RC Racer

Metal Gear 2075 Servo

Metal gear 2075 servo
    woot: Hi. today i got my package from A Main Hobbies and went out on a lim and bought 3 sets of POWER HD 6001MG servo gear set they fit in the 2075 im excited about this hope they hold up the only gear that doesnt fit is the plastic one that comes with it you have to use the traxxas one that is connected in the middle to the servo motor and each gear set is only $.99 if you have any question let me know heres a link to youtube videos

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/...raxxasfreak24/

i messed with the camera setting to get it clearer and will post a better video when i get my other servo it a pain taking it out of the truck thanks for looking
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-23-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Thanks for posting this, it looks like a good upgrade. The 2075 is a great performing servo for the price, and if this makes it more durable it will be even better.

RC Qualifier
    hey traxxasfreak, how did it work out for you? I did the exact same thing, with the same gears set and at first it seemed to work great!, but there are issues that came up during the on truck testing, the gear that meets the bottom plastic gear does not go down far enough and strips the gear, im still working on the solution, may have to file a little of the servo case where the gear opposite of the final gear sits, and then add a few tiny washers on the shaft above the gear to help hold it down. sorry these are a little blurry
    the first problem was that the two brass gears are not quite as tall as the plastic gears so you need some small washers to take up the slop
    here is how the gears mesh, the brass gear needs to go down more

here is how the stock plastic gear meshes notice it goes almost all the way down close to touching the bottom gear

ok where the plastic gear sits there is a slightly raises ring of plastic around where the shaft goes,

i believe if you carefully file off this ring the brass gear will go down far enough to mesh properly with the bottom gear, this is what i am trying, i just need some tiny washers to shim above the gears once assembled. I hope this made sense...lol.... ill post my findings when the project is done and retested, I bought up the last 8 sets of these gear sets that I could find after seeing a u tube video about this modification...lol...not bashing on traxxas, i dig my traxxas trucks, but with the size and power the new trucks have you would think they would upgrade some of their servos to metal gears, after all they sell servo arms for the e revo for other brand servos, and the offer a stronger servo saver spring for the e revo, and state for use with metal gear servos!
    Last edited by goalieman3037; 12-20-2011 at 05:42 PM.
    (Rich)..If its stock.....leave it in the box!

RC Racer
    hi thanks for looking in on that mine havent stripped yet but how do you guys usually strip them i will see what needs to be done so they get perfect mesh will post back soon

ok while wait for the camera battery to charge lol i got a perfect mesh with them i used my files and filed down the little pice that protect the pinion gear of the servo i wish i know the name of every gear but dont but just filled it down and allowed the other gear to sit lower and wesh 100% with the plastic i will put the picture up when the camera charges i did the same as what you exsplained and seems to be holding up and works perfect so far

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/...raxxasfreak24/
    thats all the pictures of what i did just did what you said and it worked hope it works for you as well and have a merry XMASE
    since the pictures didnt want to work heres the link its the first 4 pictures of what i did
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-22-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Post merge.

RC Qualifier
    there ya go! that's just what i did! but i put a #0 washer on the shaft on top of the gear that sits where we filed, otherwise I think the gear can slide up , because it starts out a little shorter that the stock gear so after filing off some plastic to make it mesh better its even sitting lower, if you have any trouble you may want to add the washer.
    I ended up getting some hitec servos for my Maxx, but I'm building a E revo and I have the traxxas modified servos for that so it may be a while before they get a good testing for me!, keep me posted to how it hold up for you, ...lol... Like I said I bought up every set (8) that I could find of the gears we used so even if it works out well I don't think anyone else can do the same modification!
    You have a merry Christmas also!!

RC Racer
    Is it easier to just buy new servos or is the price savings that much? Havent really played with the servos yet. I like the waterproofness (is that even a word ) of the traxxas servos.
    If its under control, your not going fast enough!

RC Qualifier
    well the gear set was .99 per set, and I agree slashfwrd I like the waterproof..ness too of the traxxas servos, that's the reason for me to do the servo modification!

RC Racer
    Looks like a pretty inexpensive mod for the truck.
    If its under control, your not going fast enough!

RC Qualifier
    yeah the problem is... they have discontinued the gear set, lol that's why @.99 I bought the last 6 set they had, they were out of a servo brand/called "power hd" if I could find out who actually manufactured these servos,so far I haven't found a web site for a company called power hd( I think they still have that brand out there) id check to see if they have any other servos gears that would work in place of the discontinued ones if anyone can find a web site say for the company that produced the power hd servos please pm me the link! Thanks