Thread: MERV shocks

RC Enthusiast

MERV shocks

I am wondering what everybody MERV shock setup is? Which springs and oil weight do you use?

Thanks,
    Clay

RC Qualifier
    I run the Black & Tan springs with 60wt oil...it could use heavier weight oil in the back though but then again you gotta think the higher it sits the easier its gonna roll over
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Enthusiast
    Thank Devildog.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    The oil weight slows the chassis or stops it from slapping the ground, higher the # weight the thick and in turn stiffer the feel. The springs and adjustment ring decide how high/low the ride height and aids in the shocks rebound. So you find a sweet spot ....oil that's thick enough to stall the impact but still let shocks rebound matched by spring that lifts the truck to your hight with out adding bounce from to much rebound.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Enthusiast
    So I am using the stock springs in my brushed MERV, tan and black I think. I have set my preload to acheive my desired ride height, but I noticed that when the springs are compressed they dont return my merv to my desired height. Do I need to get stiffer springs? Or change the oil? I do know that the cold weather does changed the viscosity of oil. I am also using long travel rockers. Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Clay

RC Qualifier
    U need stiffer springs if u have the stock springs they are green springs all the way around get some tan an black springs with 60 or 70 wieght oil an u should be at a good starting point on ur handling

RC Qualifier
    I'm using the black springs all the way around with 80wt shock oil. The car will most likely never rebound to its maximum ride height, it's best for the suspension to sit at about 2/3 the max height. Shock oil will not affect the ride height, it's simply a shock dampener, but the spring/preload adjustment will affect the ride height.

RC Competitor
    What are the stiffest springs available? I've seen black and double black on ebay as well, what's the difference? thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Anybody got a link for a spring rate chart that is color coded?

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by bashaslash View Post
    Anybody got a link for a spring rate chart that is color coded?
    when you go on tower hobbies and look at each spring it says in the specs there rate....
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Qualifier
    You can get the summit springs, do a ebay search for '1/16 summit springs' i think they are 2.77-3.2 rate.

I'm know there are other stiffer ones but I have just never looked.e
    * "If it ain't broke, your doin it wrong" *

RC Enthusiast
    So correction, I only have a MER!!!! (Mini E Rev) So Im have tan springs in the front, and black springs in the back. So if Im understanding correctly, the oil helps to dampen any bumps, the springs raise the ride height back to 2/3 of the preload. But one thing I dont figure out is how the spring rate is figured out, and what the figures mean. If you want a higher number or a lower number. Im guessing it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What is the stock oil weight in the springs?

Thanks guys,
    Clay

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i run ace hardware springs and 5000 wt diff oil

RC Enthusiast
    whats the benefit to "ace hardware" springs?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by woog420 View Post
    whats the benefit to "ace hardware" springs?
    they are a lot stiffer than any of the traxxas springs out there... and they were cheap and readily available

i have heard the gpm stiff springs are pretty good as well, i think they are about equivalent to the ace hardware springs i run