RC Racer

Traxxas 5446G Exo-Carbon Wing Revo / paint peeling

I was a bit dissapointed with the quality of the Exo-Carbon Wing paint work as it seems to just peel off with even minor flexes wont be long until it looks just like the stock black plastic wing. I didnt buy the wing to sit on a vehicle never to be used. I would have at least liked a few runs where i could grind the paint down to the base material but chipping and peeling off when it is flexed does not seem to be a fit for purpose finish. I have painted bodies that i have massively stacked and dented and the paint does not peel off inside the shell.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    so what is the issue? it is a finish applied to the outside..... if your body was painted on the outside, it would get chipped off easily, so comparing the 2 is apples to oranges.....

Doesn't look as though it was scratched off via topside sliding. I'd be pretty bummed out, too, if that was just from minor flex.
    Good times don't just happen.

RC Champion
    Mine is pretty much all gone.

RC Racer
    I just thought it was interesting that you could twist or flex a wing with minor force and the paint falls off, still does not seem durable to me. i could understand if the paint started to peel from an impact point but as you can see there are no dents where the paint has a leading edge to peel from. Also If i placed my finger on a painted surface say the large flat surface of top of the wing and pushed with pressure you can see the paint start to move and delaminate from the parent surface, personally i think it is bad pre treatment of the base material. I think i will strip the paint off and add carbon vinyl film. Its just annoying to spend the extra dosh on a carbon finish and one run around the block it falls off. Live and learn.

RC Champion
    Actually, there just isn't enough flex in the finish.