RC Enthusiast

Body and Plastic thread repairs

Hi all. My son and I have had our Slashes for about 1 month. Mine was used his was new so there are some slight differences but both have the brushles motors although I don't know if mine was originally a VXL.

After some serious newbie bashing and track time at Mikes in Carrolton, we have all but destroyed our bodies. The best thing I have found to reinforce or repair the body is clear packing tape. Is there anything better that I can do?

We have replaced a lot of parts and in some cases over tightened screws into the plastic. Both black plastic and the gray. Are there any tricks to repairing the threads in the plastic parts before replacing the part?

Having a lot of fun and trying to keep the costs down. The boy has to pay for his own repairs.

mike

RC Champion
    I have a body repair thread that might help.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-Easy-Body-Fix...

RC Champion
    Good topic for obvious reasons LOL Doesn't take long when it is freezing cold out to split a body after some hard impacts!

My untried plan is to use some screen protectors for an iPad that were bought cheap $2 for 2 and used some clear silicone caulking. That makes for a good flexible adhesive and I believe the screen protectors to be very durable in the flex department too. Unproven but that is my plan to try out very soon!

RC Champion
    Try the pop bottle its the same thickness as a proline body....

RC Racer
    As for strip'd threads ! Go with a longer bolt and put a nut on the backside ! Or use a lager dia bolt or use something like a wood screw with the larger threads !

RC Racer
    I've been using loctite super glue and it holds like new

RC Champion
    And if you cant get a bolt on the end try dipping the threads in loctite thread sealer (the white kind) , it builds its own threads and will make the screw tight.

RC Racer
    One of the little things I did !

RC poster
    This also works and I feel is easier to do to fix an RC body. I've done this and it's been holding up great!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTe-mLX8pmI

RC Qualifier
    i do simular deal as the video but I use gorilla tape as its super thick and easy to deal with.

I also use the foam rings with adhesive for all my bodies and only use the white plastic spacers on the ones that will fit...usually thinner bodies like stock body.

I want that STi body in his Video! Love me my STi's!
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lespaul02 View Post
    I've been using loctite super glue and it holds like new
    How do you use the super glue? I have tried dripping glue on the hole then threading in a screw to snug but not tight. I have not tried backing out the screw or tightening it since.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm going to give the Shoe Goo fix. I have all the parts and it looks like a solid fix.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Lets start by finding out why the plastic is stripping. Either the screws have been installed and removed a bazillion times, or they are just being overtightened. You do not have to crank them down like your putting a tire on a car. Be a little easier when you feel them start to tighten up.
    Now for the fix. You are doing it right.
    I just add super glue to the hole and do as you did. After a couple of min, give the screws another 1/4 turn, or until the countersunk screws are flush with the surrounding material. If it happens again, just use a drop of glue again. I have a 5 year old shock tower that has been fixed where the shock mounts are about 5 times and the shock mount shoulder bolts never back out. Seems that constantly removing the shocks for maintenance is bad for those threads.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tip rag. I know how they got stripped. We are working on that. I once heard a 12 year old could break an anvil if you gave him a ball peen hammer. I know it's true.