RC Enthusiast

3s lipo vs 12cell nimh

Hello everyone. I just recently picked up a used merv, and have decided to keep this one stock. I was wondering however, what the best battery setup would be. So, which do you think has more power, two 6 cell nimhs in series, or a 3s lipo?
    Thanks
    TheFridge

Go with lipo and you won't go back.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I understand that overall lipo is better, however I already have two 6 cell nimhs and the series connector, and I want this truck to be a no worries total basher. Wouldnt the nimhs give more power because of the extra volts? 11.1v vs 14.4v

RC Enthusiast
    I personally have never done lipo and have always wondered? Is lipo really high maintenance?

RC Enthusiast
    But the better run time with lipo so from a bashing stand point run time is better in my opinion

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.001891,-87.555704

RC Champion
    Will lipos increase the speed of a brushed motor ?

RC Qualifier
    3S lipo is faster than two nimh's in series.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zoraduntov View Post
    Will lipos increase the speed of a brushed motor ?
    i wouldnt run lipo on a brushed motor... it will break get a bl system
    Summit. MM 2200kv
    E-Revo VXL CVD's

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnider89 View Post
    I personally have never done lipo and have always wondered? Is lipo really high maintenance?
    No it is not the only thing i woyuld worry about is punctering them and charging them wrong. I would get a balance charger for that it can also charge nimh nicd lb and life and lion ( this is the thunder ac6 )
    Summit. MM 2200kv
    E-Revo VXL CVD's

For reliable "stock" bashing 2S LiPo or stock 6 cell in parallel is the way to go.
    Even then you are going to need upgrades to be "a no worries total basher"

There is no way that the MERV will hold up to 3S or 6 cell NiMh in series since you "decided to keep this one stock"
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    I guess I don;t bash very hard then because my MERV with the big block version has been broken about 3-4 times haha. What I mean by no worry basher is I don;t wan't to have to worry about expensive lipos burning my garage down and things like that. I just want plug in the charger, wait for them to charge, plug in and drive through anything like mud, water, etc. I basicly want this car to be the opposite of all my other vehicles. Everytime I drive my other rc's I always worry about the super expensive electronics breaking. I dont care so much about fixing parts, as think I am compitent at fixing chassis type things with these rc's. Also, I would have to go out and buy a 3s lipo for this little guy. So does the lipo really give like and night and day performance difference?
    Thanks
    TheFridge

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefridge189 View Post
    I would have to go out and buy a 3s lipo for this little guy. So does the lipo really give like and night and day performance difference?
    Thanks
    TheFridge
    Yes. It really does. I have 5 traxxas 1/16 vehicles, I run 2s and 3s lipos in all of them, even the 2 stock ones. I also have 8 stock nimh batteries, and 3 aftermarket nimh batters, and a series connector, that have all been sitting around for over a year now, completely unused. I really wish I wouldn't have wasted the money on the nimh batts, especially since now that I already have the charger, lipos are cheaper.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by summitracer View Post
    i wouldnt run lipo on a brushed motor... it will break get a bl system
    A 2S LiPo will work fine with a brushed motor.

RC Qualifier
    Which 3S Lipo to get? as far as battery specs...? 20c or 45c? 1500mah or 1750 mah? 11.v linked in parrelel mode for longest run times? Which battery pack will provide close to the series 14.4v setup I have now but last much longer? I heard you can run these things for like 45mins on one charge with certain lipo batts...which batts would those be?
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    A 2S LiPo will work fine with a brushed motor.
    OT: but it will work you just need a low voltage alarm or cutoff as the brushed ESCs do not have that. (At least mine didnt)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
    Which 3S Lipo to get? as far as battery specs...? 20c or 45c? 1500mah or 1750 mah? 11.v linked in parrelel mode for longest run times? Which battery pack will provide close to the series 14.4v setup I have now but last much longer? I heard you can run these things for like 45mins on one charge with certain lipo batts...which batts would those be?

3s 1800mah are the largest that will fit, common sizes range from 1100mah to 1800mah

With 1800s in parallel you will get between 20 - 45 minutes depending on use and driving style

20c packs are fine for the stock motor / esc

If you are planning a motor upgrade at a later stage you may need to look at higher rated packs

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    Thank You Crusey... Can the stock VXL/ESC handle anything more than 20c? I found deal on a 45c batt that may fit so I'm wondering.

Also, do you need a balancer and a charger? do you charge the batt then balance it afterwards or something?
    'Life is for living, not living uptight'

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Thefridge189 View Post
    Wouldnt the nimhs give more power because of the extra volts? 11.1v vs 14.4v
    Static voltage is not as important as voltage under load. NiMH batteries can't deliver current like LiPo can. If the ESC is asking for more current than the battery can deliver then the voltage supplied will drop. A 7.4V LiPo will maintain its voltage, theoretically, all the way to maximum current output. Like other have said, I have multiple NiMH batteries that sit on a shelf now except for an occasional run just to try to keep them from getting stale(if that actually happens).

I spent $115 for my balancing charger and about $20 per battery for 2200-25C-2S batteries. This charger is used for everything from my lawn mower and SeaDoo batteries to the tiny little battery for my micro RC airplane. I actually messed up and forgot to set the charger back to 1S for the tiny battery and it gave me a warning to check the battery before it attempted to destroy it by charging a a 2S voltage. Chargers have come a long way from the ones I used to use that were no more than a voltage recitifier and regulator with a timer.

Also, I can charge these 2200Mah packs in about the same time that I can charge the old pack at recommended amp rates. I detect zero temp increase while charging the lipos but a substantial increase near the end of charge on the old ones.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RallySoob View Post
    Thank You Crusey... Can the stock VXL/ESC handle anything more than 20c? I found deal on a 45c batt that may fit so I'm wondering.

Also, do you need a balancer and a charger? do you charge the batt then balance it afterwards or something?

Motor will only draw what it needs from your batteries

Higher discharge 'c' rated batteries simply hold a slightly higher voltage under load

Its a case of diminishing returns however if your motor is happy with 20c packs

You may see a small speed increase for a lot of money

You should have a charger that always balances

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Enthusiast
    Well that's good to know. Jut got my merv vxl and am really considering going lipo. Prolly could pick up a good charger and batts from hobby partz?
    emaxx 3903

RC Racer
    Ok so I have been reading this thread about batteries. He is running a brushed motor. Im going to purchase a merv next weekend, and it comes with a Series 1 Power Cell Battery 1200 mah 7.4v. Do I buy a lipo right away or another 1200 power cell battery? Im a pure basher and speed isnt a huge thing, 30+ is good enough for me. More is always more fun yes but im mainly looking for run time. so what do I get guys? Thanks. Whats a good 45 min charger for these nimh batteries?

If you are going to go LiPo, purchasing another NiMh is a waste of money.
    Once you go LiPo, your NiMh will collect dust.

The way I understand your post, someone you know is running a brushed motor set up and you are getting a brushless set up. Correct? I hope this is true, because my experience with a XL2.5 and LiPo ended up in smoke.

Here is my set up, just to give you an idea:
    Steel hollow balls to reduce slop
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I have HR but recommend GPM)
    ******* 390 servo because the stock is known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners because RPM arms hardly ever break
    Center differential upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C ***** LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.
    Also, I cannot even remember the last time I walked away broke.

This is my charging set up:
    I can safely charge all of my batteries in about an hour; this means I charge for 1 hour and play for 3... unless I charge while I play, then playtime is endless!

6 2200mah 2S 20C *****'s. Other favorites are SPC and the new ********'s.
    1 Parallel harness with XT60's for the battery side and TRX for the ESC side.
    1 XT60 ParaBoard
    1 iCharger 206B
    1 Home made 24v 75a power supply
    Last edited by JimmyNeutron; 01-12-2012 at 09:25 PM.

RC Racer
    I am interested in Lipo but I know nothing about it. Im pretty much just looking for a setup to go 30+but long run times. Too high of speed and you're just doing burnouts and back flips. So with your lipo setup, you got 30+ plus and get an hour run time per battery and im guessing you have 6 batteries. I like what you all have and it sounds like it really works. I'll have to look into everything you listed for a cost and go from there. My last 2 questions is there nimh batteries that allow 30+ and long run times for the merv? Couple good lipo charger/balancers? Hyperion a good buy from maxamps?
    Last edited by Nkracl; 01-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.

RC Racer
    those batteries are super cheap so why not buy them. Looks like by all the comments they are really good for the merv. and you said they are also.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 01-19-2012 at 07:47 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i got 2 great 2s lipos from spc and a thunder a6 charger from hobbypartz.com for under $100 shipped

RC Racer
    does that thunder a6 charger balance too? is it like the hyperion and all ready to go? Nothing else needed to run it?

RC Racer
    is the radient primal charger a good charger? local hobbytown says its a good buy for the price. it charges and balances. does anyone have personal experience with this charger charging lipos?

RC Champion
    its the other way around fast machine. running stock gear and two nimhs in series on the 1/16 clocks about 50 and one 3s clocks about 45 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by GULLY View Post
    its the other way around fast machine. running stock gear and two nimhs in series on the 1/16 clocks about 50 and one 3s clocks about 45 mph.
    That may be so for the first few minutes of the run.

Lets test that theory after 10 minutes of running.