Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Your slash was doing just fine without one.
    Obviously, but a little added insurance never hurt. Like I said, on pavement it's not really needed, but for getting the most speed on a dirt road it would be an asset, almost necessity.
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's for sure worth trying out.

RC Champion
    My bad Judgegix I was referring to Ducati's 60+ speed Slash project.

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok sorry. Hey Duc...were the wheels fairly balanced on the XO when you unboxed it?
    XO-1, Roadrunner Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Lol, I wasn't sure. but I've watched videos of Judge's truck and its pretty fast too.

Quote Originally Posted by judgegixxer View Post
    Oh ok sorry. Hey Duc...were the wheels fairly balanced on the XO when you unboxed it?
    Not balanced enough, thats for sure.

RC poster
    Has anyone seen the new Acura nsx? If reps from traxxas check these forums, please make this body for the xo-1. I think it's awesome

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Not bad enough to keep me from buying one... but it is pretty spendy for a stretched Slash. But hey, hope Traxxas makes a million bucks on these. I'm happy to support a company that brings so much innovation to the table.
    I totally agree. Traxxas has always been very innovative with everything they do and goes in to all different markets. If traxxas creates a 1/5 scale in the future it will certainly be a great car better that any og the Bajas or Losi 5ts not to say that those arent good trucks but they could be better and traxxas could certainly preform their skill there
    XO-1 Supercar

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was sure hoping they'd make a 1/5th E Revo.... when they did the whole black X thing on the website I was hopeful.

If they sell enough of these, they'll probably try another high end car. You'd think 1100 bucks for a toy car wouldn't sell, but it seems like they're moving off the shelves just fine so far.

Shooting from the hip I think a 5th scale E revo is going to be like 1500 bucks.... yikes!

RC Competitor
    Totally A 1/5 off road brushless or gas waterproof e-revo would be sweet and traxxas deffinetly has potential there for such a project and after what they are getting out of the xo-1 it would be a great idea to do that. and the price would be about average for a 1/5 scale if you compare it to HPIs bajas.
    Last edited by Philbilly; 02-02-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    XO-1 Supercar

RC Qualifier
    That's a great idea ducati. What do you recommend for a good gyro?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Well I gave in and took the dremel to the car. I just notched the rear battery brace to allow side exit wires. Now my 6ah nanos fit, which I'm happy about. I was disappointed with the run time on the stock batteries, now I've got 2 sets! Plus the nanos have been excellent in my ERBE, I'm eager to try them out.

I was going to charge up everything, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Sigh... Doesn't the weather understand I've got new toys to test out????

Edit: wow that's a terrible picture.

RC Competitor
    Duc,
    Which gears you running right now >?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Still 21/46. Unless we go back to our top speed venue I'll probably stick with these gears.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Had a great run today, figured I should post a bit... to offset some of the recent frustration.

Prior to today I went to a running track, and I really enjoy running tracks, but they can be very difficult to stay on. Sure enough I came off the track and right into a deep puddle. Car went dead, and I thought I fried the ESC. I let it sit for a week and it came back from the dead.

Today I met up with a couple of buddies to run. I've smashed the canards, and my LHS STILL can't seem to get parts for this car... but the other splitter is holding up so far. Without the canards the car pushes more, and I still haven't tried the 34 pinion. This is one warning from Traxxas I'm willing to listen to, I'm not gearing any taller until I can get the canards back on the car.

I got to try my ******** 6000's today. They're a tight fit, too tight really... But they did give me good run time, power seemed about the same as stock batteries. I ran through the ****'s and the stock packs today, thats actually the most run time in a single day I've had so far.

Now that the car is showing some wear, I'm willing to experiment more. I want to thicken up the rear diff, the car pushes so much its a bit dangerous. It far too easy to run wide, and its difficult to get the rear end sliding enough to tighten up a corner.

It was a great day of running. No broken parts, car ran fast and smooth. We had 3 cars doing high speed passes, thats pretty exciting stuff. We're all telling each other not to screw this up! If everyone can hold their line, its really cool to see 3 cars blow by at 70+.

There are certainly days where I'm frustrated with this car.... today wasn't one of them. Just a great day of problem free high speed running.

RC Racer
    That's good to hear man.

Enjoy it.. It's a sweet car!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Great to hear. I would be curious to know what you are going to run in the rear diff. Thinking about going with something heavier myself.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well that was easy.... I remember when the 4Slash came out, and Traxxas had advertised that they designed the diffs to be easy to get to. They were right...

4 bolts to remove the diffuser, 3 diff case bolts, 2 driveshafts... and I'm holding the diff in my hand. This is a level 10 car, and yet very easy to get to the differential. Then there is the 2Slash, an entry level car, but requires a ton of dissembly to get to the diff.

I think this is the next frontier in design, actually considering the next guy who has to maintain it. I often curse the designers of full size cars, on my GTO I had to pull the steering rack, and it was next to impossible to get the hydraulic lines back on. There simply wasn't room for a wrench.

Associated did a lot of advertising with their 4x4 SC10, showing how easy it would be to maintain. The XO is feeling that way too... so far at least. That front battery retainer looks like a silly design though, you have to remove the center bearing supports just to get to the battery tray....

I digress. The differential was a pleasure.

I really thought I had some 100k diff oil around here, but I can't seem to find it. All I could find was my 500k. Thicker than I was planning on, but as Neil Young says, love the one you're with.

Cleaned out the old oil, the diffs are almost the same as the ERBE. Almost. I put in the 500k, and buttoned it back up.

Sadly its snowing tomorrow... but I'll test it out soon enough. Hopefully it doesn't snap oversteer...

RC Racer
    Thats main thing I love about the XO-1 is how easy it is too work on.

It's cake man, love it!

I put 100K in the front and rear deft.

I didn't get too run it yet, it was cold last night!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

RC poster
    i WENT WITH ofna 50,000 WT in the rear feel pretty close to the front..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh I'm way thicker in the rear now. If you hold the car up and turn the front wheel, the other front turns backwards.

On the rear, they'll both turn the same way, and spin the whole drivetrain... its thick.

RC Racer
    ^^^ Thats gunna be scary! 500k is way too thick for the rear. Then again, if your gyro is tuned just right, it may be interesting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Haven't had a chance to drive the XO since doing the diff.... but a buddy put together a video from our last outing.

I got a shipment from Traxxas, so I've replaced the skirt on the car, and replaced the canards... now that its back together I might just throw the 34 pinion in it.
    Last edited by ducati777; 02-20-2012 at 09:20 AM.

RC Competitor
    Nice were both xo1's unlocked ?. What did the GTP-e have under the hood ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by vision View Post
    Nice were both xo1's unlocked ?. What did the GTP-e have under the hood ?
    Yep, I'm geared 21/46, I think the grey one was 25/46. We're both unlocked.

The GTP was impressive, its a nitro coverted to BL, running off brand equipment, not sure of the cell count. I know he likes going between 5-7S, I think its a forward only airplane controller with mechanical brakes... but I'm not sure... He had an onboard GPS and reported 83.x mph on that. I was only getting 71-72 out of the telemetry, no canards. The grey was faster than me, but not by much...
    Last edited by ducati777; 02-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.

RC Champion
    Grey Xo-1 says it was running 30/46 right before smashing up it's front end. That was a bad day for it. GTPe runs like a big 2150kv geared for the 120ie on 6s.

I'm going to tell the grey Xo-1 about everything I've read here

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm going to tell the grey Xo-1 about everything I've read here
    Be sure to explain that red is still the faster color, even when the results in the video seem to contradict that...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just got back from a bash session... and 500k rear diff fluid makes for a loose car! At first I thought it was too much, but as I got used to it, it was nice... no more pushing wide in corners, with a blip of throttle the rear end swings right out.

I want thicker than stock, but 500k is probably too much... next time I'm at the LHS I'll see if I can find something in the 100-200k weight.

Also... while I can get my **** 6000's to fit, I think this is the last time I'm running them in the XO-1. They came out just slightly puffed, which they never would in the ERBE... and I don't like how snug they are in the stock tray.

But that cool, I like shopping for batteries, I'm thinking same **** 5ah are probably in order. So strange that a 1/7th scale car has such small battery trays, especially when its such an amp hog.

Broke another canard off, ended up on my roof a couple of times... poor car... hey RPM! How about making the ENTIRE aero package out of your flexy plastic??? The traxxas stuff borders on brittle.
    Last edited by ducati777; 02-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.

RC Competitor
    I finally took the car out of the box yesterday and had a blast on the street to make sure it worked. I had it for 5 days but between work and the weather I was not able to play. The little time I played, all I can say is WOW. I have not used the car to its full potential. I can't wait to go out again in a parking lot to let her loose. If you are on the fence about buying the car - BUY IT!!! you will love it.
    Last edited by 98NYFinestVette; 02-20-2012 at 07:47 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got some run time in....

Car is skittish, and pulls wildly under acceleration. Had several wrecks, but didn't really break anything. Its more scuffed up for sure.

I was doing maintenance on a 4x4 Slash that was pulling under acceleration. I went with 500k diff oil in the front, instead of my usual rear and really liked the results. I also gave the truck a good alignment, and it tracked much straighter.

I think the same is in order for the XO, back to stock rear toe, swap the diffs around so the 500k is up front, clean out the steering saver... I bought the black spring, we'll see if all that helps. I'm thinking about ditching the gyro for speed runs, at lower speeds its nice to have.... but now I need to track like an arrow.

My buddy put the 34 tooth on and it was the fastest RC I've seen in person... GPS in the car said 93 mph, telemetry about the same.

RC Competitor
    My first time on the street with the car. I did not do anything to the car other then charge and drive. I have unlocked the car and I will swap the gears in the morning for some high speed testing at a Sams parking lot. The store is closed so I should have the parking lot to myself. LOL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Padx...ature=youtu.be

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice choice on color.

RC Racer
    what kind of speeds are you getting with the 21/46 gearing? i though the stock was 25/46? would 21/46 be slower than stock?

RC Competitor
    14/46 is stock. 21/46 should be good for around 70-75mph. If you use the Traxxas App, you probably have to update the gear numbers under model setup in the garage. To keep that setting, make sure you capture current setup under setup sheets.

RC Racer
    nice thanks rd1201

RC poster
    Hey guys, first time community poster, long time traxxas owner. I actually sold about 3-4 of my other RC cars to obtain the XO-1 and so far I really love it. I know some people have commented on the fact that it is difficutl to control at times and unstable at high speeds, but I have actually encountered none of that. I live in a suburb south of Cleveland, OH and have run the Xo-1 three times in 45 degree whether without an issue at all. It is a little antsy around 40-50 mph but as soon as I get above that it hunkers down low and I have been able to make 80+ MPH passes at the local industrial parkway. I've only slipped out once when I hit the throttle too hard. Making about 15 speed runs every time I go out, I'm running 24/46 gearing and the ESC barely gets warm and the motor is nice and cool with the NACA duct. I'm loving this thing so far very much. Here, in case anyone was wondering, are my list of upgrades.

1) Avid racing ceramic revolutions on the center driveshaft carrier as well as all 4 outdrive shafts.
    2) Made a screen guard out of screen door mesh for the ESC and the opening of the NACA duct at the bottom.
    3) Custom shock covers
    4) King Headz locking wheel nuts
    5) RC Screwz stainless steel screw set on order.

It's a great car, hope everyone else thinks so as well!

Brijesh

RC Racer
    nice review brijman, so far i have not had any issues with mine as well right now im still using the stock gearing and i haven't been able to get anything faster than 52MPH but for me thats plenty fast enough for me, so far i like the ipod touch docking station even though i would love it if it showed me the voltage of the battery packs independently instead of the overall voltage. another thing i think traxxas failed on was the fact that the car sits so low to the ground and pretty much picks up all the debris from the road i actually had a small rock logged in between my spur gear on my first run its becoming a routine to turn the car upside down and shake it to get the majority of the rocks out before bringing it into the house.

RC poster
    I have been having the same issue with rocks, had one in the spur as well. This morning I actually took both the front and the rear assembly off completely and cleaned everything out because I made the mistake of running in some old rock salt from when there was a fair amount of snow on the ground. You should go for the higher gearing unlocked, I got some really nice mod I pinion gears from amainhobbies.com, hardened steel, both 24T and 28T. The 24T gives you a nice balance with not insance speed (still can go about 80-90) and good run times without getting the motor/esc too warm. To address the debris problem, i actually purchased an 18in by 18in piece of outerwears material from amazon.com, going to see if I can fold over the edges, feed a piece of elastic band through it once it is cut to size, and then but 4 pieces of velcro on the corners of the main chassis to protect the vital parts. I think someone with the handle Straffa as beeing doing that with good results thus far. Nevertheless, very exciting car, lots of fun.

RC Champion
    I guess you have been lurking for some time your not the typical first time poster. Congrats on your purchase. I find your correct about it being loose before the down force is there to pin it down some.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ran the XO today... and its still pulling all over the place. I just added the black servo spring, and cleaned up the saver. Its almost like the servo isn't centering.

I kept doing gradual passes, and the car seemed stable under just the right amount of throttle. I saw 84 mph and thats a personal best. I went for another pass, and when it felt like it was at warp speed I pushed to full throttle, and lost it....

We had the place to ourselves, the car went left, got air under it, and was coming right at us. We were standing behind the pickup truck, and the XO went into the wheel of the truck.

Next up is diffs... my buddy's XO seemed to track really well, so I know it can be done... Today was the first day on the 34 pinion.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post

Well I gave in and took the dremel to the car. I just notched the rear battery brace to allow side exit wires. Now my 6ah **** fit, which I'm happy about. I was disappointed with the run time on the stock batteries, now I've got 2 sets! Plus the nanos have been excellent in my ERBE, I'm eager to try them out.

I was going to charge up everything, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Sigh... Doesn't the weather understand I've got new toys to test out????

Edit: wow that's a terrible picture.
    do you know what the dementions are on those 6ah ****'s that you are using?? also did you have the tall battery holders or are you using the stock ones.