RC poster

Quick question for the masters.

Hey guys, I am thinking of getting a Summit so that i have a little versatility in my collection. I have a 4 year old that wants to play with our other cars but, she cant handle them just yet. I have had to get 2 out of the creek already heh. I would be getting brushless and running 2s, mainly because i have a ton of the batteries and was hoping for something that would work with what i had.

What i am wondering is with the summits gear changes if i run it in low gear for her would there be a problem with over heating? We usually run in grass and gravel, I know the grass causes my other daughters trucks (stadium trucks) a problem. I dont have a problem with my E-maxx anywhere we run, thats what made me think of a summit. All i have read says they are beasts. Summits are much higher so im hoping she can just crawl around in the yard. I do keep the grass cut low because of the drag on the other cars.

I was just wondering what you guys thought. I'm open to getting anything really, I looked at 1/16 scale but they are still fairly quick and i would rather have her learn on something that she can control until she is ready for something faster. Any suggestions on other models, or tips if we do go with the summit would be awesome.

If you get a Summit, I would run the stock Titans/EVX with your daughter in low gear to see how she likes it first. It's not blazing speed by any means but is very fun.

If you insist on going brushless, I wouldn't run it on anything less than 4S. Its a big heavy truck and will need a decent power plant with a low kv motor.

My thoughts here are since you already have an Emaxx and stadium trucks, a Summit would be a good addition. It will add another addicting level of versatility to your collection. The Summit is a fairly robust RC and can take abuse in stock form. The tires are large and ground clearance is tall so it would be a better option to run through fields of tall grass versus a mini summit or stadium truck. You may also find that the Summit drives through creek quite nicely as well.
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

RC poster
    Thanks for the input. I should have been more clear, I was planning on running dual 2s sorry about that. Also I thought about the titan, I just don't really know about care for brushed motors. Brushless makes life easy, I have read you have to clean them to keep them tip top. We clean our trucks after every run and blow them out. I just worry that it would make the process tougher, sometimes they get covered in mud if they are playing by the creek, and i wouldnt want to ruin something.

Quick question for the masters.

Summit in low gear will do 8? mph in low gear with the stock pinion. I always gear mine down anyway so you can get down to about 6 mph. At that speed in short grass I would not expect motor temperatures much over 90F. The Summit is large but as long as there are no child-vehicle collisions, it's a great truck in stock form for the young'uns.
    Adding a brushless system with the attendant speed increases, even for a mild one, is not so much a child-friendly condition.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-04-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    if you add a stock mxl-6s system with the 2200kv motor (e-revo brushless system) the speed of the first gear will be like the second gear in stock brushed form. you could program the truck for e.g. 50% speed but i would stick with brushed for a start. the titan 775 takes a lot of abuse and will last for some time. my almost 4 year old son now is able to control the brushless summit in 1st gear (he does jumps etc ) but only after half a year of daily training on a brushed stampede 4x4 in kids mode and then increasing speed incrementally on the summit. didnt think he could but he wanted to learn to drive.

RC Racer
    My 2-year old ran my Summit on lowgear a couple of times during the last summer. At that point it was stock with NiMh. Later on I ordered Lipos ant I think that made it more punchy If you want it to be slow but run on lipos, just use your lipos

If you look at my thread "My sleeper Summit build", you will see what a brushless sensored summit look like. On 6s it moves like a eRevo, but can still crawl on lowgear thanks to the sensored brushless motor system I do think 4s is more then enough for this truck.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ored-6s-Power)
    Slash 4x4 MMX +2400kv
    Summit MMX + Xerun Sensored

RC Enthusiast
    I can make you a deal on a PINK brushless Summit, 3 months old!
    Xmaxx1- mine
    Xmaxx2- daughters