RC Enthusiast

Sidewinder3 and 1406 4600kv

Been doing a lot of reading on here and some people don't recommend this setup due to the limitations of the batteries. I have the 2200 25c ones from traxxas. Would they be enough to get the best from the CC 4600? Also what will happen to the run times?

According to the specs, those packs are capable of 55 amps... which means ran in parallel they would provide up to 110 amps. Is that enough?? The only way to really tell is with a data logger... to see how many amps the power system is demanding.

Run time will be decreased if you are going from a stock VXL to the big block.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    According to the specs, those packs are capable of 55 amps... which means ran in parallel they would provide up to 110 amps. Is that enough?? The only way to really tell is with a data logger... to see how many amps the power system is demanding.

Run time will be decreased if you are going from a stock VXL to the big block.

Would this be a good setup for the Merv. I read that the stock 380 and the sidewinder esc was a good mix, however for the for the extra 40 bucks I can get a new motor with it.

Keep in mind that new motor is going to take a new mounting plate, motor mount, hardware, and gear cover.

It is also going to raise the center of gravity which will kill handling without spending some money trying to get it back.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Keep in mind that new motor is going to take a new mounting plate, motor mount, hardware, and gear cover.

It is also going to raise the center of gravity which will kill handling without spending some money trying to get it back.
    Its not that I will use the new motor but for the price I should get it just to have. What would the sidewinder with the stock 380 give me compared to the stock vxl 3m esc?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeman38 View Post
    Its not that I will use the new motor but for the price I should get it just to have. What would the sidewinder with the stock 380 give me compared to the stock vxl 3m esc?
    Yeah you're better off buying the combo for $99.

The sv3 and 380 should be a good combo. The sidewinder should be more reliable than the vxl if you plan on running 3s.

RC Enthusiast
    What are some other good options for upgrading the stock vxl esc and motor?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeman38 View Post
    My daughters merv has the titan setup in it, I can steal the parts from it and give her my motor and esc.

RC Champion
    Sidewinder-4600kv IMO is the perfect combo it will run with great power and no heating issues. I had this on at least three minis I had in the past, running with a single 2s 2200 25c lipos, people said a single wasn't enough, but I never had an issue with it. You can use the brushed motor mount and gears cover.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    Sidewinder-4600kv IMO is the perfect combo it will run with great power and no heating issues. I had this on at least three minis I had in the past, running with a single 2s 2200 25c lipos, people said a single wasn't enough, but I never had an issue with it. You can use the brushed motor mount and gears cover.
    Any thing else I need to mount the 4600? How will it treat the rest of the drivetrain? What were your run times on the single battery? And how will the four pole effect the runtime?
    Last edited by Moeman38; 01-15-2014 at 12:15 AM.

RC Champion
    For the motor just the brushed motor mount, and the gears cover, nothing else needed, and the new receiver box if you don't have it already, when I had mine couple of years ago that was new. Drivetrain, diffs, everything was fine, but I only used for speed runs. Runtime was about 15-20 min, but like said doing speed runs at full throttle, which demanded more amps.

RC Enthusiast
    For the motor just the brushed motor mount, and the gears cover, nothing else needed, and the new receiver box if you don't have it already, when I had mine couple of years ago that was new. Drivetrain, diffs, everything was fine, but I only used for speed runs. Runtime was about 15-20 min, but like said doing speed runs at full throttle, which demanded more amps.
    Im more into the offroad stuff, however ripping down the road at mach chicken sounds like fun...So I should upgrade the axles and drive shafts?

RC Champion
    I can't say much about off-roading I never went off-roading with the mini, for that I take out the big brother. IMO the mini doesn't handle very good on rough terrain. You can upgrade as you break..

RC Enthusiast
    I can't say much about off-roading I never went off-roading with the mini, for that I take out the big brother. IMO the mini doesn't handle very good on rough terrain. You can upgrade as you break..
    Took the plunge, just got the sidewinder 3 with the 4600kvAny advise on where to start with gearing and setup? Running 2.2 proline desperados.

RC Champion
    With that setup your gearing can very a lot because it can take it. I would do a 50t spur and a 20-25t pinion.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    With that setup your gearing can very a lot because it can take it. I would do a 50t spur and a 20-25t pinion.
    I have the stock speed pinion 23 in it now with the stock spur, which I think is the 50. I want to start off with the new esc and the stock 380 vxl motor. What do I need for connections?
    The sw3 esc came with female connectors for the 4600, but I want to hook up the stock vxl first.
    Last edited by Moeman38; 01-15-2014 at 10:15 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    What a blast...... Just ran my new 4600 kv BB, with the SW3, and 2s in parallel.... cant wait until tomorrow to run my new 3s in parallel....

RC Enthusiast
    By the way, I have only ran about 15 packs through it, some singles and some parallels, and my rear trenchers are half worn...

RC poster
    Just make sure your slipper clutch is tight enough or it will slip and melt right into the spur gear.