RC Competitor

Thumbs up Aftermarket Shocks?

I am looking at getting these for my rustler Rear Front I like the solid aluminum look, the adjustability, and the price. I have stock plastic shocks and I am tired of breaking stuff so I am going to get all aluminum no-matter what. I am just worried they will really suck or something at there price and lack of reviews. If these won't work to well does anyone have any ideas for good shocks if these aren't. These also look awesome, but they are really expensive. pro-line

RC Qualifier
    I would suggest getting the Traxxas brand ones or some of similar quality... the inexpensive aluminum ones may bend easily and thats a pain... a bent shaft cant really be repaired, once it loses it shape it will never work the same again
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    I would suggest getting the Traxxas brand ones or some of similar quality... the inexpensive aluminum ones may bend easily and thats a pain... a bent shaft cant really be repaired, once it loses it shape it will never work the same again
    Do big bore shocks have metal shock caps already because if they don't I see no point in upgrading to them just to spend even more on the part I really need. Also, they don't have the easy adjustment like the other ones. I would also need to buy new springs, so I don't understand the point in getting big-bores.

RC Champion
    I highly recommend the Proline Powerstroke shocks! They have a beefier shaft than the BBs and have worked well for me. Plus, they have an adjustable pre-load, so you dont have to mess with those silly little clips!
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSky View Post
    I highly recommend the Proline Powerstroke shocks! They have a beefier shaft than the BBs and have worked well for me. Plus, they have an adjustable pre-load, so you dont have to mess with those silly little clips!
    How much metal do the have (is the cap aluminum/alloy)

RC Champion
    Yes, the cap and shock body is aluminum. The Big Bores also come with aluminum caps as well.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by seedorfj View Post
    These also look awesome, but they are really expensive. pro-line
    I agree that the pro-line shocks are great looking but I have heard unless you are pretty hardcore into racing they can be a pain...ie adjusting both sides evenly is harder to do with any threaded shock. Of course you could always use your pre-load clips as a spacer to get the spacing even then take them out. I've had no problems with the stock ultras yet but when I do I will get the Big Bores I guess. For what you would spend on the first set you posted about you're pretty darn close to the BB in price and well below the cost of the powerstrokes as you already know....

Do big bore shocks have metal shock caps already because if they don't I see no point in upgrading to them just to spend even more on the part I really need. Also, they don't have the easy adjustment like the other ones. I would also need to buy new springs, so I don't understand the point in getting big-bores.
    Yes, the big bores have aluminum caps. But honestly, the cap isn't the issue. It's more about the plastic threads on the shock body that makes them pop off. Aluminum shock caps on Ultra shocks is more like a band-aid , but they work. I've had several Associated vehicles, which have aluminum bodies and plastic caps and never ever had an issue. But, Traxxas big bores are aluminum on both parts, so you'll be fine.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Yes, the big bores have aluminum caps. But honestly, the cap isn't the issue. It's more about the plastic threads on the shock body that makes them pop off. Aluminum shock caps on Ultra shocks is more like a band-aid , but they work. I've had several Associated vehicles, which have aluminum bodies and plastic caps and never ever had an issue. But, Traxxas big bores are aluminum on both parts, so you'll be fine.
    Well, I don't have a problem with caps popping off. I have a problem with the shock cap breaking off the thin top part. Am I the only one who has this happen quite often? I have broken three in the past three runs I have done in small crashes which I wouldn't have expected this from.

Well, I don't have a problem with caps popping off. I have a problem with the shock cap breaking off the thin top part. Am I the only one who has this happen quite often? I have broken three in the past three runs I have done in small crashes which I wouldn't have expected this from.
    You mean where the mounting screw goes? Seen it happen, but never happened to me............yet.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    You mean where the mounting screw goes? Seen it happen, but never happened to me............yet.
    Yea, I keep breaking them, even driving dead center into a fence post broke one which made no sense because the only force on it was the momentum of the wheel, most of which was going forward not pulling down on the shock.

Yea, I keep breaking them, even driving dead center into a fence post broke one which made no sense because the only force on it was the momentum of the wheel, most of which was going forward not pulling down on the shock.
    Only thing I can think of that may help is to mount the upper shock mount first and make sure the shock pivots freely before attaching the lower mount to the suspension arm. I've noticed that a lot of times when you tighten that shoulder screw all the way, it binds a little bit. Could be enough to cause the eyelet to snap. Maybe, maybe not.