RC Qualifier

Lipo Discharge Rate

Hey. Im placing a order and found the lipo batteries I want but the discharge rate is what I'm a lil questionable about. I have the stock motor in it for now and planning on going to the dewalt motor soon. I also just got a set of mud slingers and running 12/68 and 16/68 gears. Basically I want to know what discharge rate I should run. I kinda understand how it works but not positively sure.

I myself would get the highest discharge I can that way your covered if you decide on a go fast car later

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

The minimum I'd run is 20C/5000mAH (100A) or 25C/4700mAH (117.5A). But I prefer to run 20C/8000mAH (160A) or 30C/8200mAH (246A).
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    I'm glad to see this asked and answered. I've been searching and have not found a "Rule of Thumb" for choosing LiPo discharge rates.

In keeping with the heart of this thread and not trying to choose one brand over another. I'd like some feedback regarding "bargain" LiPo packs from the other side of the world vs. "name-brand" LiPo's from well known sellers here in the states.

When it comes to cell phone, laptop, watch, and other devices, I've had a lot of success with, NiCd, NiMh, and others from the other side of the world. Both for myself and for customers.

I have ZERO experience with LiPo's of this type, and we've all seen the Youtube videos of smoking and flaming RC cars. My gut tells me to pay the premium, but I also feel if I adhere to all precautions regarding LiPo's I should be just as safe with a "generic/no-name" LiPo.

Please guys, give me your two cents.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Qualifier
    The lipos I found were 5000 2s 20c. There a killer price and have a lot of buddy running them in there rc cars. I just didn't know if I go with the 20 or step up and go with the 30, 40 or higher. Is it going to benefit me to go with the higher discharge rate.

The spc lipos are popular for a reason.
    Reasonable price for quality packs.
    I have been running offshore, if you will packs.
    When used correctly,they are doing fine. Spc has service available
    The far east packs not so much.
    Please do not buy the waaaaay overpriced lipos without doing some research first ....

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Another question is what's the burst . The ones ok looking at is 20c 30c burst.

Also will these batteries fit in my summit. 148 x 49 x 16mm

Does anyone run *******? How are they compared to the other brands out there.
    Last edited by Keila72; 06-11-2012 at 11:40 PM.

I am running one set of ******* 2s 5000mah 30c. They do fine

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    I'm glad to see this asked and answered. I've been searching and have not found a "Rule of Thumb" for choosing LiPo discharge rates.

In keeping with the heart of this thread and not trying to choose one brand over another. I'd like some feedback regarding "bargain" LiPo packs from the other side of the world vs. "name-brand" LiPo's from well known sellers here in the states.

When it comes to cell phone, laptop, watch, and other devices, I've had a lot of success with, NiCd, NiMh, and others from the other side of the world. Both for myself and for customers.

I have ZERO experience with LiPo's of this type, and we've all seen the Youtube videos of smoking and flaming RC cars. I'd pay absolutely no attention to those videos. They are irrelevant since ANY battery can and will be hazardous to your health is abused. My gut tells me to pay the premium, but I also feel if I adhere to all precautions regarding LiPo's I should be just as safe with a "generic/no-name" LiPo. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes the premium far exceeds the benefit, even with some well-known US-based brands. I stick with a brand because of performance, value, and support. I'm not comfortable with brands that are so cheap that "It won't really matter if one is defective." I also know that my battery of choice is rated accurately. After all, I've see a test or two. Since there is no standard for rating LiPos, many of the cheaper brands flat-out lie or use artificially low testing standards. This doesn't help me when I use my packs in the real world.

Please guys, give me your two cents.
    If you look here and here, you'll see multiple Slash 4x4s racing on a concrete-floored track in a weekly informal race series that is affectionately and accurately titled "Smash, Bash & Crash." Here's a starting line pic by "photogrababe":

In the galleries you will see the absolute carnage the drivers are willfully subjecting these vehicles to. You would be amazed if - despite weeks of races - they have yet to have a battery fail, yet it is true. They all use the same brand, just as they all use the same truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    The lipos I found were 5000 2s 20c. There a killer price and have a lot of buddy running them in there rc cars. I just didn't know if I go with the 20 or step up and go with the 30, 40 or higher. Is it going to benefit me to go with the higher discharge rate.
    For my stated minimums, I'd be geared low and run with an LVC set at 3.5 or 3.6 volts per cell. Smaller LiPos with lower continuous discharge ratings tend to have their cells' voltages diverge greater then larger packs with higher C-ratings. This can lead to momentarily over-discharging a cell during large amp draws. The lower gearing minimizes amp draws and the higher LVC stops the cells from getting near the danger zone. You'd be surprised at how little difference in runtime it makes.

I follow KSB in the setting my alarm voltage at 3.5. I figure why stress the packs still get a hour in low give or take
    My minimum is 5000 30c.I have a brushless system as well so that's why I suggest a higher discharge in case you get addicted and have to get more r/c
    And more and more.a fast one, a boat
    Seen it happen

Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I follow KSB in the setting my alarm voltage at 3.5. I figure why stress the packs still get a hour in low give or take
    My minimum is 5000 30c.I have a brushless system as well so that's why I suggest a higher discharge in case you get addicted and have to get more r/c
    And more and more.a fast one, a boat
    Seen it happen

^^^ The man speaks wisely ^^^
    8200s get about 2 hours in low.

RC Qualifier

Can you post the link. I can't seem to find the pics

Also found in post #9. Let's see if these work for you:
    Gallery1
    Gallery2

I am new to the summit and rock crawlers...I am trying to build a summit from my erevo spares. Just to be clear we are talking about 7.4v lipos here?
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-12-2012 at 03:17 AM.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Yeah. 2s lipos

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Keila72 View Post
    There is a reason they have a "killer price," and it's the same reason all the other discount packs have similar C-ratings. I don't care what any of these other guys have to say bragging on some discount brand - once you actually run a high C-rated pack (4-50C or higher), it's about like the difference comparing the stock motor in your truck to a BL motor. Anybody that says there's no difference, just doesn't know.

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    That's some crazy action in the Smash Bash Crash!

Thanks for the info people
    Last edited by Mayberry Kid; 06-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry Kid View Post
    That's some crazy action in the Smash Bash Crash!
    You have no idea!!!

I am the one who labeled our weekly get togethers, "Smash, Bash & Crash" and that name truly fits, however it is a lot of fun. There are many times when I have almost fallen off my stool due to laughing so hard. In the KSB photobucket link, I am the one in the photo sitting on the stool and my Slash is the one painted white/yellow/orange fade near the right side of the photo.