RC Enthusiast

Buy a roller or a decent used XO-1?

I'm going to look at a nice XO1 on craigslist tomorrow, and I have a few questions. First, I'm one of those guys that rebuilds everything. Can't help it. That said, the XO seems to be pretty finished IMO. I've looked around and there doesn't seem to be much of an aftermarket for them. I saw an XO on youtube with RPM arms but I haven't even found those anywhere. Is there many places for aftermarket parts or is it such a niche that you live with what you have?

Second, I like to buy new rollers since I rebuild them anyway, but again I haven't seen aftermarket options and the stock drivetrain seems to already be enough to too much. I also already have a Futaba 4PL and RX. Although, the GPS tracking on the TQi with the iphone app looks pretty cool.

So I'm torn. Buy a RTR or a roller. Now that I've typed this out, I'm leaning toward the RTR, but I need y'alls opinions because I don't know the XO-1 world.

Here's the add I'm looking at. There's a couple others that are cheaper (400(he bought it used) and 500) this one looks clean and unmolested. Maybe it's just the clean black body that's speaking to me. :thumbsup

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tag/5378630673.html

RC Champion
    First, I'm one of those guys that rebuilds everything.
    Everything? I think what you really mean is "almost everything". Cuz, I know you don't rebuild things like deodorant bottle roller balls, fingernail clippers, eyewash stations, ice cube makers, etc, ect...see what I mean? (just giving you a hard time)

Anyway, looking at that price, I'd buy new (RTR). That add is not a very good deal, IMO. You are right, there isn't a big after market for the XO-1, but its' a great car. The only after market stuff for the XO that's worth mentioning is: Kershaw Designs, and Killer Body. I get things from both, and have been very happy with what I've gotten.

I'd run the TQi with its' telemetry. Traxxas did a very nice job with it...and, it's also reasonably priced. I did a lot of research before I took the telemetry leap, and Traxxas does it the best, the cheapest, and it's the easiest to use.
    I have great respect for girls in string bikini's.

RC Enthusiast
    I would go with a roller. Wish I did. Fyi don't put rpm arms on your xo1. The plastic is a lot softer and will warp from the pressure of the gtr shocks.. that being said. Roller fornsure. Get the xl2 or xlx esc and any motor ofnyournchoice. It really depends what your plans are for the xo1. Ask questions.I will answer my friend

Revo green shocks. 80 weight shock oil. Change rear diff oil to 30k weight. Sway bars.gyro.servo. just to name a few things to do. I really wish I would have bought a roller. Could have saved a couple hundred dollars
    Last edited by Double G; 01-10-2016 at 10:56 AM. Reason: merge, use the edit button to add more information to your post rather than making a subsequent one

RC Competitor
    I would personally go down the new roller route, just so that you aren't dealing with anyone elses potential repairs, then you know the condition of the car, plus you can build it exactly how you want it. In terms of parts, a lot of parts are shared with the slash/e-revo/e-maxx, so things like shock caps, spring retainers, spring adjusters, diff cases and a-arms are all available in alloy if you really want to strengthen things up a bit.

A great reference post here is https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...Worth-Building

That should give you an idea of what you can do, and what parts are available etc. Whatever you decide, i'm sure you'll enjoy it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    ...The only after market stuff for the XO that's worth mentioning is: Kershaw Designs, and Killer Body. I get things from both, and have been very happy with what I've gotten...
    Also, High Gear RC for ESC mounts, drag links, Leopard motor mounts, etc.

http://www.highgearrc.com/

Also, I would buy a brand new XO-1 if I were you. Then you always have a backup motor and ESC if you decide to upgrade and can use it when you want to drive slower than 100. I wouldn't want to waste wear on a bigger setup just for low speed fun.
    Last edited by drivejumpfly; 01-10-2016 at 11:23 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    yeah. Thanks for all the replies! I need the info on the direction and resources.

Anyway, I ended up finding another XO and made a combo deal with a mini E-Revo. I got both for $500 after some haggling. Which I think was a pretty good deal. I'm building a 1/10 Revo, but I have wanted a mini for a while.

I LOOOOOOOVE the XO!!! I had a small chance to play with it tonight in the ally behind our house and just speed is a blast! I have to admit that the twichy steering got me and I put it into a wall. Not at full speed but enough to crack the front chassis piece. So that's getting ordered tonight as well as some of the other things suggested in this thread. Out of all my vehicles, this thing is the twinkle in my eye. I'm giggling as I type this... lol

I don't really know the direction of this build. The highest weight shock oil I have is 60w so I'll have to order some 80w. She also needs a new body. She has the red body, but the previous owner bunged it up pretty good in his closet. I live next to an abandoned Naval base that has a flight line. Should be perfect for some awesome speed runs!!! I just want it fast, lean (light weight), and sexy. The trailer queen that she deserves to be.

*Watch the language!*
    Last edited by Double G; 01-11-2016 at 08:25 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm probably going to order a RX for my 4PL and set up the telemetry off of that. The Traxxas telemetry system is badass and I love the way the app works. BUT I don't have the old iphone to word the the TX and the Traxxas TX just feel cheap to me. If I want GPS, I'll use my phone or something.

Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm open to suggestions.

RC Enthusiast
    In hindsight, the front could've already been cracked. I didn't inspect it that close and me bumping the wall could've just shifted the crack to where it was obvious. IDK

RC Enthusiast
    NVM.... Futaba has GPS... It's just $175. hahahahahaha

found answerrr,
    Last edited by rtmike; 01-12-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: found answer

RC Qualifier
    I'm in same boat as op not to thread jack

But I can buy a roller no esc or motor no remote or rec n the servo missing
    Decent deal 260 cdn
    But my problem is
    I can't find a motor n esc for cheap specially with the cdn dollar being so crappy

Lmk what u guys think sorry to thread jack op

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, after buying this used XO here are my thoughts. Keep in mind this is my person opinion based on my person experiences.

I would buy a roller if I could do it over again. I'm starting to find some issues with my used XO, but these are obvious issues that could've been caught by a more experienced hobbyist. It also has dirt and grime in places that would require me to completely break it down to clean. The guy said he bought it brand new, and only drove it a handful of times and no more than 5 minutes per run. I have to call BS on that given what I'm seeing now. BUT, I'm not too worried about it because I got such a good deal, IMO. After I figure up the extra batteries, which I've tested and balanced, and the 1/16 E-Revo I got in the deal, I figure I only paid around $300 for the XO. Which is about where I'd be after a motor, ESC, servo, and radio purchase. So I plan on buying another roller, and swapping the electronics over, while upgrading at the same time. This will leave me with spare parts in the bin for future issues. After all this, I'll only have $600 in it, and I'm okay with that.

So I say start with a new roller. It'll be clean, and you can go any direction with it. And you know the history.

DIRT AND GRIME...

LEAKING DIFFS...

TORN BOOTS...

RC Qualifier
    The diffs leak often. That's the price you pay when you buy them used. I still like buying brand new ones and going from there. New rollers these days are above $240 on ebay and you have to be careful when you buy them because the definitions of a roller vary.

RC Champion
    I'd buy a new roller if I didn't want the stock electronics, but I have always liked the Castle stuff.
    I have great respect for girls in string bikini's.

RC Qualifier
    I have a decent roller for sale if anyone interested