Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar

Thedreadedend's 3.2 wheels with 2.8 tires made easy.

Figured I could do a tutorial with the new set of rims and rubber I picked up. First off, I used a set of Ofna MT3 splits for my 3.2 wheels. These wheels will need 17mm adapters to go on our trucks, witch also add a few mm to the width..win/win right. Next, you will need a tire lol, go figure right. I'm using Proline's 2.8 Trenchers again. Side note, I've gone to long without badlands and am now starting to hear some funny jungle music in my head so if I loose it, just roll some badland across my livingroom floor and I should come out of it fairly quickly lol. Anyway, here's the 2 parts we are working with .......did you hear that .....the music. ...argh..

What we are going to do here is cut the new rim and tire to make them compatible. The wheel has a topical bead but we are mounting tires traxxas style here, beadles baby .. so you'll need a couple hand tools to do the job right.

You could do this job with a power tool but for the sake of a nice finish, I would urge you to use your hand tools. A power tool can take to much material way to fast leaving the edge pf you wheels looking like crap. You will invest an hour or so of work here and have a fine finish to show so just take your time and let your hands do this one.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-31-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

First, I grab my body sheers and cut the outside edge (bead) right off the wheel, both sides. I handle the scissors with the curve in the opposite direction, cut and roll the rim at the same time while keeping the scissors as flat and as close to flush as possible. You don't want any bevel to the outside edge. Just flat.

After you've cut both edges, you will still have a strip of plastic left on the rim. As seen bellow.

I used an x-acto knife to take it down to a finished edge. Notice I snapped the blade on an angle, this is so you can run the blade flat up the bead line and shave the excess plastic without the point cutting into the wheels. Trust me, it will make the job easier lol. Take your time with this part cause the outside finished edge will be seen as soon as you joint your tires. Shave a bit at a time if necessary, just be careful not to go deep, just skim the flat and less the edge you left shave right off.

After you've done this to all 4 wheels, they are ready, time to get the tires prepared.
    The tires are super easy. Its just a matter of following the line with your body scissors. Take your time to cut on the bead line, don't leave any uneven spots or it will show as a wobble after its glued on.

Cut both sides carefully clean the edges before you call it a done deal and the pair is ready for you to put together. Take your time putting the sets together, stretching the foams without ripping and taking the time to make sure it all sits right will effect the wheel greatly. Get it right and you'll have a smooth spinning wheel without wobbles . Here's how it all turned out after a careful glue job.

Original idea and credit to Baldy for his stablemaxx wheel mod. Baldy, you asked me how I got the clean edge on these wheels, sorry it took so long to reply. But here's my method.
    Oh and Digger, go get some tissue, I bet these wheels with the green glow are leaving a drool stain in your lap lol. I figured I have the Castle green in this truck so a bit more would be cool.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-31-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Nice job.
    Cant I just send them to you? JK!

May just have to put this exact combo together for my next basher this summer.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Man oh man yall are litterally kiling me. LOLOLOL

Sweet combo dread. I just ordered a set of Chrome Desperados and going to mount Trenchers to them. Then put a green dye to them. I accidently ordered the Nitro Fronts. Soon as they arrive i'll be RMA them back for the Electric fronts.

I'd hate to take another one of your idea's but might get those instead of the desperados. Who knows.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    Man I am growing really fond of those wheels. Nice work on your method of cutting the edge off the wheels. When I trimmed my Trx style beaded trenchers to fit on purple clawz 3.2's, I didn't cut the outside edge of the wheel off. It worked out very well, but it took a lot of patience to glue the tires to the wheels. I'm gonna have to try your method on the next ones.

As for credit where credit is due, I can't take 100% credit for the mod, only for the sizes involved in it. I got the idea and some pointers from pavemntsurfer, who had previously done 2.2" tires onto 2.8" wheels.

Good job dread looks good.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Lol, I've been hacking 2.2s for the last year myself. It is nice to have the options available now. So we move on to bigger better tires/wheels to hack lol. I put my glue to the test all day, was a blast too.

I'm happy to tell ya, the glue held up fine lol.

I'm definately gonna try this...great tutorial!!!
    I race Associated, I bash Traxxas. 28 years in RC

RC Competitor
    Ok...excuse me, I'm a little slow. But in essence what you did is created a low profile MT, speaking in 1:1 terms?
    XL-5 P2de/EZRUN SC10/G-Force 4300 Kv 4pole

Exactly! I have always hacked tires from 2.2 to 2.8 but I started ripping the hex/wheels out because of the power its putting down. Also, I could get the MT, wide stance with offset rims.....reduce tire roll, increase performance and speed, really cool looks! I have some new really low-pro now.... with mashers. I'll post some pix in a bit.

LOVE the look of those Dread. FOR SURE! It makes the Trenchers look like they are suppose to when the foam is still in, like in ur pic, when they look all low Pro. As in ur 2nd pic. Very cool indeed. Debating on doing this, but one thing is for sure, All the rubber on my wheels helps me cartwheel on crashes like a figure skater. lol. Less rubber, less cushion. On the other hand, Higher performance,and MUCH meaner cleaner look! Extra width is nice too
    Last edited by AbSoLooT1; 07-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..