RC poster

Brand new to the site, RC, and the merv

Hey all.. so this is my first actual RC car. Quite fun. Had to get something fast and tough to outrun my 3 german shepherds Currently it is bone stock, but I broke a front bumper, destroyed the body shell, and chewed up the skid plates pretty good, so I've started trying to beef it up a bit. I also put too long of a screw in the rear bulkhead and inadvertently allowed some dirt/sand in the rear differential... so theres a new bulkhead on the way. I was wondering, while I'm cleaning it up and reassembling, any reason I can't put some liquid gasket on there to really seal the bulkheads up? Also, what sort of lubricant can I get away with for the exterior of the differential gears? I've got amsoil racing grease on hand, though thats a bit more viscous than what seems to be on the gears now.

Anyway, This will also serve as my build thread Its stock, so no need for any pictures at the moment lol.

Side note, I have 2 old broken zig zag racer 3 boats I'm now consolidating, repowering, and rebuilding to run off the traxxis link controller I'll include some of that too. The traxxas link is going to be really handy.

-Hunter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    welcome to the forums, sounds like you had a great time with the merv, get a tbone racing full skid plate and bumpes, you can use any automotive grease to lube the ring and pinion, about sealing the gap on the diff why not, just be carefull it doesn't get into the diff.

RC poster
    @RC-Fan - Yeah its been a blast so far. I've already got a set of aluminum skids on the way, some 2S lipos (currently on NiMH).
    Also, my buddy got a Slash 1/10 VXL. I'd like my merv to be faster :P What is the quickest, reliable upgrade to achieve this? New motor and ESC, and if so, which?

i would say to compete with the slash then you would want to go big block castle creastions 1/10 4600kv or 5700kv there's about. if not then get some 3s lipo's or switch out the stock esc for a mamba max pro esc and change the connector's on the stock motor to match the new esc connector size and run 4s--2x2s series some have done that also.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you want to make it faster, without heat issues you have to go with a Big block, castle sidewinder-5700 in a nice setup, also lipos will get you moving faster than nimh, you can get around 50mph out of that system with 3s lipo, also recommend rpm arms.

RC poster
    What is the trade off between going higher kv & lower volts as compared to lower kv and higher volts?
    1/16 E-Revo VXL | CR500AF | Supercharged FJ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    lower kv motor has more torque, but less speed, less heat
    higher kv motor less torque but more speed, more heat.

hope it is right.

same as i thought and been reading on castle site as well for a while. like their 6900/7700kv+ setups are for speed runs and the 4600kv is more for short runs like say 1/4 mile things and the 5700kv is the balance between the 4 setups IMO, you get speed and torque from it good setup.

RC poster
    I was looking at the Castle Neu 1500 series.. I like the idea that they have the option of an internal cooling fan. So should I be looking for a motor in the ~5000kv range?

that is a bit too big for a merv, i think even if you were to fit that somehow it would just snap the chassis in too many pieces. the one's listed in the posts are very good for the merv. you'll need a big block mount though for that. tenbol has one or you can find a new one on ebay from the brushed merv mounts that have the brushed 12t titans in them that would work also.

RC poster
    I got the idea from tenbol.. they have a 1515 on a merv