RC Racer

vxl 380 motor options

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative brushless 380 motor option for a mini summit. I have looked around for them and i can't seem to find any. Anyone know of some? Thanks

RC Champion
    They are out there, the question is, why? The vxl 380 is as good as anything else out there, so unless you are looking for a big change in kv, there isn't much point. What is it you are looking to change?
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    They are out there, the question is, why? The vxl 380 is as good as anything else out there, so unless you are looking for a big change in kv, there isn't much point. What is it you are looking to change?
    I was looking for something with lower kv so it runs cooler and I can gear it higher with out big heat issues.

RC Champion
    That's not really how it works.
    That works for batteries, to keep the amp draw down to a level they can handle, but a lower kv motor geared higher to get the same speed is going to make the same amount if heat, as it's doing the same amount of work.

What you really need is a big block conversion. It does come with the downside of more weight and a higher center if gravity, so worse handling, but the upside is it will run cooler, due to more motor mass to absorb the heat, and more surface area to release it.

You just need a brushed merv motor mount.
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    That's not really how it works.
    That works for batteries, to keep the amp draw down to a level they can handle, but a lower kv motor geared higher to get the same speed is going to make the same amount if heat, as it's doing the same amount of work.

What you really need is a big block conversion. It does come with the downside of more weight and a higher center if gravity, so worse handling, but the upside is it will run cooler, due to more motor mass to absorb the heat, and more surface area to release it.

You just need a brushed merv motor mount.
    yeah i have a big block one laying around I think. Can I run a 1/10 or 1/12 (like the ones tacon leopard etc, makes) with the stock esc? Or do I need a 1/10 esc as well?

RC Racer
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m274-2848-4900kv-8t.html
    Like maybe something like this with the stock esc? Its the same size bullet connectors but i'm not sure if the vxl3m can handle a larger motor.

RC Champion
    To use the stock esc, you need to keep it at or below stock specs, which means 4000kv or lower on the motor, and don't push the gearing too hard.

Honestly, the esc is the weak link in this truck, so replacing the motor and keeping the esc won't improve much, and you will still burn up the esc if you push it too hard.
    You would be better off replacing the esc and keeping the stock motor if you can only afford one right now. Something like a castle creations sidewinder will have punch control, which will limit the amp draw by rolling into the throttle slowly, so can run 3 cell but you don't get drivetrain snapping acceleration, along with its big amp draw spikes, and the resulting extra heat.
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    To use the stock esc, you need to keep it at or below stock specs, which means 4000kv or lower on the motor, and don't push the gearing too hard.

Honestly, the esc is the weak link in this truck, so replacing the motor and keeping the esc won't improve much, and you will still burn up the esc if you push it too hard.
    You would be better off replacing the esc and keeping the stock motor if you can only afford one right now. Something like a castle creations sidewinder will have punch control, which will limit the amp draw by rolling into the throttle slowly, so can run 3 cell but you don't get drivetrain snapping acceleration, along with its big amp draw spikes, and the resulting extra heat.
    Oh alright good to know. I have a ford fiesta that has the big block mount on it but no electronics so maybe i'll put the vxl system in that and take the big block mount for the mini summit. I have a castle creations sct 3800kv combo in my rustler but I could barely afford that lol. Is there any cheaper alternatives to the sv3 esc? Maybe one of those cheap gool rc combos?