RC Qualifier

Tire ripped off rim, Advice on new? ...Advice on place for Online parts?

My stock 4x4 Traxxas tire pulled off of the inside edge of the rim and the foam is hanging out. I'm planning go to the hobby shop and get replacments this morning.
    I spoke to the guy at that shop yesterday, and he said he had a replacement pair for ~$25, and another pair closer to $40.
    I run my car on different surfaces (dirt, mud, asphalt, concrete...etc)
    Tire advice?
    Are the stock tires good compared to others?

My local shop seems to have reasonable prices, but to avoid the drive, I'm considering getting some stuff online.
    Advice on a good place for online replacment stuff? Good Prices? Cheap shipping? Good Parts?
    Warning: BAD PERSON-10pt infraction for trolling

RC Racer
    If your a price hunter you can find what you like at different online dealers and then hit ebay. Some sellers have good shipping discounts and some dont, just gotta shop around for the best price.

RC Champion
    if your looking for good tires, proline switch or trenchers. Dynamite has like clones of some of the prolines.....all 4 will run you roughly 40 bucks.

RC Competitor
    If the tires still have life left, you can push the foam back in and re-glue it with ca glue. It will give you some run time while you shop around.

RC Racer
    get trenchers for what you like to drive on.
    Slash 4X4 MMP
    Slash 4X2 LCG

I highly suggest Proline Switch for all terrain and long life. Like Wild said, they can be re-glued. If you are going to stay with Traxxas brand tires, you get way better grip with the S1 compound tires.
    Member of the 10,000 posts club

RC Qualifier
    For stock tires the s1 is the way to go . Im in love with proline badlands . Treanchers are great for a/t.
    EFFORT EQUALS RESULTS

RC Qualifier
    OK, Thanks guys
    I was able to get the damaged tire glued with glue purchased at the hobby shop.

At the shop I checked options of a few varieties of glued tires. $10-20 each (Proline, AKA, Dynamite)

I've also got my eye on some Proline Beadlock rims with seperate tires. At least at the hobby shop, it seemed to be a better idea to spend more on proline split rims, to then be able to spend less on terrain specific tires as needed? ... too much trouble? I haven't shopped around online just yet...
    Perhaps I can keep racing tires on the Proline beadlocks? and then use glued a/t tires for knocking around?
    It would be cheaper to keep dedicated race tires and change rubber as needed for cheaper than a whole glued-wheel?

I was reminded by one of the pros how much I was slicking around last week at the indoor dirt track with my 2 week old stock tires.

I see you guys are mentioning:
    Proline Trenchers
    Proline Switch
    Proline Badlands
    Dynamite like-clones

Proline bead lock rims are $10 each at the local shop, I presume that Proline beadlocks work well? And that all those tires are available in the beadlock version?

Are there some particularly good online RC stores? or, should I just shop around?

I have the Proline split six beadlocks! They are great wheels! Generally they work with all SC tires. Well worth the investment

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I have the Proline split six beadlocks! They are great wheels! Generally they work with all SC tires. Well worth the investment
    Thanks, I think I'll give them a try

You are welcome! That's what we are here for

RC Qualifier
    Of these tires, do I presume correctly that...
    Proline Trenchers- are these better for bashing rather than packed, indoor, clean, dirt track?
    Proline Switch- are these better for bashing rather than packed, indoor, clean, dirt track?

RC Champion
    i have badland knockoffs on 1/8 rims and those are my tires of choice for street off road and they work really well at the track.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by KewlToy View Post
    Of these tires, do I presume correctly that...
    Proline Trenchers- are these better for bashing rather than packed, indoor, clean, dirt track?
    Proline Switch- are these better for bashing rather than packed, indoor, clean, dirt track?

They might work. there are tires better suited for that terrain. Calibers and bow ties would be better suited.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.
    I'll visit one of the local tracks this Wednesday night, and I'll ask the locals what they run. If they will tell me.
    Some of those guys seem a little secerative.

RC Champion
    Keep in mind that the better brand tires have grades for compound softness. Prolines can be M2 M3 or M4 with the higher number being a softer rubber that grips better on harder dirt surfaces but will wear faster too!

Proline also has a 'beadlock' wheel that the you can mount and dismount tires on, more expensive wheel with a steel or aluminum front bead that bolts the tire onto the wheel.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    Keep in mind that the better brand tires have grades for compound softness. Prolines can be M2 M3 or M4 with the higher number being a softer rubber that grips better on harder dirt surfaces but will wear faster too!
    Proline also has a 'beadlock' wheel that the you can mount and dismount tires on, more expensive wheel with a steel or aluminum front bead that bolts the tire onto the wheel.
    Thanks for that. I do like the Proline beadlock. I am looking for a tire that will work well for a hard packed indoor track, I think a soft will do the trick. The stock tires are really poor at the track (like driving on oily ice... almost). I'll check with that track this Wednesday to find out what works best at their track, and what is permitted. They have a wierd set of rules.
    It appears that by their rules, I may not be able to enter any type of novice or beginner class because I have a 4x4.
    Anyway, if all I can do is run practice night, I'm fine with that. So far, the racers seem a bit whiny...

The best way to set your truck up is too ask a few of the other racers what they are running. That way you get a feel for what works for that track.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The best way to set your truck up is too ask a few of the other racers what they are running. That way you get a feel for what works for that track.
    Thanks. That is my plan. I expect to be at the track tomorrow night.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks to all of you for helping with tires and wheels.
    I will still eventually get proline 3-piece beadlocks for bashing. I like the metal edge for protection.

For running at the local indoor track, one of the local track pro's helped me pick out some Proline plastic rims (to keep rotating mass low, as compared to the metal beadlocks)
    Proline ProTrac Suspension Kit Split Six 2.2"/3.0" Black one-piece Wheels
    http://prolineracing.com/wheels/prot...-piece-wheels/

For tires, his latest favorites are AKA Rebar Green-Soft rubber, with Red-Supersoft foam.
    AKA 1:10 REBAR SC Soft with Red inserts (one pair)
    http://www.raceaka.com/110-REBAR-SC-...air_p_405.html

Thanks again for your help, and I'll give these suckers a try this evening at the indoor track.
    Last edited by KewlToy; 01-28-2012 at 05:58 AM.