Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    RC poster

The Voice of Reason

Greetings All,

I understand some of you are unhappy about the iDevice, and some of the statements make sense to me.
    1. However, if they made software compatible with Android and iOS, then some of the Blackberry, Palm, or other smart phone customers would be complaining. Not everyone would be happy.
    2. You probably aren't seeing the gas mileage promised in your full-size vehicle. Have you boycotted all the car manufacturers? Maybe you have or maybe you haven't. I don't know.
    3. Whether you are self-employed or work for someone else, they are very interested in making money. Otherwise, we would not have half of the luxuries that we have now (including the r/c cars that we currently own). In addition, they can't please everyone, but they are satisfying quite a few people, otherwise they wouldn't make enough money to keep their doors open. Traxxas is no different.
    4. Iím guessing, because I donít know how your job works, but if a group of customers that buy your company's products or use your company's services complain about a particular package or the way something is marketed, does your company always change it?
    5. More than likely, you have purchased something else that has required you to do something to it, in order to reach its fullest potential, whether it's another battery pack, a gear, tires, or a product not r/c related (i.e. like buying an extra component for a gaming console)
    6. Like it or not, Traxxas has already decided on how they are going to market and package the XO-1 and every other vehicle they sell. However, no one is stopping you from creating your own company, which you can market and package products how you see fit. You could also prove to Traxxas that you can do a better job than their current engineering and design staff, and maybe they will hire you.
    7. An iDevice is a problem to unlock the full speed of the XO-1, but needing a computer to fully program any Castle ESC doesnít seem to be a problem, and you can only use the Windows OS. Even though not everyone has a computer, Castle doesnít seem to have a problem selling its brushless systems.
    8. Whereís the love? There are some posts that are negative, but I would just think that you would have at least one good thing to say. After all, you are on a Traxxas forum, so you must like something about them, right?
    9. Perhaps the XO-1 is a platform that is to be used in other vehicles (like other r/c car and full-size car companies do). Maybe even the vehicle you were hoping for, but with an Android app this time. If that is the case, with the way things are going on this forum that proposed new vehicle may never see the light of day.
    10. Complaining (I didnít say voicing your opinion), slamming, etc. the iDevice option, or anything else, is probably not the best way to convince Traxxas, or anybody, to change their mind.
    11. Frustration aside, letís be happy that with this economy we still have this hobby, can afford to continue to bash and/or race, and have companies that continue to bring us new and innovative products, even if itís not what you want at the time.

I do not like the iPhone BC I find the screen to be lower resolution and smaller then most att android phones. Plus they are heavy. But the more I play with my gf iPhone the more I like it. But it does feel limited.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Not gonna touch the whole I phone, ipod topic as im hoping there will eventually be a castle link update or a stand alone version of the new mamba monster which doesn't require an i device to fully appreciate. And if not I'll bother a friend with an i device to help unlock it. Nothing against the new transmitter but I love my Futaba.
    Last edited by slowenuff; 12-06-2011 at 02:19 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    I do not like the iPhone BC I find the screen to be lower resolution and smaller then most att android phones. Plus they are heavy. But the more I play with my gf iPhone the more I like it. But it does feel limited.
    What? The retina display is the highest res on the market.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rchaven View Post
    Greetings All,

I understand some of you are unhappy about the iDevice, and some of the statements make sense to me.
    1. However, if they made software compatible with Android and iOS, then some of the Blackberry, Palm, or other smart phone customers would be complaining. Not everyone would be happy.
    2. You probably aren't seeing the gas mileage promised in your full-size vehicle. Have you boycotted all the car manufacturers? Maybe you have or maybe you haven't. I don't know.
    3. Whether you are self-employed or work for someone else, they are very interested in making money. Otherwise, we would not have half of the luxuries that we have now (including the r/c cars that we currently own). In addition, they can't please everyone, but they are satisfying quite a few people, otherwise they wouldn't make enough money to keep their doors open. Traxxas is no different.
    4. I’m guessing, because I don’t know how your job works, but if a group of customers that buy your company's products or use your company's services complain about a particular package or the way something is marketed, does your company always change it?
    5. More than likely, you have purchased something else that has required you to do something to it, in order to reach its fullest potential, whether it's another battery pack, a gear, tires, or a product not r/c related (i.e. like buying an extra component for a gaming console)
    6. Like it or not, Traxxas has already decided on how they are going to market and package the XO-1 and every other vehicle they sell. However, no one is stopping you from creating your own company, which you can market and package products how you see fit. You could also prove to Traxxas that you can do a better job than their current engineering and design staff, and maybe they will hire you.
    7. An iDevice is a problem to unlock the full speed of the XO-1, but needing a computer to fully program any Castle ESC doesn’t seem to be a problem, and you can only use the Windows OS. Even though not everyone has a computer, Castle doesn’t seem to have a problem selling its brushless systems.
    8. Where’s the love? There are some posts that are negative, but I would just think that you would have at least one good thing to say. After all, you are on a Traxxas forum, so you must like something about them, right?
    9. Perhaps the XO-1 is a platform that is to be used in other vehicles (like other r/c car and full-size car companies do). Maybe even the vehicle you were hoping for, but with an Android app this time. If that is the case, with the way things are going on this forum that proposed new vehicle may never see the light of day.
    10. Complaining (I didn’t say voicing your opinion), slamming, etc. the iDevice option, or anything else, is probably not the best way to convince Traxxas, or anybody, to change their mind.
    11. Frustration aside, let’s be happy that with this economy we still have this hobby, can afford to continue to bash and/or race, and have companies that continue to bring us new and innovative products, even if it’s not what you want at the time.
    Excellent post!!!

RC Champion
    Quoted from rchaven:

Greetings All,

True. It would be nice, but not realistic

Gas mileage ratings are not released by the car manufacturers, but by a gov't agency. And who in their right mind believes what the gov't says. Those ratings just provide an apples to apples comparison using the same set of standards. And anyway, in all the cars I've had, the gas mileage has been better and worse depending on how it is driven.

True

4. I’m guessing, because I don’t know how your job works, but if a group of customers that buy your company's products or use your company's services complain about a particular package or the way something is marketed, does your company always change it?
    Yes, but only if it doesn't compromise the product in some way. But I work in IT, so things are a bit different than a product you can hold in your hand.

This is where the argument falls apart IMO. Take for instance real cars. You can get the "full potential" by doing certain modifications, but what Traxxas did is akin to buying a car with a 6-cylinder engine, but 3 of those pistons won't function unless you buy the Serius/XM radio package. What bothers me personally is the purposely crippling of the device unless something else is bought.

True. But you have to admit that Traxxas has deeper pockets than I do.

7. An iDevice is a problem to unlock the full speed of the XO-1, but needing a computer to fully program any Castle ESC doesn’t seem to be a problem, and you can only use the Windows OS. Even though not everyone has a computer, Castle doesn’t seem to have a problem selling its brushless systems.
    This again is where the argument falls apart. Castle's ESCs are FULLY functional out of the box. Castle Link does not make the vehicle go faster (maybe marginally, but certainly not 2x faster). All it does is provide finer control over settings that can be coarsely adjusted the old fashioned way via the transmitter and beep counting.

8. Where’s the love? There are some posts that are negative, but I would just think that you would have at least one good thing to say. After all, you are on a Traxxas forum, so you must like something about them, right?
    Hey, I'll give love where love is due. I like their products (for the most part), have had several in fact. I even think using an external device is a good idea... but only for the telemetry and fine-tuning of adjustments, NOT to un-cripple the ESC.

I've said it before, it wouldn't matter if it was iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Windows, Linux, etc - it's about the purposeful crippling of the device.

10. Complaining (I didn’t say voicing your opinion), slamming, etc. the iDevice option, or anything else, is probably not the best way to convince Traxxas, or anybody, to change their mind.
    Some people do go overboard, but honest customer feedback is how a company can improve their products.

11. Frustration aside, let’s be happy that with this economy we still have this hobby, can afford to continue to bash and/or race, and have companies that continue to bring us new and innovative products, even if it’s not what you want at the time.
    True, but I refer back to my feedback comment...
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My castle ESC's come, out of the box, with the LVC set too low (for my preference) to use with a quality lipo. So, to use them with my lipos I MUST buy a program card (that costs like $30) or have castle link. I ONLY use Apple products, which I guess puts me in the opposite position as all the people complaining here... there is no mac based castle link application. I must go out and buy extra electronics/programs/software to run castle link so I can set the LVC to a safe level and therefore be able to use that product to its full potential. Castle is crippling their ESC's by not setting the LVC high enough to use with good quality lipo packs... I'm not mad. I just went out and bought a $150 windows netbook. Not a big deal. I also get to use other programs and features that were currently unavailable to me so its not upsetting at all. The comparison between needing castle link or tekins hot wire or any other programming system for an aftermarket ESC is the EXACT same argument as needing an iDevice to unlock your XO-1... the argument is not about WHAT gets unlocked... its that you need something EXTRA to unlock it.

I am a %100 apple user... I own NO other products other than my hobby computer which was purchased strictly for programming my castle ESCs... BUT... if traxxas had released the XO-1 and the car required an Andriod phone to unlock it and use the telemetry features... I WOULD BUY ONE... I would find a cheap android phone or whatever and I would leave it attached to the radio and just consider it a radio upgrade... Why? Because its worth it. I wouldn't complain, I wouldn't kick and scream all day, I wouldn't go on EVERY thread that even whispers the name XO-1 and turn every positive conversation into a complaint thread about needing an alternate device. Id just go buy one, id go home and Id enjoy the car.

But I guess us Apple users are just easier going...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    ... But I guess us Apple users are just easier going...
    A yellow Summit can have that affect.

RC Qualifier
    Talk about sensationalism - Traxxas is "crippling" the XO-1 by requiring an unlocking??? Really? Is the nitro Revo crippled because it runs on nitro fuel which is not supplied? Is the ERBE crippled because it only comes with nimh batteries?

RC Champion
    pavementsurfer: Just curious, what LVC setting do you consider safe? You can use the transmitter to set the LVC to auto-lipo,which auto-detects cell count and applies a 3.2v/cell LVC point.

And I guess what you consider crippling is different from my definition. In your case, I call that a user-desired adjustment.

But I get what you're saying, I really do. I'm obviously not an Apple user (but I do use Linux, which is what OSx is based from, but I digress), but I am usually a very easy going guy. Some things just bother me, that's all.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    You can use the transmitter to set the LVC to auto-lipo,which auto-detects cell count and applies a 3.2v/cell LVC point.
    And that is too low.

Sorry for the short OT post.

Safe by almost every lipo MFG's specs (and a direct confirmation from the most trusted guy in Lipos, Jakey) is that 3.4 is as low as you want to go. Castle setting their ESC's to 3.2 from the factory is widely accepted as unacceptable... (that reads funny,. no?). If you check the voltage of a lipo that has hit a 3.2LVC immediately after the LVC kicks in you will often find one cell is below 3.0... that isn't good.

This is why you really do "need" to adjust these settings. Now I'm not going to say castle does this on purpose and "requires" you to buy something extra to even use their ESC... but traxxas doesnt "require" you to buy anything to run the XO-1... if you want to run 2X $100 3S lipos on your MMM ESC in shooting for 100mph with any other car your going to want to adjust your LVC to a safe level to protect those expensive lipos. So, the point I'm making (in a longer than necessary way) is that to get the MAX out of your MMM on 6S you really do need to use extra electronic gear which, if your like me and only own apple products, you'll need to spend more money on.

The XO-1 does 60 out of the box... its not unusable... it just requires some tinkering to get it to its full potential... the box says it CAN go 100mph.... its CAPABLE of 100mph... not that it DOES go 100mph RIGHT NOW. Thats all I'm saying. I do appreciate your candour BrianG... you seem level headed... not like some that get really uptight about things.

RC Qualifier
    Don't worry, your posts are thoughtful and very intelligent and you do offer genuine constructive criticism. And as you can see, many of us take this issue personally.

pavementsurfer: Just curious, what LVC setting do you consider safe? You can use the transmitter to set the LVC to auto-lipo,which auto-detects cell count and applies a 3.2v/cell LVC point.

And I guess what you consider crippling is different from my definition. In your case, I call that a user-desired adjustment.

But I get what you're saying, I really do. I'm obviously not an Apple user (but I do use Linux, which is what OSx is based from, but I digress), but I am usually a very easy going guy. Some things just bother me, that's all.

Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada
    I've been reading a lot on this forum about this new XO-1 release, and decided I gotta weigh in on the discussion.

IMO Traxxas made a great move with the XO-1, and I am positive that they had considered the pending negativity that would stem from it's release. Obviously they came to the conclusion that the either the positive feedback would outweigh the negative, or the profit gained from it's release will be enough to trump any of the feedback, positive or negative.

The reason I think the XO-1 is a smart move, is based on my personal reaction to it's pending release. I'm a daily backyard basher with a preference for the monster truck platforms, my #1 choice being the 2wd brushless stampede. I've never owned any kind of hobby grade on-road car, and had never come across one that gave me any sort of enough urge to purchase one...until now. Not only is it an impressive looking unit, but being branded with the Traxxas name that I have come to trust and thoroughly enjoy, along with all the innovation that comes bundled with the Traxxas name, then topped off with a speed capability of 100mph, well, I was sold. Even though I'm positive this purchase will not lead me to crossover to the R/C car platform, I'm sure that there will be enough of these units sold out of curiosity to others like me to make it a solid idea, then add to that the units bought by the strictly on-road masses and all the people in between and it will equal a win, whether we like it or not.

I am an Idevice fan, to put it lightly. I own several old-school ipods, every generation of touch, all versions of iPhone as well as the iPad 1 and 2. Sure, the fact that the XO-1 uses an Idevice to maximize it's performance and useable features is a total bonus for me, but as Pave stated, I too would buy any device it required to open up all the features, so this was not the biggest selling point for me. Now, if they were to bundle a new iPod touch with the XO-1 for a little extra cash, IMO that would be a feature that would sell a lot more of these cars! Then even the most anti-Idevice people out there would then be able to justify owning an IPod Touch because they didn't make a point of buying the iPod separately and would only own one because "it came with the car" and "that's all I use it for". Lol. I do use an android phone as well, but "it's my work phone and came with the job" and "that's all I use it for". Deep down I really like it though, but keep that on the down low!

The one thing I have seen on this forum about the XO-1, is the belief that it will sell for far less than the msrp. I imagine that in time it will be sold for less, but i have a funny feeling its gonna take a very long time due to the "Experts Only" disclaimer. When I surfed over to tower hobbies to put in my pre-release order, I saw their retail price of $1900 with their "tower's low price" of $1149 and wondered where they got these prices from seeing as they don't match the Traxxas msrp. So I emailed them to inquire about it and they sent me a reply within 12hrs. Heres their reply:

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the feedback.

Traxxas has a suggested selling price of $1099. This means you shouldn't have to pay more than that for the product to get a good deal.

Tower Hobbies has the retail price at $1900. this is not the suggested selling price. It's just a retail price. We didn't get that from Traxxas and it is not the selling price. It is what we value the product at but that's our opinion. We don't sell it at that price and it's very rare for Tower Hobbies to ever sell any item at the retail price.

We are selling this item for $1149 with a $110 discount offer on the home page of our web site that this item qualifies for. So you can buy this item from us for $1039 which is less that Traxxas' suggested selling price.

Tower Hobbies is know for it's promotional discounts and there are few consumers that don't use one so we often list items slightly higher assuming a discount will be applied and that the end result will be a lower price than our competitors.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to explain this.

Pat

And now I want to post my only nitpick with the posted advertisement of the XO-1. This car is not 100mph out of the box, it's 50mph out of the box with the capability to exceed 100mph with the added apple device and installed iTunes application. Having 100mph out of the box stated as the first of the features, with the * added to direct you to the reality of this statement located in fine print at the bottom of the page, is IMO a bit misleading. It would be like an ad that states an unconditional guarantee, but has an * added that directs you to the fine print at the bottom of the page, explaining the conditions of the unconditional guarantee. Just tell it like it is!! Anyone basing their purchase on only reading the quick features section, would be pretty ticked to take the car "out of the box" and attempt a 100mph pass with the capability of only getting it to 50mph until they either fork over the cash to buy a new iPod touch (which ain't cheap), or hit eBay, place some bids on a used one, wait for the auction to end days later, wait for the seller to ship it, wait for the postal service to get it there, go to the post office and get it, then install app on the iPod, unlock and program the esc, then try the 100mph pass. That little * could equal up to a few weeks of waiting to see the "out of the box" 100mph. Sell it with the iPod Traxxas and lose the *, cuz out of the box it's a 50mph car! My 2 cents fwiw.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

RC poster
    @BrianG
    I understand how you thought my arguement was lost, but my post wasn't about crippled or uncrippled devices. It was about the fact of just having to buy something extra to reach a certain speed that is sometimes posted by r/c car manufacturers, regardless of the reason. Most of the r/c manufacturers have put RTR speed claims on their products at some point that won't be obtained unless you purchase something that isn't included (i.e. another battery, gear, iDevice, etc.). Now I see fewer and fewer speed claims on RTR packages.
    I don't see it as a crippled ESC. I look at it as just toned down. Just like the govenor on our full size vehicle, and most cars won't hit the top speed posted on the speedometer, unless you remover the govenor.

@Baldy Daniels
    Unfortunately, the mysterious " * " is used frequently, lol. Fine print is almost on everything we buy. True companies could reword the packaging, and some might buy things without doing research, but we really can't blame Traxxas if someone spends $1100 without researching their product.
    Last edited by rchaven; 12-06-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Great writeup Badly. I have the same feelings you have on it. In our household we have 3 iPod Touches, an iPad 2, and my wife has an iPhone 4. I have and use the iDevices. Not really a fan of their stuff but i will use them. Since them going to IOS, I have better feelings towards them. I'm more of an Android user. And I do understand why they used the Apple vs. the Android. As Android doesnt have a common platform across the Manufactures. At the same time I dont see why they couldnt have used a universal adapter and a sizeable mount for the Android phone to mount to it. This is just my 2 cents worth on this. BTW i'd much rather throw my iPod around than my Android phone, as it is much more expensive to replace. LOL

I'm really excited to see this model in person. Only bad thing about it is if I do I will want to take it home with me.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    What? The retina display is the highest res on the market.
    really? Compare to my Samsung galaxy S phone or infuse 4g I find most phones picture quality to look washed out and not as sharp...including the new iPhone. I mainly bought my phone BC of the screen and the infuse had the best at the time of purchase. I know the new galaxy 2s has even a better screen.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Qualifier
    To unlock the true top speed, you need to swap a different spoiler, and install a different pinion(both included), then download the app, register the model, agree to a terms of use, then you can unlock it.

I would be very interested in what the "terms of service" are, word for word, what you have to agree to in order to download the unlock function, and what is actually unlocked, the programming in the TX, RX, ESC, or all 3, and how it will work, or not work with somone that will use another brand of radio gear. That is the sole gripe I have with it, basically you get a car that has a yet unknown contract that will be registered with the car, and presumably the purchaser's personal information. If the model can be unlocked with a "borrowed" apple device, then how can someone re-lock it without the device? will the program be registered to a specific device, and/or specific model, so if someone buys 2, will they have to register twice to get unique unlock codes? If the Apple device is replaced or upgraded, then will you need to re-register it, or can you just re-download the app? It brings up some questions, will this be 18+ only, being minors can't really enter into a contract, will the contract be transferrable if sold or stolen, or will the original purchaser be liable for any stipulations that the contract contains for that serial #? Is this locking system going to be used for other models? Is safety and liaibility negigable if it is driven under 50mph, or other models are driven to their top speeds? What personal information will be required, and how will that be protected from misuse? I see the legalese CYA going to a whole new level, and that is the problem I have with it, of course a good number of people will probably use anonymous e-mail adresses or hack the program to get around it.
    Last edited by alucard0822; 12-06-2011 at 05:27 PM.

RC poster
    ^^^ You pose some interesting questions for sure. I'm guessing it's a Traxxas contract that basically states that you won't drive 100mph in a crowded area. I guess the age restrictions is based on how old you have to be to get an Apple Store account.

RC Champion
    @alucard0822: Ugg! All that gives me a headache! All those legal questions sounds like what I had to go though when I bought my house, and it doesn't even go 100mph! Now more than ever do I want to just sell the radio/esc and install a modified MMM and use my Spektrum equipment!

RC Champion
    I wonder....hey chicken I know its a irrelevant now as you guys already have these things being packed up but would leaving the lipos out of the kit have made a difference on the lockout?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    really? Compare to my Samsung galaxy S phone .
    Shrug, okay.

Galaxy s2 resolution=800x480

iPhone retina= 960x620

Google it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Shrug, okay.

Galaxy s2 resolution=800x480

iPhone retina= 960x620

Google it yourself.
    If you guys want to argue about your cell phones please take it to PM's . This is not the place for that conversation.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    +1. No need to argue over phones.

Let's stick to the excitement of the release of this new beast.

Besides

We all know that the iPhone is the best!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Enthusiast
    Now if I wanted this car, I would have the money to also get the iPhone.
    Now, we have a 1st gen iPod touch. But then you have to keep a car going around 100MPH in a WiFi network range. Which means the mass chainlinking of wireless routers. Not convenient. You'd run out of WiFi so fast that the app could crash or something could go wrong and there it goes. Now, IDK what the safety features are for this, but what if the app crashes, or it hits a dead spot (This goes for phones and ipods too)? Will it just go back down to 50MPH, or just glitch out?
    iPhone price used is not bad, its the service plans that are killer. But with having AT@T, Verizon, and now Sprint with the phone, I think prices will lower competitively. We will see....
    But this i Device safety feature should work great for keeping kids off this thing.... cause its a monster.

RC Champion
    @WindrockDog: I see you mention a G1 touch. Somewhere in the details, it says you need a min of a G2 touch...

WindrockDog... the phone doesnt have to be connected to WiFi all the time... just to download the app... once the app is downloaded and the car is unlocked you don't even need the phone connected to the controller to get the car to run 100mph... its a one time thing.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by WindrockDog View Post
    Now, we have a 1st gen iPod touch. But then you have to keep a car going around 100MPH in a WiFi network range. Which means the mass chainlinking of wireless routers. Not convenient. You'd run out of WiFi so fast that the app could crash or something could go wrong and there it goes. Now, IDK what the safety features are for this, but what if the app crashes, or it hits a dead spot (This goes for phones and ipods too)? Will it just go back down to 50MPH, or just glitch out?
    iPhone price used is not bad, its the service plans that are killer. But with having AT@T, Verizon, and now Sprint with the phone, I think prices will lower competitively. We will see....
    But this i Device safety feature should work great for keeping kids off this thing.... cause its a monster.
    Pretty sure it uses the radio to send the telemetry, so range won't be an issue. I saw a used iPod touch in the Classifieds today, $350...I'd rather buy spare batteries

Quote Originally Posted by WindrockDog View Post
    Now, we have a 1st gen iPod touch. You need a Gen2 or above. But then you have to keep a car going around 100MPH in a WiFi network range. Which means the mass chainlinking of wireless routers. Not convenient. You'd run out of WiFi so fast that the app could crash or something could go wrong and there it goes. Now, IDK what the safety features are for this, but what if the app crashes, or it hits a dead spot (This goes for phones and ipods too)?
    All inaccurate or irrelevant. Will it just go back down to 50MPH, or just glitch out? Neither! WIFi is not required to operate the vehicle, only to download the Traxxas Link App. And maybe upload? Who knows.
    iPhone price used is not bad, its the service plans that are killer. But with having AT@T, Verizon, and now Sprint with the phone, I think prices will lower competitively. We will see....Again not relevant. iPhones are the more costly of the two devices and are not any more functional than a cheap iPod Touch
    You'd hope nobody is putting this vehicle in the hands of a child where they could do harm

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    WindrockDog... the phone doesnt have to be connected to WiFi all the time... just to download the app... once the app is downloaded and the car is unlocked you don't even need the phone connected to the controller to get the car to run 100mph... its a one time thing.
    All true.

Quote Originally Posted by unsulliedspy View Post
    Pretty sure it uses the radio to send the telemetry, so range won't be an issue. I saw a used iPod touch in the Classifieds today, $350...I'd rather buy spare batteries
    I'm not sure that is just an unfair reference to a silly asking price or a shot at the price of Traxxas batteries or...?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-07-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

The iPod touch must be a 2nd gen or newer. (see pic taken from box panel below) If this radio system is the only reason why you would be buying the iPod, then you might as well just get the 2nd gen 8 gig iPod used off eBay anywhere from 25-100 bucks.

The telemetry that is displayed onto the iPod gets it's signal from the tx which uses the 2.4ghz frequency to communicate with the receiver. What amazes me most about this radio system is that it obviously has enough range to handle the lengthy distance travelled by a 100mph car, but it uses no external antenna. I wonder if the telemetry signal has a shorter range like the other telemetry radio systems, or if the telemetry keeps a solid signal along with the tx signal?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    ...Traxxas has a suggested selling price of $1099...
    The price Traxxas lists on the product page has ssp next to it. Not msrp. Hope all of you that think your gonna get it for less realize that.

Wow, so much dissent over this controller. Maybe trx should have had the i device designed right into the controller and add $100 to the price. Seriously, who is really gonna buy this car, and not pick up the radio upgrade?

Cant wait to see Nic Case's record get challenged by a factory massaged slash 4x4 :į))

I for one will not be buying one, I think its a little too much... for me anyway, but what a giant leap for our lovable toys.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    If anyone can afford this car what will another $200 hurt?

The I-Pod thing is cool, and the lock out was a smart ideal if you ask me.
    I got skills!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    What amazes me most about this radio system is that it obviously has enough range to handle the lengthy distance travelled by a 100mph car, but it uses no external antenna. I wonder if the telemetry signal has a shorter range like the other telemetry radio systems, or if the telemetry keeps a solid signal along with the tx signal?...
    The higher the frequency, the smaller the antenna needs to be. The radio does still have an antenna to be sure, it's just inside the radio and may appear as simply a separate trace on the PCB

Since it using some type of digital spread spektrum tech, it can easily multiplex all the signals (normal throttle/steering/ch3 and telemetry) together into one transmitted signal. Just think of how computer wifi works (which is a roughly similar technology) and how much data/bandwidth one signal can hold.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Since it using some type of digital spread spektrum tech, it can easily multiplex all the signals (normal throttle/steering/ch3 and telemetry) together into one transmitted signal. Just think of how computer wifi works (which is a roughly similar technology) and how much data/bandwidth one signal can hold.

Sure sure. However it means this is a 2-way radio system. I'm no expert, but I've never heard of 2-way communication through normal rc 2.4 ghz setups.

Its very cool, I hope it works as well as I imagine. Modern 2.4 radios have plenty of range, I hope the telemetry's range is just as good.

RC Champion
    Well, I can't see why there would be a problem as long as the "receiver" antenna is not all chewed up or dangling somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Spektrum's DX3s uses telemetry right out of the box. I sold one when it came with certain other vehicle.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Spektrum's DX3s uses telemetry right out of the box. I sold one when it came with certain other vehicle.

yea, but doesn't their telemetry have shorter range than the radio itself?

I'm hoping for symmetric range with the traxxas setup.

RC Champion
    Not sure, I never used it.

I can answer the dx3s question from personal experience/frustration/anger/time/money. And also from a quick screen shot of the manual.

The stated 100-200 is a pretty large variance if you ask me. They might as well have said that it keeps barely useable signal to 100 and after that it only works 50% of the time. If this were true, it would be an improvement on what I've experienced.

This is exactly the reason I was wondering about the telemetry range of the TQi radio. The dx3s is a 2.4ghz system, has an external antenna, and Spektrum claims themselves to be "The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology". Yet this radio is widely known as being plagued with low range issues as well as glitching and brown outs. I can tell you that the telemetry signal is only solid up to 60 feet, and that's while using it in the middle of nowhere with no power or phone lines and no wireless signals available. (i know cuz I work in these environments on a regular basis and take truck with me). I invested a lot of time and money into trying to improve the telemetry performance on the dx3s with minuscule improvement, which resulted in the return and replacement of the system. When I got the replacement system....exactly the same mediocre performance.

This idevice compatibility is also not a new idea, as Spektrum has has this option for a while now. (see pic below). There is also some eery similarities between the TQi and STi (< see! That's one right there). Along with others that you can determine for yourself in the pic below. Being that Spektrum claims to be the leaders of this technology and also that their primary focus is rc radio systems, you would think that they'd be the ones to get it right. I sure hope Traxxas didn't get Spektrums help to make the TQi radio system, and if they did, I hope that it has been completely revamped to actually work properly.

Kudos to Traxxas for making the telemetry functions so easily adaptable to other models. this is my favorite part about this radio. If it performs well I'll be putting the telemetry on all my rc's.

This was another big fail for the spektrum system, as they give you nothing but the sensors and some misc screws and pieces of aluminum and expect you to figure out a way to mount them yourself, which is not an easy task on a 2wd stampede vxl.

Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 12-08-2011 at 05:51 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice post baldy. I learned from it.

RC Competitor
    This is what is puzzling. You have no problem what so ever to drop 750 for ERBE then spend 200 to 300 on lipos yet this car is lets say 800 actual price and comes with 2 3s lipos, a brand new radio design, and exclusive ESC not on the market yet but have a major issue about dropping lets say another 50 to 75 or better yet wasting 3mins using a friends iPhone or itouch to permanently unlock the governor on this car. Its just unlogical to complain about that alone BC you need a apple product. My only complaint is the steering servo. This car deserves a brand new servo with what be so awesome that's also Bluetooth connected.
    I agree the people i see at my local tracks have electric bajas and gas bajas with 4000 bucks thrown on the car and i ask them about the ox1 and they absolutely hate it just because of the govener and the people who complain have signatures that are like "Traxxas E-revo BLE all aluminum" or Like they own 15 different vehicles 1/10 size or smaller. The OX-1 is an amazing car and i just think that people are jealous so they are putting it down. I also think that traxxas could hv redesigned the servo and prob placed 2 servos in the vehicle to make a tighter more strengthened steering assembly
    XO-1 Supercar