Thread: XO-1 tires!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

XO-1 tires!

Well the mods decided that we shouldn't talk about the XO's tire technology and how it could be applied to other high performance models in the XO thread.

So lets come over here.

Hey Traxxas! How is it you aknowledge the need for a high performance belted tire on the XO1, but still supply a truck like the ERBE with tissue paper tires?

I'm staring at my ERBE box right now, I mistakenly said it claimed 70 mph, its only 65 mph.

Still.... 65? On a ERBE? Ok but not with the stock tires. Not by a long shot.

I'm still hopeful a Traxxas employee will try a ERBE on 6s with stock tires... Then maybe talk to the tire engineer.

RC Racer
    I'm with you someone needs to make a belted MT/Truggy tire.

Belted tires aren't anything new to the RC market.

If you wanted to get a set of slicks maybe a set of 1/4 or 1/5 scale road car tires would work.

But what would be new is a set of off road truggy/mt tires that were belted. I think there are some belted 1/8 buggy tires out there.

RC Qualifier
    I would love to see belted monster truck tires. Whoever makes them first is gonna make a lotta green stuff. lol

VP Pro makes belted buggy tires, so its not a new concept.

RC Champion
    The belted tires on this XO1 is what really suprised me. Kudos on making a GREAT tire... finally. I hope to run these on the ERBE.

We all know that the talons have great tread design for on and off road... and we also all know that they have a horrible track record of busting at high speeds.

Listen to us here traxxas. We know what we want. We want offroad lightweight belted tires for the ERBE!!!
    Last edited by anr2442; 12-02-2011 at 06:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Proline is pretty good about responding to demand.

But if you ask them anything they will usually tell you they have no plans on making such parts.

They said that to me about:
    Low profile badlands, now the sell them.
    Offset 17mm adapters for doing buggy to truggy conversions, those made it to market.
    Offset 17mm adapters for converting non 17mm trucks, now they sell them.
    Light weight MT/Truggy wheels, now they sell them. (This was before anyone made a truggy, only conversions were available)

RC Champion
    Great Thread, how about the dude with the slow motion video of the tire blowing up, that's kinda right to the point, live in color. I think what was just said about PL is spot on, they'll be all over it, I'm going to drop them a friendly email, I got plenty of their products, lol I'll send pics with it. Can't hurt.
    15 IS Enough, Time to thin down the fleet some.

RC Qualifier
    Ben is correct. I called them one year and spoke to one of their "tech" people about making a Badlands LPR. I told him how popular it was to run Badland MTs on Half-ups/LPR wheels. He said he had no idea of the trend and that Proline had no plans to make a new Badland. Regardless, Proline is my favorite tire/wheel mfg and I think its wise if a bunch of us dropped them a friendly note about a market they could totally own.

RC Champion
    I also sent them a message about low profile badlands around the same time yall must have. Well I think that's gotta be more than coincidence that they listened to all of us. Hopefully traxxas will follow suit and give PL some competition!

RC Racer
    I agree 100% with Ducati777. I have blown 2 of those paper thin ERBE junk tires at top speed....and the handling was so sketchy because the tires ballooned terribly. It probably is not reasonable for Traxxas to imply ERBE is a 65mph vehicle out of the box. Because the tires blow apart when kept at that speed for long. The tires are BY FAR the limiting factor with the stock ERBE when it comes to top speed.

Ever since I bought my ERBE, I have struggled with finding a tire combo that can hold up and handle very well without balloning to moon or blowing apart. I think it will be neat to see if the new XO-1 belted tires work on the ERBE on the street.

RC Qualifier
    The XO-1 tires may be a bit too short for the ERBE - they are 4.29" tall. You may be able to gear accordingly.
    I have some new taped 40 Series Road Rages - we'll see how they hold up to the ERBE.

RC Qualifier
    It's not great but why not tape? It's something and has gotten everyone by vs. just blowing up your tires over and over again. With that said I would be interested in belted tires also and others have been asking proline for years, hasn't happened yet..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by padrino View Post
    It's not great but why not tape? It's something and has gotten everyone by vs. just blowing up your tires over and over again. With that said I would be interested in belted tires also and others have been asking proline for years, hasn't happened yet..
    I am not sure why, but I have had terrible luck taping tires. I have tried all kinds of tape, prepping methods...but evenually the tape gets all gooey and lets go.... I think belted MT tires would sell like hotcakes!

RC Champion
    A belted MT tire would be something new.

Padrino: That would require extra effort and knowledge to tape your own tires correctly

Will the XO tires mount on other non-splined wheels?
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 12-04-2011 at 02:43 PM.