurate
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    Here you go for example as the pinion size increases you get speed and right opposite with the spur

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i gear mine 20tpinion/58tspur on nimh batts 7cell 8.4v 4500mah and very happy with the speed, cant wait 'til i get my lipo and see what speed i get.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Qualifier
    ya im pretty excited to throw some Lipo power in this monster! and i made a noob mistake buying parts too, i dont normally do this, but i got the wrong pinion. So, a 19T pinion and a, larger than before, 68T spur gear. this means i added 14 teeth to the spur, and it should go slower. but i dont think thats what im seeing... well i still gotta get it in a long straight line and see. but on 2, 7cell Nimhs, i was NOT going 35 mph. mind you im running Big Joes also.
    i really think i could feel the power gain from the motor timing the most. i can do wheelies on the kitchen floor. -my gf doesnt mind SOOO much cuz the Big Joes dont leave much for black marks with Nimh batteries.

RC Qualifier
    Have you fooled with the punch control that to me was the most effective of the options

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thats what i did mess around with the punch control. wheelies at half throttle, now i need a wheely bar or another set of wing.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Qualifier
    so far i havent. when i had my minisavage i tried and it did NOTHING! haha well, nothing noticeable. thats got a Mamba and a 4000kv motor i think.... i forget the size. but its bigger than it needs, thats for sure.

all i have tuned right now is stock tuning. ill try your advice though, this is a bigger truck that actually gets traction
    thanks for help. im pretty sure the truck will go much faster now than it did before, with just the timing settings and returning to stock programming.

RC Qualifier
    do you guys mess with torque settings or power settings? i havent done the tq test yet, so mine is stock... power too. or power or brake curves?

any tips? im the kinda guy whos heavy on throttle and loves to drift corners, so i figured the punch isnt toned down, keep that. the power is full, keep that. the power is proportionate to how i pull the throttle, which could probably be swapped over to the 70/30 switch i think... im used to no reverse, so im kinda spoiled with this truck haha

Quote Originally Posted by ClintOnNitro View Post
    ya im pretty excited to throw some Lipo power in this monster! and i made a noob mistake buying parts too, i dont normally do this, but i got the wrong pinion. So, a 19T pinion and a, larger than before, 68T spur gear. this means i added 14 teeth to the spur, and it should go slower. but i dont think thats what im seeing... well i still gotta get it in a long straight line and see. but on 2, 7cell Nimhs, i was NOT going 35 mph. mind you im running Big Joes also.
    i really think i could feel the power gain from the motor timing the most. i can do wheelies on the kitchen floor. -my gf doesnt mind SOOO much cuz the Big Joes dont leave much for black marks with Nimh batteries.
    you add more torque by lower the gearing. With the Big J's.. you need that extra torque to turn those heavy meats... That is why it seams faster.. But over all it is not faster, but it is now quicker...(more torque).. Better gearing for running the NiMH tho. Don't over gear it..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    you add more torque by lower the gearing. With the Big J's.. you need that extra torque to turn those heavy meats... That is why it seams faster.. But over all it is not faster, but it is now quicker...(more torque).. Better gearing for running the NiMH tho. Don't over gear it..
    i wouldnt promise this without taking the esc tune into factor too. the extremely low motor timing was robbing me of TONS of power. i was able to hit top speed within 1 car length. (not spinning the wheels) and top speed? was probably 20Kmh... im pretty sure i beat 20Kmh im my basement last night. today ill take it outside and find out forsure though...

BTW check out the picture i got the other day... its one of two a co worker of mine owns.... well he only kinda owns one, the other was donated to a church with 600HP!!