RC Enthusiast

Can i charge a Traxxas 6400mAh 3S 11.1 V battery on my IMAX B6 Charger?

Hi guys,

Iím new to the hobby so I need your help. I have the Imax B6 Mini charger which I believe is rated at 6A max. Does that mean I cannot charge the Traxxas 6400mAh 3S 11.1 V battery that I want to purchase? Or a higher mAh rated battery, like a 7200Mah?

Appreciate your help!

RC Competitor
    MoyRC, Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably chime in, but I do not think you'll have any problem charging these at 6 amps. It's my understanding that they can be easily charged at a 6.4 amp rate for the Traxxas and a 7.2 amp rate for the other if your charger can be set for these rates.

1C is 6.4 amps which will mean your battery if charged at that amp rate will take an hour. If the max output of the charger is 6 amps then it will take a little over an hour to charge. IF the battery can accept a 2C charge (12.8 amps) then it will take 30 minutes to charge.
    I bet there is a manual that came with your charger that will explain it all. If not do a quick search here or online of how to charge lipo batteries.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haversham View Post
    I do not think you'll have any problem charging these at 6 amps. It's my understanding that they can be easily charged at a 6.4 amp rate for the Traxxas and a 7.2 amp rate for the other if your charger can be set for these rates.
    Hi Haversham, thanks for getting back to me. So the 6Amp limit on my charger does not mean I cannot charge batteries larger than 6000mAh! That's awesome, I was getting worried that I was being limited to charging 6000mAh batteries or lower.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    1C is 6.4 amps which will mean your battery if charged at that amp rate will take an hour. If the max output of the charger is 6 amps then it will take a little over an hour to charge. IF the battery can accept a 2C charge (12.8 amps) then it will take 30 minutes to charge.
    Hi Double G, THANKS for your help! Great to know that Even though my Skyrc iMAX B6 charger has a limit of 6Amps, I can still charge a bigger mAh battery at 6amps! If I understand you correctly, the Amps are just the charging rate which basically equates to how much time it will take to charge a Lipo battery?

Quote Originally Posted by MoyRC View Post
    Hi Double G, THANKS for your help! Great to know that Even though my Skyrc iMAX B6 charger has a limit of 6Amps, I can still charge a bigger mAh battery at 6amps! If I understand you correctly, the Amps are just the charging rate which basically equates to how much time it will take to charge a Lipo battery?
    Yes you can charge higher capacity batteries with a lower charge rate, just takes longer with the lower charge rate. The charger can also charge up to 6S liPo batteries.
    There is a little caveat regarding the 6 amps max charge rate. Yes the charger has a 6 amps max charge rate but it also has a 60W limit for charging so the amps will be reduced once the max Wattage has been reached. E.g. a 3S battery has nominal 11.1 Volts and fully charged 12.6 Volts so at nominal voltage you will get 60W / 11.1V = 5.4 Amps max charge rate and it will slowly drop down to 60W / 12.6V = 4.8 Amps as the battery gets charged.

Edit to add: You can still set the 6 amps on the charger but it will never get this value during charging if the 60 Watt limit has been reached.
    Last edited by Panamon Creel; 07-13-2016 at 10:53 AM.

That is true. Use this: http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/info...ge-calculator/ helped me out a lot.
    The Super Derecho

No negative impact to the battery if charged at a lower rate, on the contrary it is actually a little less stress for the battery. It will still fully charge just takes a little longer to complete (it will take about 1.5 hours for a full charge).
    Just wanted to let you know about the wattage limit so you're not surprised when you see a lower actual charge current than what you've initially set on the charger.

RC Enthusiast
    **Please do take the time to understand the rules around here: Traxxas product support only. You'll need to read the manuals that came with the products and if you have any questions you'll need to take them to the respective manufacturers.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-17-2016 at 06:39 AM.