RC Champion

Keeping LiPo's Dry in Snow

I recently picked up a couple of the Traxxas 7600mAh 2s packs for my E-Revo and will be racing at a friends house this Sunday in the snow. Anybody have any suggestions for keeping the packs dry? I've been thinking about blocking off the battery vent scoops since those have always been the entrance point for snow when running NiMH packs. I'm not worried about the battery temps since it's now only winter, but I'm running a Titan 775 and 12/68 gearing too, so things rarely are able to get up to luke warm.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    12?! That is sooo low. Does you're car putt along? I run 21/68 with the 775

I sprayed both ends, ends only, of my batts with liquid tape. It does a good job of providing a thin waterproof layer of rubber. Try that

I think the wrap they use on the body is water proof.

RC Champion
    The top end isn't fantastic, but it's just enough for this track. The guys I'm running with all have Slashes (only one os a VXL) that are geared 16/90 and we're all pretty close in speed, although I do have the edge in acceleration as well as intimidation factor
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    I ended up blocking the vents with sections of plastic bag for the stock wings, and found out that the track has been lengthened, so I geared up to 17/68 and swapped over to my 3.8" Maxx tires last night. Got out to his house today, plug the batteries in and go to drive it down to the track from his back porch and it kept doing weird things and would only drive normal while going backwards. Suddenly there was that distinctive smell of fried electronics, I pulled the body off and saw traces of smoke coming out from around the cooling fins

Didn't do any racing, but did do a lot of marshaling, smack talking, and rump freezing
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    Was your esc smoking?

RC Champion
    It has just started to when I unplugged it.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Qualifier
    Funny. Mine was smoking just the other week. I had to send it in

You were in the snow too?

RC Champion
    Didn't even get the chance to really throw any snow, I literally put the truck on the ground, and it kinda decided to do what it wanted. I did have a bunch of lights on it and I had them on just long enough to show everybody how they looked then unplugged them for racing. It started doing that after unplugging the lights and turning it back on. It's better than when I had the first set of NiMH packs explode in it while still running the 550's.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Well, got ESC mailed off today and the guy at the counter figured it should be there by monday!
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    Woooo-Hoooo!!!!!!!!

The replacement ESC was waiting for me when I got home from work and the gym!!!!!!! Might be imagining things, but the motor and ESC leads are a good bit longer than I remember the O.E.M. ESC having.
    Aw, Biscuits!