RC poster

New Rustler XL-5 & VXL What type of batteries?

My son and I got new rustlers for Christmas which we love by the way. He has the Brushed XL-5 and I have a Brushless VXL. I purchased a Onyx 245 charger and Onyx 100 charger and would like to convert overt to lipo batteries for the both of us now.

I am looking to get 3 new batteries right now. 2 2s lipo and 1 3s lipo. I know that the VXL can run 3S however I will probably stick to the 2S batteries most of the time which is why I would like 2 of the 2S batteries.

My LHS told me that the XL-5 can handle a 2S lipo as long as I don't run it the full length of the battery and make sure that the Low Voltage Detection is turned on at all times when using the lipo. Is that correct?

What are some good quality lipo batteries that are not too costly and would be able to work in both the XL-5 and VXL.

Thanks in advance!

Yes the XL-5 can handle 2s lipos and sicne the newer ones have a low voltage detection built in you are all set and should have no issues running a 2s pack

Lot of chices for lipos I personally prefer the SPC LIPOS.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Thanks! Just bought 3 SPC batteries. Kept hearing good things about them.

I ordered

X2 - SPC5025HC-2S1P] SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Hard Case Battery Pack; 5000mAh, 25C, 2S, 7.4V(Traxxas Connector)

X1 - [SPC5025-3S1P] SPC Li-Po Power, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery Pack; 5000mAh, 25C, 3S, 11.1V(Traxxas Connector)

Now I just need to read up on how to properly charge the lipo's with my onyx 245.

I have a new addiction!!

Now I just need to read up on how to properly charge the lipo's with my onyx 245.
    The packs will come with instructions and if you have any issues Tom from SPC provides very good support of his products. He has taught me more about lipos than anyone.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Cool thanks! Have a great day and Happy New Year!

Dad you broke the rules
    But for a good purpose, so I wont press charges.
    SPC packs are awesome.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Dad you broke the rules
    But for a good purpose, so I wont press charges.
    SPC packs are awesome.
    LOL I was wondering who would call me on that first....the rule has recently been changed...

11. Linking to online retailers. Posting links to online retailers is permitted ONLY as a means of identifying a product or part so users can better understand which part(s) you use or recommend. If you are identifying a Traxxas part, link to www.buytraxxas.com to identify it. Links to promotions or contests are not permitted. Linking to online stores solely for the purpose of indicating where to find the lowest price is not permitted and is not the purpose of this forum. Note: Traxxas does not permit links to certain retailers. Links to these retailers will appear starred-out. Review your post and delete any starred out links. Updated 12/30/2011
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    LOL I was wondering who would call me on that first....the rule has recently been changed...
    Cool to mention about the changed rule. Good change. Go Traxxas! And go Dad
    Nobody is born with experience