RC Racer

Lights on the cheap

Just got an RPM light bar and was wondering if anybody had any info on lights. Never really wanted lights before but I figured that the light bar would make the truck look a little more scale and no that its on Im thinking about lighting it up.

I've heard there is some radioshack stuff you can get and wire up but have no clue where to start. Dont want to pay the high prices of the kits. Plus I like making stuff on my own.

Ideas?

From parts UNKNOWN

RC Racer
    The kits I have seen are pretty cheap. http://www.rclighthouse.com/

RC Racer
    Wow those are the cheapest I've seen.

Still think I'd like to figure out how to wire them in series so that I can eliminate all those wires. Just need to figure out what size resistor I would need for 6 lights on the bar.
    From parts UNKNOWN

RC Competitor
    Ohms law, google it. I wouldn't wire them in series, you'd need a lot of batteries. A paralell circuit would work better.

RC Competitor
    I also prefer making my own lights. The first question is how do you want to power them? Receiver or separate battery like 9v? I typically like to use the receiver because it looks cleaner and really doesn't effect run times.

Are you just wanting to do the 6 light bar lights or some tail lights too? 5mm or 3mm LED's?
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Racer
    So putting them in series is out. I always wondered why people didn't do that and reduce the amount of wires. I hate the look of having all those wires running everywhere.

I think that I will definitely light up the 6 cans on the light bar. Maybe 2 more for the headlights on the body. Probably just 2 for the tail lights. Like the idea of brake lights that really work but those kits are expensive.

As for the size I'm not really sure. I'm sure bigger is better but I'm not sure how big of a difference there would be.

Also I think I want to mount a 9v to the body so that I don't have to disconnect anything to take the body off.
    From parts UNKNOWN

RC Qualifier
    this is the way i did it when i first got my truck -

go to your local electronic store buy 2 of the same USB book lights for head lights since those already have resistors on them and you will have to take them out of there case. cut at the USB part (bottom) and try to break the case at the top and pull the LED out w/ the foot long wires attatched. the only place ive seen the brake lights like this is at radio shack and i think they can handle up to 12v each
    i think these have resistors on them as well, you can wire all these lights in series to 2 9v batts. making 18v batt. w/ an on/off switch:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062561

the USB light i used is similar to this one:
    http://www.frys.com/product/3704286?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

useful basic info on running in series and parallel for those who are new to this:
    http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-B...es-or-Parallel
    Last edited by Koda Dank; 02-15-2012 at 04:29 PM.

RC Competitor
    You are right in that putting them all in series is out. 9V simply is not enough for this. But there is a way that you can put some of them in series to save battery life. The last post would work ok. Here is how I have done it...

For example the 6 LED light bar would use two sets of 3 LED’s in series. No resistor is needed here. (I should mention, this is if you are using 5mm white LED’s. This may require you to drill out the light canisters if they were made for 3mm LED’s) This gives 3V to each LED in the light bar.

Your two headlights can be made from 2 white, 5mm LED’s in series with a 130 Ohm resistor (or something fairly close to this). This will give 3.2V to each headlight. (They should be a bit brighter than the LED’s in the light bar). 1/4 watt resistors will be fine for this application.

The two tail lights can be made from 2 red 5mm LED’s in series with a 240 Ohm resistor (or something close). This gives the red LED’s about 2.1V each which is the max you want to put to the red. Again, 1/4 watt resistors will be fine for this application.

Though there are 2 sets of the 3 series LED’s in the light bar, you should be able to get creative to conceal most of the wire. This setup draws about 120ma which means a 9V battery should last anywhere from 2 - 4 hours. You may want to include a switch too.

I get my electronics from mpja.com but any electronics store should have what you need. Hope this helps.
    You can drive my car, but there's a $500 deposit.

RC Qualifier
    GT power lights kits under 20.00 dollars
    4x4 Slash 5.5 Big Block

RC Enthusiast
    What are the brightest led's you can buy without monitoring the voltage with fancy electronics. Because the ones i have burnt up. What i do is i get a paralell connector and just connect my battery and run it off that.

RC Racer
    Thanks a lot for all the info everybody. I think that a trip to Rshack is in my future. I like some of the kits but none seem to give me exactly what I want.

It always feels good when you build it yourself. It also gives me more hours of fun(or frustration) that way.
    From parts UNKNOWN

RC Qualifier
    Also any auto part store has the led custom lights for the dash or for the outside
    Cut and trim to your liking and your good to go..
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

Have you thought about the hat lights? Pull them apart and make them work for you.
    Member of the 10,000 posts club

RC Competitor
    The mag light led upgrade kits work well also.

RC Racer
    Dang hat lights. perfect.
    From parts UNKNOWN