RC Competitor

Mounting Integy Heat Sink Fan

Whats the best way to mount the integy heat sink fan on the Slash 4x4 Velineon system? I have seen a few people turn the motor so the fan mounts on top. Does anyone have any pics or a tutorial on the install?

RC Competitor
    Can you post a link to the exact one you're talking about? I think I have the exact same one and was able to clip it on top without changing the positioning of the motor. The fan is toward the rear of the motor with the heatsink under the wires. I pushes the wires up a little but I haven't had any problems.

RC Competitor

RC Competitor
    Yeah, that's essentially the same one I have (different color). What is preventing you from just clipping it on the top of the motor as-is?

It should slide carefully under the wires and onto the motor. You can and will do it
    Member of the 10,000 posts club

RC Competitor
    I have not received the integy yet so I dont have it in front of me to look at. I just saw some other post with it side mounted and some post that said he turned the motor. But from what you have said it should mount just fine the way it is. Thanks guys!

We are here to help
    Member of the 10,000 posts club

RC Competitor
    OK So I have my integy heat sink fan combo and now I need to hook it up. I dont really want to do any soldering so I am tring to find an extension to plug the integy directly into the reciever. Here is the integy setup
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320833505567...#ht_1648wt_907

Will this adapter work for what I am trying to do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RX-Plug-BEC-...6#ht_583wt_907

RC Racer
    Looks like it is what you need to me.

RC Enthusiast
    I heard that its a bad idea to run these. I heard the reasoning behind it was that the outside of the can is cooller than the interior which does not allow it to expand and this creates problems. I also heard that the heat on the interior of the motor is not transferred any faster and its the heat inside the motor is what kills it. Lastly again I heard if you attempt to run a fan on the esc and the motor at the same time it can overload the esc..... My thoughts on this is most of it makes sence. however the heat transfer doesnt make sence to me. If the heat is generated on the inside and is tranfered to the outside and the heat on the outside is transfer off, cooling it. Then wont the heat transfer faster from the inside to the outside of the can. anywase all of this came from my LHS. so any comments are welcome.

RC Racer
    its easy as i had the same one when i ran the stock velineon vxl system but i had the blue one. All you have to do is snap it onto the motor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kroamdoam View Post
    I heard that its a bad idea to run these. I heard the reasoning behind it was that the outside of the can is cooller than the interior which does not allow it to expand and this creates problems. I also heard that the heat on the interior of the motor is not transferred any faster and its the heat inside the motor is what kills it. Lastly again I heard if you attempt to run a fan on the esc and the motor at the same time it can overload the esc..... My thoughts on this is most of it makes sence. however the heat transfer doesnt make sence to me. If the heat is generated on the inside and is tranfered to the outside and the heat on the outside is transfer off, cooling it. Then wont the heat transfer faster from the inside to the outside of the can. anywase all of this came from my LHS. so any comments are welcome.
    I actually ran both Motor and ESC fan on the Velineon and VXL till I got my catle MMP system and i had NO problems with it overlaoding the esc. And i did notice when i was racing with that system it made a big difference in my temps. goodluck

RC Qualifier
    they just clip onto the motor

I wrapped a zip tie around the motor and the heat sink to better hold it in place and to firmly hold it against the can for better heat transfer

the cocking to the side, I just did it so the mounting screw that holds the motor plate to the mount can be accessed without fooling with the fan at all

that adapter will work, but it's going to be JUST enough wire. the wire off the fan just barely makes it to the receiver box

personally, I took a receiver plug that I nipped off an old toasted ESC, pulled the wires out that were in it and soldered the pins to the open end adapter that Integy gives you with the fan, and was good to go, for free

fix, run, break, repeat

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the pictures superbleeder! I dont have an extra esc connector so I will order the one i found on ebay

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    they just clip onto the motor

I wrapped a zip tie around the motor and the heat sink to better hold it in place and to firmly hold it against the can for better heat transfer

the cocking to the side, I just did it so the mounting screw that holds the motor plate to the mount can be accessed without fooling with the fan at all

that adapter will work, but it's going to be JUST enough wire. the wire off the fan just barely makes it to the receiver box

personally, I took a receiver plug that I nipped off an old toasted ESC, pulled the wires out that were in it and soldered the pins to the open end adapter that Integy gives you with the fan, and was good to go, for free

Which ports did you put the new fan/heatsink wires into

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRoe View Post
    Which ports did you put the new fan/heatsink wires into
    well I'm using a Spektrum system and it has an auxiliary port for things like fans and lights

sent from my BAMFed Thunderbolt
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
    well I'm using a Spektrum system and it has an auxiliary port for things like fans and lights

sent from my BAMFed Thunderbolt
    I'm sorry i should have been more specific, i ment which slots on the plug that you soldered did you use. there are three, or does it matter which ones you use, I'm new to the industry
    Thanks for all your help.

RC Competitor
    Im a little frustrated with the Integy Heat Sink. I finally got it all hooked up last night. I bought the extension cable
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And ran to the reciever. As soon as I hooked up the battery smoke came out of the fan and fried the fan motor. What happened? I was under the impression that if I had it plugged into the reciever backward the fan simply would run in reverse?

RC Qualifier
    I am waiting on an extension cable for mine, but I have plugged it into the receiver box with the cover off to make sure it works. If I plug it in backwards, it just doesn't run (actually it kills the power to the whole truck.) I'm not super happy with this heatsink/fan combo, but it was cheap and my motor seems to be running cool enough with just the heatsink and 2s lipos.

RC Competitor
    I also dont like the fact that it scratches the paint on the motor

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snelly View Post
    I also dont like the fact that it scratches the paint on the motor
    I agree, it's the little things I guess most all of them would do that if you have dirt/grit between the heatsink and motor though. That's why I usually try to clean good between them before I clip it back on.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dsanders337 View Post
    I agree, it's the little things I guess most all of them would do that if you have dirt/grit between the heatsink and motor though. That's why I usually try to clean good between them before I clip it back on.
    bend it a bit so that it clips tighter first. then i apply some arctic silver compound to the motor, then put the heatsink on. it will surprisingly help keep the heatsink in place too and dirt wont get in as easily as having nothing there. then either tighten it down with a zip tie or a piece of metal wire. the anodizing from Traxxas is pretty weak and is just for show. it isnt hard anodized and so it will still end up scratching, but OH WELL.
    Losi TEN-SCTE | Tekin RX8 | Tekin Pro4 4600

RC Qualifier
    Im a little frustrated with the Integy Heat Sink. I finally got it all hooked up last night. I bought the extension cable
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And ran to the reciever. As soon as I hooked up the battery smoke came out of the fan and fried the fan motor. What happened? I was under the impression that if I had it plugged into the reciever backward the fan simply would run in reverse?
    you BOUGHT the adapter cable? that picture of mine that you quoted was one that I made BTW

sounds like you plugged it into the receiver backwards... which means you plugged it into the + power and the signal wire. I'm not sure what the signal output was sending to the fan, but it obviously wasn't good...

and I'm not so sure that it would just spin backwards if you hooked power to it in reverse. these fans, although very small, are generally pretty "high tech" as far as a simple motor with some blades attached to it. I'm not 100% on these fans that are on the Integy heat sink, but a lot of PC cooling fans on actually brushless motors with little circuit boards in them to control the fan, in which case a reversed current will wreak all kinds of havoc...
    Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-23-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    fix, run, break, repeat

RC Racer
    Hooked up mine last night and same thing happened. Smoke as soon as i turned it on. I knew better than to buy anything from Integy. Oh well was only 10 bucks.

RC Competitor
    Superbleeder - yes I bought the cable. I guess I hooked it up backwards but I looked at the other connections and assummed the black wire should go on the same side as the black wires for the servo and esc. Apparently not... lol

RC Qualifier
    Superbleeder - yes I bought the cable. I guess I hooked it up backwards but I looked at the other connections and assummed the black wire should go on the same side as the black wires for the servo and esc. Apparently not... lol
    Yeah, mine had to go backwards of what the other wires are too. I am going to assume that the Traxxas stuff is wired correctly and this Integy fan is wired backwards. At the end of the day, a wire is a wire, but the standards should be observed (red is positive and black is negative.) I guess we can't expect much for the price though. Although, it makes me wonder why other people here say theirs burned up when they did that and mine just didn't work until I flipped it around. Luck I guess?

RC Competitor
    Ok take 2. I got another heat sink/fan combo. Anyone have any pics are better instrcution as to how to clip the wire into the receiver so I dont burn out another one?

RC Racer
    Ok take 2. I got another heat sink/fan combo. Anyone have any pics are better instrcution as to how to clip the wire into the receiver so I dont burn out another one?
    the thing came with that extra wire and i clipped the end off the wire that came attached to it...and i used the extra wire that has that diff end.....then if you look there is a fan wire on the side of the esc that it will plug right into.....I never pluged mine into the receiver just in the esc....

RC Competitor
    I have the ESC fan plugged into the extra plug on the esc

RC Racer
    I have the ESC fan plugged into the extra plug on the esc
    you can buy a y adapter so you can plug them both in there or like i did i spliced the wires together with the esc fan wires so i did not have to buy the y adapter.....actually after racing i noticed that i never had a problem with the esc getting that hot compared to the motor so i eventually just took the esc fan off and only used the motor fan considering the motor getting to hot was a bigger issue...i only run 2s tho.