RC Qualifier

My Second Painted LiD..

My Son inspired me on my theme for my second Painted body. Everything went well but
    i cant seem to be able to do the chrome paint. The frist attemp didnt come out right it was
    more silver then chrome Too heavy of a coat so the second attemp i did three light coats
    almost but no cigar. Both where back with black AnyHo hers is my 2nd LID...

I Turned the laudry room into a HOT Box for drying too cold outside. Wifey wasnt too Happy..

BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Enthusiast
    Looks really good!! I wish I had the patience for things like that.

RC poster
    Looks awesome!

RC Qualifier
    looks good, did you use liquid mask

Looks good! Great job!!!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Koda Dank View Post
    looks good, did you use liquid mask
    Yeah that stuff is awesome i was usinG the parma brand but since im almost out
    i would like to try the bob devail brand {i think i spelled it right} just to see the
    difference. I used 3 to 4 coats each coat crossinG the pattern or direction that i applied
    the last one. so left to right on one coat then up and down on the next coat and so forth..
    thanks guys for the compliments..

RC Enthusiast
    Very Creative work !! I see your getting better with every paint job your Lid for your MT is awesome i can only
    Imagen the detail that went into the hood on this Body.
    Looking forward to your next Lid
    Race it Hard, Bash it HARDER

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Airwick.... its not as hard as i thought it was to paint bodys. But really would like
    to get the skills on how to make that chrome paint work. i tried to use three lite coats then
    back it with black but that didnt work just came out silver. then attemp the first time i did
    to heavy on the coats.. Im determind to get it right.. I Already thinking on the next paint job
    an onroad body. but im not sure if i really want to change out the chassy i like the option of
    being able to just change out the LID and Tires..

RC Racer
    Looks great!

RC Racer
    Is that a proline desert rat how is that body for bashing

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CAGE410 View Post
    Yeah that stuff is awesome i was usinG the parma brand but since im almost out
    i would like to try the bob devail brand {i think i spelled it right} just to see the
    difference. I used 3 to 4 coats each coat crossinG the pattern or direction that i applied
    the last one. so left to right on one coat then up and down on the next coat and so forth..
    thanks guys for the compliments..
    Agreed, liquid mask is one of the greatest things to happen to painting bodies. I use Hobbico Master Mask and it works great. I've also been practicing the use of XXX Main Lexan Picture Glue on scrap pieces of lexan. Once I get the hang of that stuff I will be "hopefully" producing impressive bodies that would normally take hours sometimes days to paint and get works of art that I could never reproduce like the artwork of Alex Grey Gia, Oversoul and One. Just to name a few that I wanna do.
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 02-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by monello43 View Post
    Is that a proline desert rat how is that body for bashing
    Why yes it is a desert Rat as for bashing its held up so far Im trying to learn how to hit a jump and land a jump
    So i have been practicing at this soccer field in between the two fields there is a 8 foot wide
    Walk way which has a sweet ramp like edge. When you hit it right you can get some cool air in
    Not jump the whole walk way. I have a hard time hitting it right so the body takes a pretty
    Nasty roof slide lands on the front bumper or just cart wheel into the goal net..lol
    But i also sprayed the uder body with truck bed liner.. Ill let you know when i crack
    Or bust something.

RC Qualifier
    Koda i saw a video on that picture glue looks awesome let me know
    When you get the hang of that pic glue. So you can give me some pointers

Thank you guys Im glad y'all like the paint job..

RC Qualifier
    will do,
    ive only got 1 out of 4 scrap pieces to look right so its gonna take some time to get used to it. the problem is, is the glue will set pretty quick if you put to thin of layer of glue. i read somewhere that it can be water downed a bit to increase the drying time so you have more time to move it on the lexan

and i wont put it on a body until i can get 4 out of 4 scrap pieces right every time i try it. if i had those scrap pieces i would post a pic but i threw them away when i was cleaning up, but i will post pics of the ones im gonna do later today if i can get close enough to see the area w/ air bubbles and the areas that are done right. if not it will be next week when i get my new camera
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 02-18-2012 at 10:59 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CAGE410 View Post
    Thanks Airwick.... its not as hard as i thought it was to paint bodys. But really would like
    to get the skills on how to make that chrome paint work. i tried to use three lite coats then
    back it with black but that didnt work just came out silver. then attemp the first time i did
    to heavy on the coats.. Im determind to get it right.. I Already thinking on the next paint job
    an onroad body. but im not sure if i really want to change out the chassy i like the option of
    being able to just change out the LID and Tires..
    What kind of paint are you using? Airbrush or cans?

For chrome with an airbrush, the best results come if you spray light enough that the chrome paint dries in no more than 3 seconds, and never spray more paint on an area that's still wet with chrome. Ideally your coats should be so thin that they dry almost instantly, and you don't really notice that you're laying more and more paint on. Doing chrome to a mirror finish uses a lot of paint. Once you notice that the chrome is nearly as shiny on the inside as the outside of the body, back your chrome areas with WATER BASED black and allow to completely dry before you paint anything else.

Solvent based paint will dull the mirror finish of the chrome, so a little water based black preserves the chrome, and helps protect it from contamination, even if you paint the rest of the body with solvent-based paints.

Otherwise, the body looks good, cool idea.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Qualifier
    1stGenCRXer thank you for th crash course in painting with chrome. I am using Pactra can
    spray paint and for the chrome i am using alclad II chrome paint. i think it maybe the Pactra
    black thats messing me up. When i get it done ill show you the finish product.. once again
    thanks very appricated.

RC Champion
    No problem.

Yep, the Pactra black is where the chrome got muted down.

Can't remember if Alclad comes in cans or not, but just in case, if you're using canned Chrome, warm the can in the hottest water you can get from the tap, and keep it warm between coats, change the water every 10 minutes or so, that will increase the pressure in the can so you can get coverage without heavy coats, and it will dry quicker.

With airbrushed chrome, you should see the barest indication of moist paint on the lexan that dries almost immediately if you're spraying it right.

Typically I lay on 10-15 coats of very light chrome when I want a mirror finish, the lighter, quicker drying, and thinner, the more you coats you can use, and the better the result, typically.

Though sometimes you want a brushed aluminum look, and backing with lacquer black will do that for you, with a smaller metallic pattern than pactra silver.
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    Spaz Stix makes a good chrome paint in a spray can

RC Champion
    If you can find it. It's my understanding that Spaz Stix is out of the game on paint.
    1stGenPaint

RC Racer
    That sucks, it was excellent paint. Great color

RC Qualifier
    stock up while you can