RC Competitor

Revo handles like crap!

So I have a well used E-revo and my buddy just bought a brand new one. The only difference in the 2 trucks is I run the e-maxx tires and wheels and I have the Variable Damping Kit (VDK) with 45w. shock oil. He is running 40w. and stock tires. We both use the blue/silver springs and everything else is pretty well stock. His car is on its roof more than it is on its wheels. My car handles like a champ. It very seldom rolls and will fly through a corner, Does the VDK make that big of a difference or is it the tires? He hates it so bad he is ready to throw it in a dumpster somewhere!

RC Competitor
    Maybe its the driver?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lukescb7 View Post
    Maybe its the driver?
    Not trying to insult anyone, but I would agree with Lukescb7.
    Practice, practice
    Matthew 7:7

RC Competitor
    The VDK, Tires, and your obvious experience advantage definitely add up to totally differently behaving trucks.

RC Competitor
    i was in no way trying to insult either, but when i first got my revo i had a hard time keeping it on its wheels.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lukescb7 View Post
    when i first got my revo i had a hard time keeping it on its wheels.
    +1

The VDK is deffinately a worthwhile upgrade. In the offroad position the shock will reduce compressing and rebound fast. It's very likely that it does make that big of a difference.
    Do you friend a favor and rebuild the shocks for him and allow those air bubbles to come up before reassembling. You will need to move the piston up and down a few times.

Also keep in mind that if a car traction rolls then it is due to having too much traction. If you don't want that then switch tires, driving surfaces, 0 or positive camber, or everything needs to be stiffened up to suit driving style (sway bars, p3 rockers, p3 pushrods)

Finally, my last suggestion is to add more preload to the springs and use offset rims.

I have mine set up so stiff that It handles like it's on rails. It doesn't even need sway bars since my rear tire doesn't lift in hard cornering and i get no body roll.

blue/purple
    p3 rockers and p3 pushrods middle hole
    VDK smallest piston
    70wt oil

RC Qualifier
    Tires compose the most important tuning element. What might be happening is your Maxx tires aren't hooking up the way Talons are, so instead of flipping as he is, you're truck just slides. Your friend could evaluate if he's traction rolling or just being a sloppy driver with his added traction and either tune accordingly or practice to become a more attuned driver.

RC Competitor
    Well I would love to think I am that much better of a driver, BUT I drove it too and it is awful. I really believe it is more in the shocks than anything cause his almost seems "springy" and mine is nice and firm/smooth. Also do you think maybe it being brand new that everything is still a little "tight"?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_cat1 View Post
    Tires compose the most important tuning element. What might be happening is your Maxx tires aren't hooking up the way Talons are, so instead of flipping as he is, you're truck just slides.
    Tires.. & Suspension make a huge difference. just going to a heavier shock fluid will make a big differecne too..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    If his feels springy then he might have done a really bad shock rebuild.

Upon rebuild it should seep out of the small hole in the cap as u tighten.

Or it could have leaked if it wasnt tight enough... Or if it was tightened too much and stripped some of the plastic.
    Last edited by anr2442; 01-31-2012 at 08:34 PM.

RC Champion
    One thing to watch out for, which is a common mistake with new Revo owners: bring down the ride height. Cranking the spring perches and getting the truck stood as tall as possible might look cool to you, but it's horrible for handling. As a general rule on a Revo, whether bashing or racing, if the suspension arms are not level with the truck at rest, the ride height is wrong.

Unlike most RC vehicles check for "arms level" by lifting the truck off the ground, and set it down on a smooth, slick surface, but DO NOT compress the suspension all the way. If you make an adjustment, do it again.

The reason for this is because the track width changes with suspension travel on the Revo, and the grip of the tires can keep a truck "squated" when stationary, giving you a false reading.

Using the threaded adjusters to stiffen the suspension is also a bad idea. Another check to do on the Revo is to lift the suspension at each corner until the shock is totally compressed. If the spring coils touch before the entire shock travel is reached, you have a condition called coil bind, and you WILL, at some point, bend, or break, shock shafts.

Honestly, the silver/blue combo is too stiff for most conditions, unless you're running some heavy batteries.

For racing or bashing on 4s, I use:
    P3 rockers and pushrods
    Traxxas silver swaybars, front and rear
    #2 VDP shock pistons [bypass on rebound]
    Green springs front, Tan Rear
    60w shock oil

With grippy tires on grass or pavement, this setup will still traction roll, but it's slow enough lifting the inside wheels in a turn that you can correct and catch it before it rolls. On loose surfaces, the truck powerslides well, and on a prepped track it has good side bite, with a slight push on entry.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Qualifier
    Good info int I'm thinking I've found my suspension set up been searching for the answers...trying to set the erevo up to run track with moderate jumps and tight turns
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    It's amazing what something as simple as swapping the stock wheels for 1/2" offset does for the handling.

I no longer have issues with traction rolling after making that one change.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4