Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

Thedreadedend's 3.2 wheels with 2.8 tires made easy.

Figured I could do a tutorial with the new set of rims and rubber I picked up. First off, I used a set of Ofna MT3 splits for my 3.2 wheels. These wheels will need 17mm adapters to go on our trucks, witch also add a few mm to the width..win/win right. Next, you will need a tire lol, go figure right. I'm using Proline's 2.8 Trenchers again. Side note, I've gone to long without badlands and am now starting to hear some funny jungle music in my head so if I loose it, just roll some badland across my livingroom floor and I should come out of it fairly quickly lol. Anyway, here's the 2 parts we are working with .......did you hear that .....the music. ...argh..

What we are going to do here is cut the new rim and tire to make them compatible. The wheel has a topical bead but we are mounting tires traxxas style here, beadles baby .. so you'll need a couple hand tools to do the job right.

You could do this job with a power tool but for the sake of a nice finish, I would urge you to use your hand tools. A power tool can take to much material way to fast leaving the edge pf you wheels looking like crap. You will invest an hour or so of work here and have a fine finish to show so just take your time and let your hands do this one.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-31-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

First, I grab my body sheers and cut the outside edge (bead) right off the wheel, both sides. I handle the scissors with the curve in the opposite direction, cut and roll the rim at the same time while keeping the scissors as flat and as close to flush as possible. You don't want any bevel to the outside edge. Just flat.

After you've cut both edges, you will still have a strip of plastic left on the rim. As seen bellow.

I used an x-acto knife to take it down to a finished edge. Notice I snapped the blade on an angle, this is so you can run the blade flat up the bead line and shave the excess plastic without the point cutting into the wheels. Trust me, it will make the job easier lol. Take your time with this part cause the outside finished edge will be seen as soon as you joint your tires. Shave a bit at a time if necessary, just be careful not to go deep, just skim the flat and less the edge you left shave right off.

After you've done this to all 4 wheels, they are ready, time to get the tires prepared.
    The tires are super easy. Its just a matter of following the line with your body scissors. Take your time to cut on the bead line, don't leave any uneven spots or it will show as a wobble after its glued on.

Cut both sides carefully clean the edges before you call it a done deal and the pair is ready for you to put together. Take your time putting the sets together, stretching the foams without ripping and taking the time to make sure it all sits right will effect the wheel greatly. Get it right and you'll have a smooth spinning wheel without wobbles . Here's how it all turned out after a careful glue job.

Original idea and credit to Baldy for his stablemaxx wheel mod. Baldy, you asked me how I got the clean edge on these wheels, sorry it took so long to reply. But here's my method.
    Oh and Digger, go get some tissue, I bet these wheels with the green glow are leaving a drool stain in your lap lol. I figured I have the Castle green in this truck so a bit more would be cool.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-31-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Nice job.
    Cant I just send them to you? JK!

May just have to put this exact combo together for my next basher this summer.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Man oh man yall are litterally kiling me. LOLOLOL

Sweet combo dread. I just ordered a set of Chrome Desperados and going to mount Trenchers to them. Then put a green dye to them. I accidently ordered the Nitro Fronts. Soon as they arrive i'll be RMA them back for the Electric fronts.

I'd hate to take another one of your idea's but might get those instead of the desperados. Who knows.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Man I am growing really fond of those wheels. Nice work on your method of cutting the edge off the wheels. When I trimmed my Trx style beaded trenchers to fit on purple clawz 3.2's, I didn't cut the outside edge of the wheel off. It worked out very well, but it took a lot of patience to glue the tires to the wheels. I'm gonna have to try your method on the next ones.

As for credit where credit is due, I can't take 100% credit for the mod, only for the sizes involved in it. I got the idea and some pointers from pavemntsurfer, who had previously done 2.2" tires onto 2.8" wheels.

Good job dread looks good.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Lol, I've been hacking 2.2s for the last year myself. It is nice to have the options available now. So we move on to bigger better tires/wheels to hack lol. I put my glue to the test all day, was a blast too.

I'm happy to tell ya, the glue held up fine lol.

I'm definately gonna try this...great tutorial!!!
    I race Associated, I bash Traxxas. 28 years in RC

RC Competitor
    Ok...excuse me, I'm a little slow. But in essence what you did is created a low profile MT, speaking in 1:1 terms?
    XL-5 P2de/EZRUN SC10/G-Force 4300 Kv 4pole

Exactly! I have always hacked tires from 2.2 to 2.8 but I started ripping the hex/wheels out because of the power its putting down. Also, I could get the MT, wide stance with offset rims.....reduce tire roll, increase performance and speed, really cool looks! I have some new really low-pro now.... with mashers. I'll post some pix in a bit.

LOVE the look of those Dread. FOR SURE! It makes the Trenchers look like they are suppose to when the foam is still in, like in ur pic, when they look all low Pro. As in ur 2nd pic. Very cool indeed. Debating on doing this, but one thing is for sure, All the rubber on my wheels helps me cartwheel on crashes like a figure skater. lol. Less rubber, less cushion. On the other hand, Higher performance,and MUCH meaner cleaner look! Extra width is nice too
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 07-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

Here's the low pro mashers I'm running these days.... just as tight to the rim as I can get them.

And next to a 2.8. The 3.e low profile is both, sorter and thinner mounted up. Talk about some killer grip!

RC Competitor
    What vehicle is that? Is it a basher only?

This is a sl2sh. It's a basher, rototiller, pets ...oops, I mean remote control pest controller, dog walker...leverage/insentive with the kids.. it has really wide stance with these wheels, doesn't race as well as it could with a sc set up but it looks and handles like a monster truck.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    dread, 3.8 masher 2ks are next i assume?

i like it!

RC Competitor
    Looks awesome! I'm looking around for a Slash roller to make a MT for my son.

ok, now I want 3.8 masher 2ks... How do I make the foam that thin????

Maybe a cut right here? How would the new beads fit 3.8 rims?

RC Competitor
    I'm thinking tires with that low of a profile might not need foam? With the sidewalls being that short, they are going to have a lot of vertical strength.

Another idea would be to fill the tire with spray foam, let it dry, then trim any excess back before mounting to the rim.

I think, actually I'm very sure, that mounting 2.8 tires onto 3.8 wheels will leave so little sidewall that all you're gonna end up doing is destroying the wheels very quickly. With minimal sidewall, the truck is going to rely solely on the suspension to absorb the small bumps, so id say you would have to run the suspension very soft to help with the control. Also, you will be pretty limited with the terrain you can run on because on surfaces like gravel, the tread face will be so firm that there will be no allowance for the tire to conform to the rocks etc. But for carpet racing or street racing, oh man would some 2.8 trenchers on 3.8 wheels rule the road! These are just my theories, as well as the reason I haven't tried this yet. I have thought about it a lot though. So if you're willing to try it out, id love to see the results.

Sent from Baldy's Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100M using Xparent purple Tapatalk 2.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for this thread, I went to trim the rpm stablemax wheels and after 30 seconds I gave up. Got out my 90 degree die grinder with 2" 36grit disc and buzzed off the lip in 10 min for all 4. Leaves a nice edge, trim with razor for the little spots. I'm just going to thrash the truck so show quality lip isn't my thing.

RC Qualifier
    Keep coming to this thread, but haven't had the time and the balls to do it yet

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome! I will be attempting this on my stampede! On some 2.8 trenchers and 3.2 desperadoes I do believe!

RC Enthusiast
    I have an upgraded stampede 2wd with flm extended aarms(soon to be protrac this week as I do not like the flm aarms). I have a quick question. I have some 17mm 3.2 rims that i got brand new along time ago. Does the same rules apply to them. Cutting the lip off on both sides. These are the rims. I wanna put my 2.8 trenchers on them as they have that deep dish look and I like to be different. Mine are gold and were free so why not lol. I finally found where they came from.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-83005-blue.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas22 View Post
    I have an upgraded stampede 2wd with flm extended aarms(soon to be protrac this week as I do not like the flm aarms). I have a quick question. I have some 17mm 3.2 rims that i got brand new along time ago. Does the same rules apply to them. Cutting the lip off on both sides. These are the rims. I wanna put my 2.8 trenchers on them as they have that deep dish look and I like to be different. Mine are gold and were free so why not lol. I finally found where they came from.

if the rim has a bead slit, then yes, I would trim it off. Set your tires on there and see hoe they sit before cutting into your wheels. If the tires seat without a problem.. you wouldn't need to trim the rim. Its up to you. Dry fit first, then make your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    Keep coming to this thread, but haven't had the time and the balls to do it yet
    I hear ya! Its tough whipping out a knife and carving into $20 in wheels, then $40+ in tires, and you wont me to do what with scissors lol
    Whipping.... whip .....Will Wheaten ..... cool whip... lol whoooip cream..... cool whooip lol lmbo! Ya brian, that's how I say it!
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 03-12-2013 at 08:22 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks I appreciate it. Believe it or not I had my 2.8 badlands off my other truck I just tried them real quick and I gotta say it looked awesome. I will be putting trenchers on there though and not my badlands although it looks really sick with the low profile look with the badlands stretched on there hehe. Might have to try it and see how they hold up. Once again thanks and I have read every thread you have ever made as well as Baldydaniels and many others and I gotta say I have learned alot, I just do not post much as I like to figure things out myself first.

Lol, I was a reader for about a year without even joining. Pavmentsurfer talked me into joining after months of sharing pix by email. Glad to see you found something worth chatting about. And badlands, oh ya, my #1 tire for bashing!

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas22 View Post

How hard do you run your truck? I'm betting those wheels are made with hard plastic and it would be a shame to see you go through the whole process of trimming, prepping and gluing ad end up breaking a wheel right away. Since you have the wheels without tires on them, grab one in your hand and give it a squeeze and see if they flex at all. If they have little or no flex and feel like hard toy grade plastic, then I'd recommend you use some more durable wheels. I tried a set of hard plastic wheels like those once because they look so nice, but after the first run every wheel had cracks around the hex drives and two wheels had cracked along the bead. Those wheels do look nice, but trust me when I say it will be a real bummer to have to remove your brand new tires from them after they break right away. More trouble than it's worth bud. Just a heads up.

RC Enthusiast
    Funny you say that. I was looking at that when playing around with them today. Glad you said something. I am deciding not to use them. I am trying to find some ofna mt splits but no luck on eBay as all i found were white ones. I will Google around and see what i find. Can i ask a stupid question. Why is it necessary to trim the tire or does it depend on the 3.2 rim. I am just curious.

Trimming gives a smaller sidewall. Most of these guys just stretch um on but I find that alot of the tires stretched, still balloon, look out of place with the treads sort of washing/floating from side to side .....not centered over the wheel and can easily move from side to side while cornering. For me, its a must cut for max performance, low profile finish and it also eliminates roll. The finished wheel/tire combo comes out the same size as it was (2.8 sized) before going up in wheel size.

RC poster
    My friend has a set of badlands with badly damaged bead, they ripped of in big jumps we've been doing all winter. I was wondering if the tires could be salvaged for use with this method. If we deem them to be in good enough condition (there are some minor rips in the sidewall), I was wondering what foam should be used? Is the one that came with the tires ok (probably need a brand new set of those), or does someone perhaps know better ones, maybe even molded or closed cell ones that would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Coly View Post
    My friend has a set of badlands with badly damaged bead, they ripped of in big jumps we've been doing all winter. I was wondering if the tires could be salvaged for use with this method. If we deem them to be in good enough condition (there are some minor rips in the sidewall), I was wondering what foam should be used? Is the one that came with the tires ok (probably need a brand new set of those), or does someone perhaps know better ones, maybe even molded or closed cell ones that would be better?
    As long as the tears dont go past the diameter required, youll be just fine. Even if there is one or two tears that exceed the 3.2" diameter youll need, as long as you glue the tears shut with CA glue BEFORE you glue the tire to the wheel, they will hold. They just wont look pretty, but no big deal if it means youll get your moneys worth from the tires. I would just use the same foams they came with. Closed cell foams and dense tire foams will just add unnecessary weight and arent needed.

RC Enthusiast
    Just wanted to say thanks for this option. I just converted my stampede to a slash my and did the of a my splits and 2.8 trenchers and it was easier than putting on the trenchers on the 2.8 rims. I was a little scared at first cutting brand new tires. But it was a piece of cake. They look awesome on my slash my with that hpi g2 body. I am so thankful for u guys doing all this stuff and sharing you mods and great tutorials. I will post pics if you all want to see the turnout.

Thanks again for the help and the tut.

RC Champion
    Is the ofna split 17mm wheels the only ones that can be found with no offset? I see them on the bay in chrome and white. I would like a few more options for 17mm wheels I'm converting a couple of my trucks over.

RC Champion
    Anybody? ��

RC Champion

Thedreadedend's 3.2 wheels with 2.8 tires made easy.

Good bye desperadoes

I just removed these trenchers from there old wore out hex 12mm wheels, man i love these ofna wheels. This mode takes some time but is really easy to do and way worth it when yr finished. Ive got my badlands in the asotone bucket right now. I think I'll put them on a set of black mt3 splits.
    I wanting a good street tire on these has anyone tried anacondas or g locs? Let's see some of yalls combos

Live Action!!

RC Enthusiast
    Hello and thanks for the informations, it is unbelievably strong. No more hex problem now.
    I did it with Trenchers 2.8" + RPM 3.2" revolver without offset.

Sorry to re-open the topic, but I need to now some information about the OFNA wheel.
    It is really really hard for me to find it (I'm not in the US but in France).
    RPM will not be very good looking with my Parma buggy, I want to do it with 3.2" OFNA chrome rims and 2.8" badlands.
    Can you confirm that the one you use are the same as this one:
    >> Ofna Wheels Mt 3 Splits Chrome 4P 81153 NIB <<
    It is not wrote 3.2 nowhere and they look different as you picture.
    If not the same, can you please confirm the ref.
    I would be very grateful.

RC Champion
    yes those are the ones.
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    yes those are the ones.
    Thanks.
    It seems to have some offset isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rraattrroodd View Post
    Is the ofna split 17mm wheels the only ones that can be found with no offset? I see them on the bay in chrome and white. I would like a few more options for 17mm wheels I'm converting a couple of my trucks over.
    Did you find it without offset?

I test with RPM revolver without offset, it fit (very close to the chassis but don't touch at the rear)
    Nearby same width as original.
    Just be careful at the steering (it pass for me with HCG Sl4sh chassis): set the endpoint.

Last edited by Phenix2984; 04-24-2014 at 01:26 PM.

I have never seen the mt3 splits with any other offset.