RC Competitor

cant keep her straight

what do i need to adjust?

i have the slash 4x4 with the vxl kit.. and im running a lipo 11.1 5400mah battery... she is pretty quick.

the problem im having right now is she stays straight thru 75 percent of the throttle... but when shes pinned.. she vears off to the right.

for the record.. im on asphalt.

thanks

and yes... ive adjusted the steering trim.

it stays straight till i got it pinned.... then it vears off.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-30-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    The Slash 4x4 does have a weak servo saver that can cause it to not track straight. Could also be too light of diff fluid in your diffs.

RC Competitor
    i will look into both.. thank you for the reply

RC Qualifier
    The loose servo saver will usually make the truck pull both left and right. I have seen people fix this by glueing the servo saver together. The STRC aluminum bellcrank has an adjustable tension.

If it is only pulling while accelerating, then it is probably your diff. The rear diff comes with grease stock, which does little to slow the action of the diff. You may want to look into getting some thicker diff fluid for the rear.

RC Competitor
    ill get the diff oil changed out tomrrow. do you have a oil preference/suggestion?

If I'm not mistaken, I have 30,000 in my rear diff. 50,000 in the front.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Qualifier
    Any other tips to changing fluid? I am having the same problem when doing speed runs.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Qualifier
    Heavier diff fluid will slow the diff action and put more power to both wheels, but the truck will not turn very well. If you are only doing speed runs then that shouldn't matter.

RC Enthusiast
    Are the tires growing? What tires are you running?

RC Qualifier
    accidently when i was changing out the diff fluid i grabbed the 100k instead of the 50k and didn't realize till a month later when i read
    A post about keeping the truck straight at high speeds and thought to myself hey i wonder why i don't have that problem checked the bottle
    Of diff fluid and relized i put 100k instead of 50k. also this is when i had the traxxas system in the slash and even now i don't have the
    Problem of pulling left or pulling right at high speeds and i have been running the MMP 2400..
    BASH!! BASH!! BASH!! & BASH IT AGAIN!! <CAGE RAGE>

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by linn View Post

I would actually check this first

When I started running 3s, my first set of worn stock tires wouldn't expand evenly at WOT, causing it to veer off in one direction every time I gave it the beans

The problem reduced when I rotated and complete went away when I got fresh rubber

RC Qualifier
    Black Traxxas sway bars helps out a lot
    4x4 Slash 5.5 Big Block

RC Champion
    Adding some front toe in will assist in keeping it straight under power

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Enthusiast
    My Slash is very stable at 60+ and it will take a few changes to get yours that way as well. First, get tires that do not grow. I recommend Ofna belted tires as I run them on my Slash for a street tire with 17mm wheels. You can run any tire as long as they do not grow. The smaller the side wall the better they will be at higher speeds.

If you are using the stock tires to go fast, you need to keep in mind they are "off road" tires and one side has a ticker sideway than the other.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by linn View Post
    I am running the stock tires. i didn't notice the problem when i was using the stock battery. but when the lipo get in there.. the problem is exaggerated for sure. ill get some better tires tomorrow. im sure im going to need em. i plan on adding a lot more power to this thing this week.

anyone have any tire suggestions. i only plan on running this thing in the wide open... on ashpault and the occasional off road terrain like the short course at the local hobby shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    I would actually check this first

When I started running 3s, my first set of worn stock tires wouldn't expand evenly at WOT, causing it to veer off in one direction every time I gave it the beans

The problem reduced when I rotated and complete went away when I got fresh rubber
    nice... what kind of tires did you get?

great info guys.. thanks a bunch.. i have my work cut out for me this week. i need to change out the differential oil, get new tires, get some sway bars.. and then drop in the A Mamba Monster Motor.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-01-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Competitor
    is there a brand or a tire that you guys could recommend for me that would help me with the expanding problem?

i will be on hard pack dirt and pavement for the most part. very little off road.. maybe through the leaves and some little grass at the local middle school ... but thats it.

i just ordered my CC 2650 too.

RC Enthusiast
    Look at a tire that has belts in them or a foam tire.

RC Enthusiast
    This probably will not really help but, my slash was doing the same thing. oddly enough when tearing down my front end i found a bearing that was nearly seized up in the hub carrier. Soaked it in zippo fuel, put it on a pen and slowly turned it with my pliers until it freed up. lubed it, popped it back in and all was good. sounds odd but im quite good with bearing maintenance ( championship yoyoer) and know how a bad one can effect different things. The bearing was not allowing full rotation and causing drag which caused it to veer to one side.

RC Racer
    im not trying to steal the thread but i gotta ? does the diff come apart so that u can get the stock grease out or is it not needed to get it out.

RC Competitor
    Steal away... I need to know how to crack it open myself. I have yet to swap my stock grease for the 30K I picked up.

RC Qualifier
    It's all I'm the manual that comes with the truck. Remove the bumper, then remove the diff cover. Pull the diff out. Then you have to remove the 3 screws that seal the diff. Open it up and remove the spider gears. Be sure to remove all the old grease. I like to use motor spray and some q-tips. Refill about halfway, screw it all back together. You should be able to tighten the screws all the way down without binding. Some people back them off slightly, but I have found that makes my diff leak.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbigvince View Post
    is there a brand or a tire that you guys could recommend for me that would help me with the expanding problem?

i will be on hard pack dirt and pavement for the most part. very little off road.. maybe through the leaves and some little grass at the local middle school ... but thats it.

i just ordered my CC 2650 too.
    Thanks for posting this, I am interested in a tire that can handle 70+ mph on the street too

The Dynamite Robbers are doing the job quite well for me! Here is a video running on them!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2718564...in/photostream
    Last edited by El Sob; 01-20-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL