Re-building an old Nitro Sport

I got an old nitro sport that I am rebuilding into the new style sport. I went threw and cleaned it all up and have finally got it running but it still needs some tuning. I had issues keeping it running the other day but it was wet out so I think that may have been an issue. I cant get it running full speed either it seems very sluggish. I am getting new bearings for all of the wheels this week to see if that helps at all. I also have a bid on new tires and wheels as well as new body. I am excited to bring this thing back from the dead. Are the tuned aluminum TRX exhausts worth the money or should I keep it stock? Any other good cheap upgrades for speed? I want this to be more of a street ride but I am getting some knobby tires for a a little dirt action because it has some street tires on it now.
    Last edited by thatsmrjptou; 02-06-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    2 Slash's, 1 Nitro Sport, 1 P2DE

RC Qualifier
    Some years ago, when I was more into nitro, I bored the stinger and took the cone out of the exhuast. Seemed to increase throttle response and became more throaty.

Sent from my LG-P509
    People Eating Tasty Animals

Quote Originally Posted by Chubaka View Post
    Some years ago, when I was more into nitro, I bored the stinger and took the cone out of the exhuast. Seemed to increase throttle response and became more throaty.
    Sent from my LG-P509
    I am new to nitro so I think I know what you mean but I am not 100%. What part or the exhaust is the stinger and is the cone inside of the exhaust or is that the little piece on the side you use to prime it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmrjptou View Post
    I am new to nitro so I think I know what you mean but I am not 100%. What part or the exhaust is the stinger and is the cone inside of the exhaust or is that the little piece on the side you use to prime it?
    The prime piece. You cannot go back obce you bore it out, but on the cone you can.

Sent from my LG-P509
    People Eating Tasty Animals

the cone is inside the exhaust pipe, once removed it will increase air flow and be a little louder and will usem ore fuel with the increased air flow. the traxxas resonator pipes are worth every penny in my opinion i have one on my N Pede i am moding out and works great, though with a .15/pro.15 engine will wont see much improvement as the resonator pipes are more for the 2.5/3.3 engines but will work if you want to try. pipes can be found on ebay for around 15-20 shipped some of the time. enjoy restoring your nitro sport.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Yea I am about to win a new body for it on ebay to replace the old beat up one on it now. I would like to do maybe a show looking car since I know it wont be driven a whole lot. Nitro is kind of a pain. But I want to do all aluminum arms, a chrome exhaust, and some nice new chrome rims and new tires. Should I add a fuel filter, if so what brand is good?

RC Enthusiast
    yeah i was thinking about restoring mine...my father got me mine in 2003 and i was only 11 and didnt take care of it very well...i upgraded to differnt models but ended up geting out of the hobbby for some time....im 20 now and i miss doing it and i still have the truck....its a nitro sport SE or speacial edition. every thing is beat to crap but i found that i put a graphite rear shock tower on it lol. I say just replace the motor with a new one...i know its kind of expensive ..but in my case the motor is almost 9 years old and has just been sitting. let me know if you run into any problems....i gotta wait a week before i start to dig into it..its at my parents house.

Yea my dad said he got mine running right last night now I just gotta get all the old broken and cracked parts replaced. I got a new body and bearings for it too.

Should I add a fuel filter, if so what brand is good?
    I always run a fuel filter. I prefer Du-Bro filters, but get whatever is readily available locally.

Have fun with the project!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Gotcha. Yea I probably will get one. I need to figure out what tires to get for it. I think I want some new street tires on it casue the ones on it now are shot. Im biding on a new set of the ones that come on it but I dont really like those. The front ones have no grip on the road. But that set is much cheaper than buying 2 different sets of anacondas or victorys.

RC Champion
    I ran traxxas white dish rims and pro-line road rage tires. The white dish rims are cheap and my 3.3 sport would smash them up pretty good if I hit the curb at speed. Look into 2.8s if your wanting speed as the bigger diameter helps with top speed. If not stick with 2.2s as they are cheap. HPI has a street tread 2.2 thats a v-tread design and was just about as sticky as the road rages. If those are cheaper you could get them. 30 series road rage tires fit 2.8 wheels, just fyi if you didnt know already.
    I started with the original .15 in the sport I had. Chose to go to a 2.5 and then eventually a 3.3. Resonators are great for 2.5 or 3.3 engines but do help a bit on the .15 but I felt the original blue tuned pipe for the .15 was the best at boosting power.
    Fuel filters are always great. Get one with a washable filter element and be sure to keep it cleaned. Maybe some new fuel line to if its been sitting a good while.
    Good luck man in your restoration. Post pics if you can.
    Rustler, Alias, Stampede, and Aton+

Hey I took my sport all apart this weeked and saw the cone in the exhasut but I was scared to take it out becuase I was worried about overheating issues. I tried reading about how those cones work and it sounds like it was common thing to take of on Savages but I read somewhere about them running hot without it.

Did another tare down tonight.I love learning more about this thing every time I tare it apart. This time I went even further and took everything apart except the tranny so far but I may do that tommorow if I have time. I like electric but these nitros are fun to tinker with.