Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Honda's Revo Project

This revo is my first venture into the Rc hooby! I knew nothing of what i was getting myself into, or how addicting it could be!
    Ok here we go. I wanted to share my journey of my used revo with some people that might actually be interested. I only have one friend that has any interest in the Rc hobby. Most people are like "what are you 12 again?!"
    It all started with a friend owing me $100. He had a revo sitting in a rubbermaid tub that he had gotten off a guy who was hard up for some money. My friend thought it would be cool for his 10yr old son. well it had been sitting there for a few months untouched. I told him how bout you give me the revo and we'll call it cool on the money he owed me. He said another 100 bucks and its yours. I bought it. If I only knew then what I know now.
    LOTS of issues with it. For starters, it was missing any type of starter. Just had the EZ start gear hanging off the back of the engine. No front drive shaft. Servo box destroyed. Linkage gone. Stripped screw hole in the crankcase. Bumpers almost gone. Two sets of tires, but only 3 of each kind of tire. No air filter.
    The guy at the hobby shop wasn't much help the first time I took it in there.
    Probably figured this guy isn't going anywhere with this truck, no sense in wasting my time with him. I got an EZ start, throttle servo, and front drive shaft. Off I went to get my Revo running, or so I thought.

RC Qualifier
    I got home and got the EZ start on. Progress. Then went to do the drive shaft. Yeah that didn't work. The guy at the hobby shop only sold me the shaft. No u joints! At the shop I didn't know what i needed exactly, thats why I was there with the revo in hand so he could look at it and tell me. On to the servo, after doing some research thats when i found out the whole servo box was destroyed. Thats also when I found out it was supposed to have a micro servo too! Day 1 of work on the revo didn't go so well.

RC Qualifier
    Then I found eBay. Oh my! I hadn't realized the extent of parts available on there. Game on! Air filter, full drive shaft, new plastics, linkage, micro servo and more. I was on my way.

RC Qualifier
    3.3 ready to go!

RC Qualifier
    How the Revo looked when I first got it.

RC Champion
    hey um just to let ya know...the tires are on backwards...except for the one talon that is different. The body looks in good shape is that the one it came with?
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Qualifier
    Lol! yeah i soon realized that about the tires! And yes thats the body It came with. It wasn't in too bad of shape when I first got it. Can't really say that now though. As I'm new to this, its spent plenty of time on its lid.

RC Qualifier
    You know what! Actually now that I look at it. I didn't even have the engine in it when I took these. Guess I just couldn't wait to snap some pics.

RC Qualifier
    I got the engine installed. Started cranking it with the EZ start. Wouldn't start. Couldn't figure out why. Kept at it and realized I had fuel spraying out from the bottom of the cooling head. Must be loose. Tighting screws and found the one of them had been stripped out. So back to ebay and ordered a new crank case.

RC Qualifier
    Got the engine all back together but it still wouldn't start. Finally a friend of mine helped me out and we go it running. However, it wouldn't move at all. After checking things out i found that the spur gear was missing some teeth. Go figure. Back to ebay.

RC Champion
    good luck dude. spray some wd40 in the carb before you start it to prime it a bit then it shud fire right up if you do that every time.

RC Qualifier
    Wd40 in the carb plus priming the fuel?

RC Champion
    It helps lube the internals enough for the oil in the fuel to do its job. Once you are done do the after run with some after run oil or WD40 and it will be lubed enough for the next time you want to run it.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Qualifier
    Yeah i do my after run. I actually just took the engine out and took the head off and back plate, cleaned and lubed everything up. I have no idea how much fuel has been run through this little 3.3, but im trying to make it last as long as it can.

RC Champion
    I dont think two hundred is a bad deal for a used revo, that needs some tlc,seems like you have the situation firmly in hand, like on a lot of threads you,ll see, be patient and learn to tune and your engines will last a long time. I sure wish I had more disposable income for this hobby, I could really get crazy with it.With two high maintenance women to take care of Little Greggy doesnt get much...lol
    Master of Traxxas engine longevity....

RC Qualifier
    Once i got the spur gear on, i caved in and took it to the hobby shop. With all the new parts and nothing properly adjusted, i wanted someone who knew what they were doing to tune it up. At least so i had a solid base line to start from. Talked with the same guy at the lhs as before. he thought i had bought a new revo, lol. once we got talking he could see that i was serious about getting this thing goin. he was much friendlier this time. I told him everything i had done and im glad i did. i had taken the tranny apart to see how things looked in there. theres a washer thats bent slightly, i had flattened it out. he told me that was the wrong thing to do. oops. a few days later i went back and picked it up, he said it was running good. i couldn't wait to run it! Even if it was 30 out and snowing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdoIoQyZ5c
    Last edited by honda95freek; 04-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.

RC Qualifier
    After this first run, i found that it wouldn't shift into second. tried adjusting the clutch but no luck. The next week i was running it and went through a bit of plowed corn field and all of the sudden it was like and unleashed beast! What changed? The rubber tube coming off the muffler had got snagged off on the corn stalks. But heres the deal, the guy before me took two of those rubber tubes and joined them together with a cut piece of a bic stik ink pen. it was restricting the exhaust too much. Now this thing was moving at full speed!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SnT6SxoIN0
    Last edited by honda95freek; 04-05-2011 at 03:35 PM.

RC Champion
    That thing doesnt sound too good...like its bogging and not getting up to speed

RC Qualifier
    merv, does it sound better on the second clip?

RC Qualifier
    North end of Las Vegas. Not North Las Vegas.
    It doesn't sound to bad. And it shifted good, but a little early..
    Small minded people are fun to watch.....

RC Champion
    Oh i did not see the 2nd because i was typing allready when you posted 2nd so i didnt see it...Yeah the 2nd sounded How it should...but like ryder said change the shifting time a bit so it gets higher rpms in first..and i see different tires on it...did you buy a matching set?

RC Qualifier
    Sure did! I actually got these before I ever ran it the first time. After running it a few times I went for the wing too. With it sliding on its lid a lot, a damaged the blue glow plug wire. New wing and a little heat shrink took care of that problem.

I also got a fuel filter for it also

RC Qualifier
    Been having some fun with the revo. Couple outings, usually run two tanks of gas through it. Little damage too. Broke the front mount by hitting a concrete step.

And on another day of bashing i made a wot run and tapped the brakes with the wheel turned slightly on the grass. After about 6 cart wheels it looked like this.

Pulled the pivot balls right outta the knuckle.

RC Qualifier
    I fixed those issues and ran it again at the park. got kinda dirty so did a good clean on it. took the engine out. head off to check how things were looking inside. piston has a honey color to it, which i think is good. lubed it up cleaned the one way bearing. didn't really soak it with oil. just ran some wd40 on it. i read later, after it was back together, that i proly should have soaked it. hmm... might need to do that. tightened the slipper clutch an 1/8 of a turn too. i ran it today and it just wasn't the same truck. wouldn't shoot off the line, bogged down really. wouldn't shift into second. didn't seem like there was much smoke coming out, gave the hsn a slight 1/8 turn to richen it. little more smoke. but no more go. the idle seemed to take longer to drop down today as well. this tuning bit is gonna be the biggest challenge for me on this truck. not sure whats going on. and may the slipper clutch be too tight now? insanity, it did start up much better today though with the wd40, thanks man
    Last edited by honda95freek; 04-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.

RC Champion
    NP I remember how hard it was to crank a new engine then it was a little easier with WD40, also someone on here recomended it in another thread.

RC Competitor
    I picked up my Revo 3.3 for $90, found it on craigslist so I left the next day to get it. It is a 2.5r frame and it had a 2.5r in it. I dropped a new 3.3 in it and had to get some gears in the tranny. Took it out for its first run after break in today. This thing is fast!
    Revo 3.3
    Stampede VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by honda95freek View Post
    I fixed those issues and ran it again at the park. got kinda dirty so did a good clean on it. took the engine out. head off to check how things were looking inside. piston has a honey color to it, which i think is good. lubed it up cleaned the one way bearing. didn't really soak it with oil. just ran some wd40 on it. i read later, after it was back together, that i proly should have soaked it. hmm... might need to do that. tightened the slipper clutch an 1/8 of a turn too. i ran it today and it just wasn't the same truck. wouldn't shoot off the line, bogged down really. wouldn't shift into second. didn't seem like there was much smoke coming out, gave the hsn a slight 1/8 turn to richen it. little more smoke. but no more go. the idle seemed to take longer to drop down today as well. this tuning bit is gonna be the biggest challenge for me on this truck. not sure whats going on. and may the slipper clutch be too tight now? insanity, it did start up much better today though with the wd40, thanks man
    Go on you tube and search for how to tune a nitro engine. The slipper would not have the result you are describing, that is a tuning issue (or the engine going or bad fuel). Have you tuned the low speed needle?

Despite what a lot of people say, I found the 3.3 to be very easy to tune. When it is in the sweet spot, you will know lol.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Qualifier
    Oh my oh my. I really wonder what the original owner of my revo was thinking. As I stated before I had cleaned out my OWB and used just a little wd40 to lube it. Well shortly after a bad run with it (has a bad tune on the engine im sure) I read on here about you guys lubing the OWB with oil rather than just some wd40. so i took it back out and i have it in some oil. And i did some more reading. Come to find out there's a washer that mates up with the OWB and the back plate. not on mine. My manual doesn't have an exploded view of the 3.3. found one on here. and guess what else is missing. the rubber o-ring on the back plate where it mates up to the crank case. uuggghh... more parts. what type of effect do you guys think not having these two parts would make?

RC Champion
    Hard to start and hard to tune and will just die for no reason. The missing O ring will make it hard to tune. The missing spacer can make it hard to start because the OWB will be able to slide on the shaft and also this can cause it to bind while running will stop the engine dead.

RC Qualifier
    Ha! That totally sounds like my Revo. Which its good news. Figured I would order a new OWB and new back plate. Found a new crank shaft for a few bucks mine as well do that too while im in there. Poor baby monster truck and all its missing parts.

RC Qualifier
    ok so i got my new back plate, OWB, and crank shaft installed. Took the truck out for just a few minutes a couple days ago. I seemed to run like normal. Then yesterday I went to the park all ready to burn some nitro. I got it primed, and then really had to crank the ez start a lot to finally get it to start up. proly for about a minute or a little more. got it started, did a few warm up laps around the parking lot. Everything seemed good. Run around in the grass for a few minutes just fine then it stalled. Once again really hard to start. Run for a few mor minutes, and stall. wouldn't start. saw a little bubble of gas around the glow plug. took it out. wiped it off. checked washer. mines flat on both sides, thought someone on here said something the other day about one side having a bit of a curve to it??? anyways, put plug back in, little hard to start but it started. few more minutes of run time then stall. didn't start up. sun was going down so called it a day. whats going on here guys. when it was running it seemed to be doing just fine. but starting it is a pain in the neck. videos i watch show just a little blip of the ezstart and vrooom! not on my revo. Any thoughts here guys??? Engine; new crank case with bearings, new crank shaft, back plate, OWB, ezstart, and new glow plug. Cooling head has some road rash on the top and piston and sleeve have goodness knows how much nitro through it but appear in good shape.

RC Qualifier
    It appears that my revo has many hidden problems. I took the carb apart and cleaned it up. Revo started a little better but didn't really get much run time. It just wouldn't take off like it used to. Read on here and thought it might be the slipper clutch that needed to be tightened. Pulled the 3.3 and well, I just couldn't stop. Ended up taking the back half of the revo apart. Good thing too. found that the screw holding the carb linkage on the motor mount was stripped, the the motor mount itself was broke. And had some seized up wheel bearings. The rear diff looks ok, i guess. very little bit of grease in it. That normal?? I hear you guys talking about diff oils. no oil in it just a little grease. gonna order in a new motor mount and proly a bearing set while im at it. I have new steering knuckles, i was just gonna put them on if i broke one, maybe i'll replace them all anyways. Anything else i should check for while ive got it all apart?? Thanks in advance

RC Champion
    The diffs should have oil in them and greas obn the ring and pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Got the new engine mount in yesterday. Started reassembling everything. Inny, I realized that I hadn't taken the diff all the way apart. There was some diff oil in there. I added some motorkote in there as well. It's a hyper lubricant. Mainly used for trucks and cars, but has many uses. I decided to go ahead and put new axles and knuckles on too. Might have it back together later tonight. not sure yet. Might take the front apart too and replace the axles and knuckles. I think I'm gonna try the lowest suspension settings and see how it handles. It's been at full ride height. Just trying something different.

RC Qualifier
    Wow what difference in adjusting my Revo to the low ride height! This thing corners so much better. Silly rig just kept flipping over before. Been watching some vids and reading some info about tuning. Realizing that factory settings on the carb make my Revo run horribly! Leaned out the LSN and that took care of my bogging down at take off. Still not pulling any wheelies though. Leaned out the HSN and now I'm pulling second gear again. My question is what should it sound like at idle? Took two vids, i'll try posting here soon. I think I might invest in a temp gun seeing as how i have no idea what kind of temps I'm running. After a WOT pass the revs hung a little before dropping down to idle. I'm finally starting to get this... a little

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by honda95freek View Post
    Wow what difference in adjusting my Revo to the low ride height! This thing corners so much better. Silly rig just kept flipping over before. Been watching some vids and reading some info about tuning. Realizing that factory settings on the carb make my Revo run horribly! Leaned out the LSN and that took care of my bogging down at take off. Still not pulling any wheelies though. Leaned out the HSN and now I'm pulling second gear again. My question is what should it sound like at idle? Took two vids, i'll try posting here soon. I think I might invest in a temp gun seeing as how i have no idea what kind of temps I'm running. After a WOT pass the revs hung a little before dropping down to idle. I'm finally starting to get this... a little
    mine revved a bit too. Come to find out my clutch spring was stretched out but i still drove it, then my clutch spring broke, causing my e-clip to fall off, then my clutch bell moved forward and destroyed my slipper assembly
    Last edited by ToXiC MeRv; 05-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    http://youtu.be/Xrx-rk7DcEQ
    http://youtu.be/8WzXthLQQnU
    Last edited by honda95freek; 05-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Two vids of my Revo sitting at idle. First one had the LSN set to factory settings. Didn't have much take off. Bogged down. Second was with the LSN leaned out. Idle seemed high, not sure though. With it leaned out like in the second vid it took off much better. However it still doesn't have enough low end to pull wheelies. Should I lean it out more???

RC Champion
    mine idles low like the first video...so you might need to adjust the idle screw just a tad...like 1/8th of a turn when the lsn is leaned out

RC Qualifier
    Just checked it actually. Took a look at the clutch also. where the spring connects, it was close to the shoe edge. moved it around to the middle. Did a fine tune on the idle gap. Have to test it out later though. Need some sleep before work tonight. I'm just happy its at least taking off, not stalling, and reaching full speed. Just ordered a temp gun also. With what im learning from all you guys and being able to read my temps i should be able to get this rig dialed in. Really glad I've come in contact with you guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast