Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    84

    Just ordered a Stampede 4x4 VXL!

    Hey fellas! Adding yet another rig to the stable.

    Just ordered a new Stampede 4x4 VXL! Gonna throw a set of RPM revolvers with Wheelie King tires on it and just bash the crap out of it! PUMPED about it!!!

    More than likely will only be running it on 2S since speed won't be a primary concern, so are there any immediate upgrades I should consider besides RPM arms? (which are already ordered and will be here before the truck even arrives)

    From what I've read these trucks are beefy as all get out and can REALLY take some abuse, which is why I wanted one. Sick and tired of breaking something every single time I bash my ERBE.

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    5,370
    If you have thoughts of jumping, recommend replacing the stock plastic shock caps with aluminum caps, the plastic caps will pop off. While you are in there, put 40wt in all of the shocks, and get the sway bar kit.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    84
    Got a spare set of big bore shocks for my Slash I was gonna use on the Stampede, but thanks for the aluminum cap suggestion.

    Any particular reason you prefer 40 weight oil? I'm using 60 rear and 50 front for my Slash 2WD with a SidewinderSCT setup and it's pretty nice. I would think the Stampede would be a tad heavier and therefore a heavier oil would be better. Maybe 70 or 80 weight is what I was thinking. Maybe the non-progressive springs make a big difference?

    Hadn't even considered the sway bar option since I'll primarily be bashing it. Would benefit would I see adding the sway bar kit to a basher?

  4. #4
    RC Champion Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    Hey fellas! Adding yet another rig to the stable.

    Just ordered a new Stampede 4x4 VXL! Gonna throw a set of RPM revolvers with Wheelie King tires on it and just bash the crap out of it! PUMPED about it!!!

    More than likely will only be running it on 2S since speed won't be a primary concern, so are there any immediate upgrades I should consider besides RPM arms? (which are already ordered and will be here before the truck even arrives)

    From what I've read these trucks are beefy as all get out and can REALLY take some abuse, which is why I wanted one. Sick and tired of breaking something every single time I bash my ERBE.
    Agreed, aluminum shock caps for sure. Plastic pop off so easy. I run 50w with one hole piston. I also run the black Integy progressive springs. The stock white ones are way to soft imo.

    Even on 2s the plastic driveshafts will break. Look in to getting a set of metal driveshafts. Trx, MIP, Tekno are among the popular choices. I run Mip.

    Do the shoe glue body mod too.

    The body pins were always coming off and loosing them so I took stock body mount posts and modified them so I could use the proline body caps. I didn't buy the whole kit with new towers and posts just bought the caps and studs for like 6 bucks.

    I just got ERBE for birthday. Ran 2 6s packs through it completely stock and no problems so far.

    Oh you need to upgrade bearing adapter out of the box pretty much. It's not if, its when will the plastic melt down on you. Here's link to thread on it. While in there upgrade to revo slipper too.
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6148985

    I know you said your staying on 2s but here's info I posted in another thread about needed upgrades in my experience and opinion, and running on 3s in post # 4.https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6296896



    Sent from Eastern Missouri
    Last edited by Briber; 09-01-2016 at 05:50 PM.
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4 & 82 mph Rustler Shredder

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    84
    Thanks for the head's up on the bearing adapter Brider! Just ordered one along with the revo slipper from Tower.

    Probably go MIP on the driveshafts too, I love their stuff, but I'll wait until I break those to replace them. I've got the Pro-Line caps on my Slash and my E-Revo and I like them, but not sure I like them any better than pins. Plus, if I lose a pin I've got a million more, if I lose one of the screw on caps I'm SCREWED. (ha ha, get it.)

  6. #6
    RC Champion Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    Thanks for the head's up on the bearing adapter Brider! Just ordered one along with the revo slipper from Tower.

    Probably go MIP on the driveshafts too, I love their stuff, but I'll wait until I break those to replace them. I've got the Pro-Line caps on my Slash and my E-Revo and I like them, but not sure I like them any better than pins. Plus, if I lose a pin I've got a million more, if I lose one of the screw on caps I'm SCREWED. (ha ha, get it.)
    Your welcome. That's funny, thats why I bought extra. Imo they hold body on better and the only way I loose them is if I don't screw them on studs. Everytime I rolled the pede pin would come out and by the end of the run I'd have one pin left holding body on lol.

    Sent from Eastern Missouri
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4 & 82 mph Rustler Shredder

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Steinbach, Manitoba
    Posts
    66
    shoo goo and drywall tape with washers glued on the body holes under the drywall tape.
    Way longer lasting for bashing

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    543
    I added then took the swaybar off my Stampede works great on my slash for track speed . for bashing I think true independent on all 4 corners is best

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    72
    2s is ideal for bashing, this way you dont have to worry about overheating. Personally I would run it stock then mod as you break stuff. Get a light kit on there and you can bash with style at night

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Steinbach, Manitoba
    Posts
    66
    wouldn't 3s be nice tho, you get more power on demand. Imagine some pitbull decides he doesn't like ur stampede!

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    5,370
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
    Got a spare set of big bore shocks for my Slash I was gonna use on the Stampede, but thanks for the aluminum cap suggestion.

    Any particular reason you prefer 40 weight oil? I'm using 60 rear and 50 front for my Slash 2WD with a SidewinderSCT setup and it's pretty nice. I would think the Stampede would be a tad heavier and therefore a heavier oil would be better. Maybe 70 or 80 weight is what I was thinking. Maybe the non-progressive springs make a big difference?

    Hadn't even considered the sway bar option since I'll primarily be bashing it. Would benefit would I see adding the sway bar kit to a basher?
    For me, anything heavier than 50Wt would not allow the suspension to flex fast enough to absorb landings, causing broken parts.

    Swaybars help no matter what you are doing with it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by iBash27 View Post
    2s is ideal for bashing, this way you dont have to worry about overheating. Personally I would run it stock then mod as you break stuff. Get a light kit on there and you can bash with style at night
    Agreed on 2S for bashing. Light kit might be fun! Anyone make a light kit that you can just plug in to the receiver box for power?

  13. #13
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Steinbach, Manitoba
    Posts
    66
    Heard of people melting the stock plastic one, there are videos on how to replace it.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAAHD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •