Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I have only seen him with a cap on.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I have only seen him with a cap on.
    Then that's a yes.

How are you liking that 50C SPC pack? Been wanting to try them, but my 6000 30C's just won't stop going!

RC Champion
    very nicely done. whats the run line on the oval and what kinda lap times are yall seeing?
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I actually have both. They both rock. The 5400 has 3 storage to full and back to storage charge cycles, 1 practice session, 6 5 min races on it, and the last race, it felt a little stronger than the 30c 6000. It should be about done on "waking up", but it was hard to tell on the punch difference because the slicks I ran were not getting all the power down. I have my calibers for tomorrow, so it should be more apparent with more traction.

I got my best lap (4.55 sec)running tight and braking very early. The oval guru races this class and his best lap was .15 sec faster with a light body on an sc10 running a tekin 8.5. He ran just a little further out than me.
    The change of tires may force me to go out in out at the corners to avoid flipping, but I have not ran it since the battery was moved to the left, so hope I can find a setup in the morn as the truck is a bit different now balance wise.
    They either put a pipe down the center, or make a 5-6' box down the center with the jumps stacked in the "infield". The outside of the track is 71x34.

Well I finally got to run it today. Just got home from the track.

Late model sc oval: Qual 3, A-main 2nd
    Mod sc oval: Qual 2, A-main win!

In both classes I had laps faster than any other sc chassis for today.

My driving was bad in both qualifiers, for both classes. The mod sc a-main was the cleanest I ever ran a race. Very happy with left side battery mount and the calibers. It made a big difference. In mod sc, the truck wanted to flip.

I know this truck will go faster yet

RC Champion
    I am glad you posted this Rag, I was going to PM you and ask if you had been running....well I see you have been running and running first and strong
    Awesome man, congrats on the win!

Previous to seeing this I just had ordered a pair of Calibers myself but my driving will leave a lot to be desired LOL

Nice! That chassis is Sweeet!

I tell ya, If running a small track, the mid engine config is a good idea. The losi 22's run really well here also.

Just found out, in late model, I topped a Losi team driver:
    http://forum.losi.com/member.php?do=getinfo&u=57
    He got faster all day, was a killer turn marshal, and had the best looking vehicle at the track today. I feel a little taller 8 ))

Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Is that guy bald? For some reason, I think I raced with him in mod truck a few years ago.
    He took his hat off today...

And had a full head of hair.
    TQ and A-main win in sct!

Qualified 3rd and took 2nd in Late Model. Could not get around 1st place. I spun him out 3 times, and had to wait for him to pass me every time, track rules. He drove a great race, protected the inside, and my pressure did not affect his line. I wish I was that good. I had the faster car though 8). Time to work on my passing etiquette lol.

This review is over. This chassis ROCKS!

update...

Just want to say that I have been bashing this chassis. It has held up to medium jumps medium speed and rough terrain. It has taken some abuse with just scratches to show.

Set it up for off road at my track:

Velcro battery setup:

1 screw out and add the lto batt hold down:

...And its back to oval

Finally got the AE sct shocks workin'

These have smaller bodies than the big bores, are emulsion shocks, and are very consistent. I set rusty stock springs in front and an old set of springs I had produced a long time ago:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-rate-springs.

Just about to turn 4 yrs old(first pic in that thread^^^) and finally find a home on the rear with AE shocks. Hoodathunkit?

It really works well. Nice to have all the steering you can handle on a 2wd slash!

Just want to add, that the only thing I had to do to use the trx springs on the ae shocks was put AE top spring retainers inside trx retainers and replace AE bottom spring cups with traxxas cups. I need a full set of losi springs for tuning.

Just a little vid to show what I have been up to:

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Champion
    There is a whole lotta tweakin' going on at your place Rag6!
    Hmmm, progressive springs don't sound predictable to me?
    In the search for speed does this motor overpower the track? Does a 3800kv motor weigh less and maybe have more acceleration?
    Do you have any flow thru ventilation on the body for maybe less drag or a different downforce on the straight?
    So when are you going to drill holes in the axles to lighten them up?
    Have you considered rolling resistance of tires, I know you are running the Calibers, is there another tire to try that could give less rolling friction?

Lifting the front end up eh? Power or is it getting air under it do you think??
    Does your fan ever kick on on the MM Pro, if not take it off!!!

Your new chassis should be called 'A Slice of Swiss' LOL
    Second place just makes you try harder
    Keep at it buddy, awesome advancements you have made, cool stuff on the cutting edge of being #1!

The fan does kick on. I think its only getting to about 25 mph before I have to get on the brakes, so I doubt the parachute affect does not kick in till the truck is at least at a 45 angle. I think the 4600 is right where I want to be. I will try to stick the gopro to the ceiling at the next race for a birds eye view of a heat or 2. I think the truck is really close to where it needs to be. If I can run clean, its gonna be hard to beat. That is unless Tim(my main comp) and his truck go through some mods to counter mine. He is a very good driver, but I am improving every time.

Here is a vid of my second heat when the handling was bad:

RC Champion
    I'm a little dizzy now but...........nice job man! That guy is smoooooooth and he takes a very different line kind of an angle ellipse to the center tubing pipe. You seem to have a pretty good bounce along the straight where those little ripples are, not sure if you are losing any rear bite along them or not?

You definitely have a quick acceleration when you need it but like you said catching him can be done but passing through the corner is not easy as you seem to be carrying as much corner speed as you can and any more has you bicycling. Can you gain more by altering the sway bars, are you running front only? Can you move the mount for it onto the chassis instead of in front of the axle?

Would standing the battery on edge outward most be of any help?
    Just thinking out loud here buddy to trip something that you can make work for you
    Last edited by kwitty; 08-14-2012 at 08:57 AM.

RC Champion
    http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/
    Look under racing-line and then Hairpin, your track is more like two hairpins vs a more gradual oval as I see it.

Take a look here under 'hairpin' this looks like what he is concentrating on. Can you follow him to learn the line

Very observant! The carpet is getting worn.
    My brakes were too strong after the weight reduction. Dialed them out with endpoint after that race. I also adjusted ft and rear rt side camber,oil and pre load in the right front, preload on right rear, and turned down my dual rate. I wish the expo worked on the flysky. Normally I would not change so many things, but the step over to the new radio, coupled with a different weight bias required me to just go with my instincts. It did work. It just busted before I could race lol.

I am gonna get the gopro up high for the next race. This way you can see all trucks at all times. That last vid was following the leader. When I was out of the frame, I was on 2 wheels lol.

I cannot wait to get this truck back into the next heat

RC Qualifier
    Rag6.. I don't want to change frames from my stock slash.. how do I do that and still make it affectively fast..

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to be running dirt oval also..

RC Qualifier
    Rag6,

Are you allowed any aero aids? I put a side air dam (on the left) and it worked wonders.

finally broke down and read your thread after the lcg thread i started earlier. must say that yours looks like a superior setup for racing, but just dont think its for me for the basher. i mean it may hold up? but one bad wreck after that 30 days and im out alot of money lol, and with my luck thats exactly what will happen lol.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

at .crispy: Any 1/8 size Late Model body, or 1/10 sct(for sct class). Nothing added to the body unless its a crack repair. Funny thing is, I dont think it would matter. Our outside dimensions of our track are 75x 35. So the center pipe end to end is around 50 feet. I have to get on the brakes just past the 1/2 way point of the straights. We may be getting to 25-30 mph. Dont think the aero mods would do much anyway.

@08kgraves. I can tell you that while bashing as a slash MT:

around 40mph I have had a bunch of "bad" crashes. I have broken proline and traxxas plastic parts, and bent my rc solutions alum caster blocks. The chuck work parts are very very tough, and still all original and in tact. I contacted chuck the day I received the kit, and asked how much to replace the 2mm bottom chassis plate (thought it was too thin) with a 3mm custom version. He told me $20 shipped. Thats for a custom made part that is the biggest part in the kit. In the communications I have had with him, it seems that the customer service (have not needed anything yet) will be awesome. If I do build another slash for bashing, it will have a chuckworks chassis. The bottom of the chassis gets scratched easily is the only durability issue I have found. You can get a clear stick on chassis protector from ae or losi. I am as surprised at how durable it is, as you are hesitant to trust it.

Take my word. The a-3 can handle serious 35-40mph bashing. Kev, resend your address to me, and I will send you a piece of the chassis that I cut off so you can check out. I took 1 of these 2mm pieces and tried to snap it with 2 pair of pliers, and the stuff is very very very hard to get to break. It will not just snap apart.

I did not run this chassis on 3s, but pretty much anything will fail in a 50mph+ crash. Alum will bend.

Quote Originally Posted by jfbaucom View Post
    Rag6.. I don't want to change frames from my stock slash.. how do I do that and still make it affectively fast..
    Your gonna have to get the majority of the weight lower than it is now. If you are racing against other manufacturers trucks, they have the battery mounted much lower than a stock slash. If you are racing in a box stock slash only class, then I can help you with some setup tips. In that situation, most of it is is how you drive though.

im assuming you meant ken not kev? lol alright ill pm you in a sec to give you my addy. i wouldnt mind seeing this chassis structure in person a little more. well chassis material in person i guess i should say.

no real plans for running 3S at the moment. my 2S is working just fine for me. maybe after some axle upgrades and whatnot. but also a little concerned about overheating that stock motor/esc think the esc fan and a motor heat sink will help out? looks like none of them will fit with stock gearbox if you ask me though. atleast the esc fan.
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    rag6: Do you think the slice-B chassis can support the mamba monster power?
    Maybe I am going to buy the slice-B chassis and use 3s lipos and/or 4s lipos (maybe 5s and 6s lipos, Who knows.... )
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

Yes, Kenny lol. Send you a sample sometime this week...

Dbg, I think it would handle anything the stock chassis will. Just my opinion.

im thinking you need to go into more detail on what was involved to get a 4x4 bellcrank system on the 2wd. because i hate the stupid cheap servo savers. my maxx 4907 had the two piece crank with the spring and it worked amazing. would really love to get that back. already had to replace the servo saver once.
    Drag It!

It will drop right in. I modded my crank to get a little different geometry. you take out the center stock link and install a shorter one. I will try to find that thread over on urc...

Oh, the 4x4 spring is a bit weak. Use an emaxx spring if you want it to be stronger. I simply just cut 2 body washers down to fit under the spring to make it stiffer. I think my spring is getting weaker over time, so I will be installing a maxx spring soon.

oh it just fits right on? you made it sound like you had to modify it to get the correct geometry. ill keep that spring tip in mind though
    Drag It!

For racing on carpet, I wanted the geometry like the stock crank like

l l

the 4x4 geometry is like

\ /

I used to run the 4x4 geometry bashing and never noticed any issues. However, when I got on the carpet, it felt like the front end was slower to respond at low speeds and twitchy at high speeds. I needed more precise low end steering and shortening the center link helped a bunch. This was after I made the spring tighter with the preload spacers when I was bashing the setup. Get the maxx spring and try it bashing. You will like it.

ahh, got you
    Drag It!

RC Enthusiast
    Rag,

I'm new to RC, but I'm definitely not new to oval track racing real rigs (sleds, cars, quads). It looks like you're sprung equally on the outside and inside shocks, so have you tried stiffening the outside a bit? Or alternatively softening the inside? Your track isn't really what I'd consider an oval, but a slight adjust may help with turn in while not hurting your straight line. Perhaps dial in a little negative camber on the right, and maybe a bit of positive on the left to keep the tires running flatter, although I'm not sure really how much tire roll you'd have with light weight cars. Can you also extend axles at all? If so, it maybe worth adding some width to the outside. Bear in mind all this will affect straight line performance, but improve cornering, even on a flat-track.

Not sure if that will help you at all, because I'm not certain how much different the RC car is from a real one, but if you can gain another tenth from my drivel....

thats a very good point, it will definately help you. set up outside tires at say -2 camber, and inside at +2 camber, that way it flattens out in the corners. should allow for faster cornering on that oval for sure.
    Drag It!

I have been working out the camber for a few months now. I run a little more neg camber on the right side, and if you look at that setup vid again, you will see that I have much more preload on the right side. When the chassis weight was centered, I had more preload on the right. Moving so much weight to the left as I did, I had to take some out. Right now, on the right ft shock, I have as many preload spacers as will fit on the shock body. I cannot fit any more. I have a heavier spring that will go on Sunday so I can use less preload. I did try different length arms for a left offset chassis, but under braking, the car would spin out even on carpet. The car was way unbalanced from braking to acceleration and vice versa.

One other thing... the truck gets all the traction I could ever want. The trick is to get some of that traction to go away for balanced handling. I get an easier to drive truck with bald tires. I may be a a tenth or 2 slower per lap, but in traffic, not 1 truck on the track is as agile as mine, and if I hold my line, no one can pass me on the outside.

There may be a 17.5 class starting up. These will be the bodies:

I think I like it....

looks pretty awesome to me! i wish i had somewhere near me to race. i would love to tune and tweak to try and get the fastest car.
    Drag It!

In the race vid above, the guy in the lead is running that exact body. Its from Barts Parts. That pic is on a slash 4x4.