RC Racer

Best Brushed Motor

I need the best brushed motor for the stampede. With my stampede I may be running little 3S and mostly 2S lipos. I really just bash around in my grass hitting jumps. I know you all will say " Go brush-less its better!" I don't have to much to spend and I already has a slash VXL I can swap motors with if im speed needy. Im looking to spend about 20$ unless you can find a SUPER cheap brushless setup.
    Slash CC 4600
    Pede 2X4 Titan
    Revo Fiego 8XL

Why not save up? Run ur second brushless set up, while u are saving up money instead of spending it on a brushed set-up. May take u a few paychecks to put the money aside for a excellent 110 set-up but it would be very well worth it.

Besides that, an Electrifly s-600 is a great brushed motor, and is a great price. Its only costs 16 dollars.
    U wont be able to run 3s. Theres just no way, even if its "little" its still the same amount of volts. Even if it doesnt store as much of it.

if ur going to use 2S on ur brushed set-up. Make sure u got LVC on ur speed control, or u buy an external low voltage cut-off or alarm device.

We dont just say run Brushless cuz its cooler and such, its because of its many benefits. Eventual cost savings and maintence, and most importantly.. Running 3s batterys and such. But even with 2s, which most people stil run 2s on their pedes, A Brushed 2s system, does not compare to a brushless 2s system. By a longshot.

Only lately have people been getting around to running 2s on a brushed motor. But even then, there just isnt the guts in the system to get over obstacles and such. hills, grass etc... "thats" why people say go brushless. Its more than just cuz its more popular, Its more because its whats capable.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 02-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.

RC Racer
    Yeah but I have to send in my Sidewinder to castle for repair and that takes 3+ weeks. I can't/Don't want to wait that long haha. I dont have a job so money is tight for me and I have to fix my other 2 cars which doesn't help. Ill look into that motor.
    Slash CC 4600
    Pede 2X4 Titan
    Revo Fiego 8XL

I hear ya bro. Sorry to hear, Why not run ur VXL system from ur slash if it has to get fixed anyways until u can get ur sidewinder sent back. Personally I run the Sidewinder ESC, with VXL Motor and it does real great for me.

RC Racer
    no I messed up the Sidewinder is my brushless, my bad on that part wrote the wrong thing
    Slash CC 4600
    Pede 2X4 Titan
    Revo Fiego 8XL

RC Champion
    There are brushed motors that handle 3s without a problem. But they are not cheap or for the average person.

And if you want just a cheap motor to get running with that can handle 3s then I suggest the Titan 21T out of the E-Maxx. It should keep you running until your other systems get repaired.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Does that 21t turn any rpms on 3s?

RC Champion
    Based on the speed of the E-Maxx I would say the Titan 21T is not a rocket ship. But in a pede one could gear it like none other and probably do 35+mph. It definitely is not the best brushed motor out there but it meets the price and power requirements the op laid out.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/3903emaxx
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer
    Can the XL-5 take the 21T from the E-Maxx?
    Slash CC 4600
    Pede 2X4 Titan
    Revo Fiego 8XL

RC Champion
    The XL5 is rated to a 12T 550. The Titan 21T is a 21T 500. So yes it can run it. But the XL5 only handles up to a 9.6v/8 cell battery or 2 cell lipo for the new ones. If you wanted to run on a more powerful battery then you would have to use a different esc.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Enthusiast
    So I also have a XL5, and money is not a problem. What is the best brushed motor that the Xl5 Esc can run? I currently have 7.2 3300 6 cell nihm batteries.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Its all relative. What esc are you running in the pede? lets start there.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Its all relative. What esc are you running in the pede? lets start there.
    This is mine, XL5 ESC

RC Champion
    The best brushed motor available that a XL5 can handle would probably be the Holmes Hobbies 2012 Team TorqueMaster Pro 15T. But at 75.00 you can almost buy a new brushless combo.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Think we got outta wack here cause Stampede66 asked the original question, than Dremer came in with his. difference between the two is Stampede66 said he had cash limiations, while dremer did not.

Stampede: No the XL cant run a 3s set-up, Its to much for it. Its not even recommened the Sidewinder run 3s constantly. I run the sidewinder ESC, with Vel motor and im stayin with 2s for the mean time because its not recommended by the community. Most say to run 3s often a Mamba Max Pro or something in that category is the way to go.

If u want a cheap brushed motor, go for an electrifly s-600. They only cost 16 dollars, have been known to be pretty fast, and durable. But for sure u wont be able to run a 3s. Unless u upgrade of course.

Dremer, If money is not an issue. DITCH this whole XL5 business and step into the world of brushless. A giant Titan motor is not practical and not great. Its still a Titan. And still requires the maintenece of a Brushed motor. Simplicity of a Brushless motor is worth $$s itself.

U can get a Castle sidewinder combo for a great price. Right around 110 dollars depending on the motor you select (how many KVs)

But btw, u can run 2s on xl5. Even before the later models with Low Voltage detection. U will just need to purchase a seperate low voltage alarm that can be had for a couple bucks off ebay.
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 02-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post

A giant Titan motor is not practical and not great. Its still a Titan. And still requires the maintenece of a Brushed motor.
    Learn your motors.

Titan 12T = 550

Titan 21T = 550

Titan 18T = 380

Titan 10T = 775
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Racer
    Ok so brushed on 3s doesnt look good. Has any tried the tacon setup on their pede? It looks nice and cheap. I dont need lots of speed, maybe like 35 mph on 3s.
    Slash CC 4600
    Pede 2X4 Titan
    Revo Fiego 8XL

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I used to run the Tacon 3650-2950kv motor paired with a castle SV2 ESC. Was a nice motor. They also have a 3500, which is comparable to the Velineon. Very good for the money if you ask me.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 02-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede66 View Post
    Ok so brushed on 3s doesnt look good. Has any tried the tacon setup on their pede? It looks nice and cheap. I dont need lots of speed, maybe like 35 mph on 3s.
    Its not that it doesnt look work good. It just doesnt function. The Speed control u have will not handle 3s. Its not built for over 8.4 volts. 3s Lipos are 11.1... Its too much power. Cant handle it.

Ul need to go for a system that can run 3s. But if u only want 35mph. U dont need 3s... U can achieve that with 2s. And Tacon motors are good for their price. Only unfortunate part is they are sold out constant cuz they are so popular. I was lookin at em the other day, and all the good KV ratings are outa stock.

But the Tacon motor still wont work with the XL5 ESC. Remember bro, its not about just the motor to handle the 3s, or which motor is better/faster. U also need the Speed control to handle it. The XL5 speed control is a "brushed" only speed control. Brushless "system" includes a brushless speed control, and a brushless motor. But those two pair. Cant do a brushed ESC, and Brushless motor.

RC Racer
    i use 3S because then i can use it with my Slash for when im speed needy lol. Would the 35amp ESC work? I was going to pair it up with the 3500 KV or 3200 KV maybe. And yes I do have a 2S I can run I just don't want to only using 2S
    Slash CC 4600
    Pede 2X4 Titan
    Revo Fiego 8XL

RC Champion
    All the 30amp esc's I could find were rated to 3 cell lipo or higher. Same for the motors. I believe many people use them with the Tacon motors. Just remember you get what you pay for.
    Oderint Dum Metuant