RC Qualifier

NEW TSM XO-1 ESC is not Waterproof?????

Just wanted to chime in and see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I was driving my unlocked xo-1 with the stock pinon, lost control of it at 52mph, after hitting a reflector on the road indicating the location of a fire hydrate. The car went into a spin, stayed planted on the ground, but ended up back end first in the embankment of my property that the city requires all homeowners to have so that each property can hold water on the lots, keeping run off and water from staying on the streets, and flowing down to the beach.

Well, wouldn't you know it with my luck my property was holding water, the ESC and motor were completely submerged. Basically the entire bank portion of the car was under water.

I pulled the car out, unplugged the batteries, cleaned it up, and two days later go to have some fun and the ESC just blinks, though it armed this time, just recently I plugged the batts back in, and got nothing from the ESC. The ESC is a MM2. Batts were fully charged, and was able to arm my other XO-1, running a XL2. Though, the MM2 does appear different, I thought the MM2s were at least water resistant, though i admit that may not help me since those parts were under water, I have the same ESC on my Emaxx but it came from my First Gen X0-1, and i can run a hose on my emaxx with no probs.

The odd thing is that the Xo-1 owners manual does clearly states that the ESC is neither water proof, nor water resistant. It's stated quite a few times actually. I am assuming the enclosure for the esc is what makes an ESC water resistant or water proof, the plug for the motor wires are completely exposed compared to a MXL-6s, and when compared to the Castle MM2.

No hassle, I went and bought a MMX and put that in my emaxx, and put the XO-1 ESC, from my emaxx, into my XO-1.

RC Qualifier
    Right, I don't think any of the XO-1 electronics were ever waterproof. Stinks you had to prove it on your car. I never drive mine anywhere near water.

RC Competitor
    The new XO-1 esc is in fact just a standard MM2, and should be waterproof.
    The only difference between a stock Castle MM2 and the XO-1 esc, should be the added capacitor bank and the firmware (the XO-1 esc needs to be unlocked to get full power).
    The esc part itself is 100% the same; the only extra's are the 3 added caps.
    Have you taken a closer look if there isn't anything wrong with your wiring? (check the esc on/off switch, check connectors, check cap bank (or desolder it; you've got nothing to lose - and you can add them to your new MMX, if you wish)

Grtz,

Degake
    P4de, G.D. 30th, Ken Block, Kyle Busch, Summit,...

RC Champion
    When I first got my XO-1 it had MM1 with a 3cap CC Cap Pack, plus reworked firmware. When I had to replace my XO-1 ESC a few years later, the ESC Traxxas sent me was a MM2 with a 3cap CC Cap Pack, plus reworked firmware. My first MM1 based ESC wasn't water proof, but my second MM2 based ESC is. I'm still like Mr. DriveJumpFly, though, an that is...I don't run my XO anywhere near water either.
    I have great respect for girls in string bikini's.

RC Qualifier
    Yours just never goes fast enough for flight then lol just kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    When I first got my XO-1 it had MM1 with a 3cap CC Cap Pack, plus reworked firmware. When I had to replace my XO-1 ESC a few years later, the ESC Traxxas sent me was a MM2 with a 3cap CC Cap Pack, plus reworked firmware. My first MM1 based ESC wasn't water proof, but my second MM2 based ESC is. I'm still like Mr. DriveJumpFly, though, an that is...I don't run my XO anywhere near water either.

RC poster
    My xo1 with tsm stated somewhere it wasn't waterproof I'll look later but I'm thinking it was from castles paperwork

RC Qualifier
    As regularguy stated, the first gen xo-1 esc"s were not waterproof, they were just a regular mm with the extra caps. Here recently I have seen new xo-1 esc's that are the mm2 with extra caps. The difference I see in both esc is the regular mm does not have adjustable bec and is not waterproof. The mm2 is waterproof and can be submerged but it cannot be hooked to a power source. I first got my emaxx and floated it down a creek so they say don't submerge the esc but I have proven you can......food for thought