Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

castle mamba monster esc and motor bad news

dont buy this crap it sets on fire burns out your truck and you get no help. only told to send the esc and motor back. and jumped to conclusions about my batteries before they even know what batteries im using. they say use over 4000 mah and 30c. mine are 6000mah and 100c. laughing about this and never buying rc rubbish again. goin back to real sized motorcycling it was cheaper and less fires! it was fun while it lasted though but after spending over 900 quid it was just a massive waste. castle suck.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-22-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Bypassing the Language Filter

RC Champion
    Sorry to hear that.
    I own to castle sets (mamba monster esc and motor)
    never had an issue and one set runs on 20c 5400 mah batteries.

But that wont help you I know that :-(

Good luck with what ever you decide
    Slightly Addicted

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    dude I told not to believe the specs on those batteries.

But all is not lost, the Erbe is still a fantastic truck, you can probably sell it for a decent price.

RC Racer
    i know guys, i love the truck to bits and it put me on a proper downer when it happened. i am sending the motor and esc back to castle to see if its a warranty claim, but if not then god knows what i'm gonna do, all the options are expensive lol. it didnt kill my batteries though, thats what i dont understand, the esc is melted it was running for 2 mins at walking pace. it de soldered the esc wires but the batteries are fine. the motor also was stiff and wouldnt turn but got badly burned from the esc fire.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It really sounds like a case of ripple current. I'd suggest adding some capacitors if you're going to stick with those batteries.

Oddly running at slow speed can be very hard on the ESC, it has to switch the fets on for just a moment in time, as opposed to WOT where the FETS can actually switch fewer times and be left open.

RC Racer
    just checked my batts, it didnt even flatten them. all 6 cells still registering 4.00volts each, and stiil at 5000mah after the fire(it used a little power from them but thats all). all charged still and balanced perfectly. is it still my batts as i've used these all the time with no issues so far.

RC Champion
    Just because the battery voltage is ~4v doesn't mean they don't have high IR, which would increase ripple current. Not saying that's the cause, just that you can't draw conclusions from a simple voltage check.

While it is highly unfortunate that this happened, I think it was either a battery issue, a loose connector somewhere, or simply an ESC fault.

People fail to comprehend the amount of current these little ESCs control. These things regulate/control hundreds of amps! There is nothing else on this planet (barring military grade devices) that will do what these do for their size. If you look at any other similar device, you will see they are much larger/beefier, but ESCs have to be light and small to fit on models. Shrinking things down tends to make them fail spectacularly when they do fail. I guarantee that if you were to find a suitable ESC for your 1:1 motorcycle, the device would be much larger watt for watt.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your batteries are likely undamaged, but could still be the culprit.

The ESC is just a high speed switch, it opens and closes the circuit to the motor, usually about 13,000 times a second.

Problem is batteries are just a lump of chemicals, it takes a reaction to get the juice flowing, and that takes time... longer than 1/13000th of a second.

This is where a capacitor comes in. They can charge and discharge dang near instantly. Think of a flash bulb, thats a capacitor discharging through a bulb.

The capacitor in effect allows your battery to discharge as instantly as the ESC is wanting....

But if they can't, its the ESC that takes the hit. Your batteries don't care, the actual amp load was probably never really high.

edit: (if your esc is toast, get those batteries in storage mode!)
    Last edited by ducati777; 11-22-2011 at 09:28 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati777 View Post
    Your batteries are likely undamaged, but could still be the culprit.

The ESC is just a high speed switch, it opens and closes the circuit to the motor, usually about 13,000 times a second.

Probably is batteries are just a lump of chemicals, it takes a reaction to get the juice flowing, and that takes time... longer than 1/13000th of a second.

This is where a capacitor comes in. They can charge and discharge dang near instantly. Think of a flash bulb, thats a capacitor discharging through a bulb.

The capacitor in effect allows your battery to discharge as instantly as the ESC is wanting....

But if they can't, its the ESC that takes the hit. Your batteries don't care, the actual amp load was probably never really high.
    And if you want to get more technical:

When a load is placed on a battery, the voltage sags a little. When the load is removed, the battery voltage rises again.

The amount of voltage sag is determined by the battery's internal resistance (as well as any connector/wire resistances), and current draw. If a 12v battery has an IR of 0.01Ω and 50A is being drawn, the voltage will sag to 11.5v (12v - (0.01Ω * 50A).

Since the "load" is switching ~13,000/sec, this a series of "ripples" as the battery voltage sags and raises accordingly. FETs don't like these ripples, so this is what those caps have to filter out. But since we are drawing high currents, the caps are working harder to keep up.

Better batteries have lower IR, so there is less voltage ripple. Adding caps helps to share the work on the existing ones.
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

RC Champion
    That sucks nobody will do anything about it. I feel ya Frostbite man. I can't blame your lipos yet. Maybe something happened the driving session before The Final Voyage. Can you take us back to then? Tell us how that went. How long did you run it? What pinion and spur? Did it hit the LVC? What's your Lvc set at? What's a Lvc? Was there large amounts of moisture involved? Any major wrecks? Motor temperatures? Lipo temperatures?

My Condolences for your loss.

RC Racer
    it ran for an hour and a half the time before, ran cool i felt the batts motor esc. stock gearing wheels tires and everything. no bad wrecks neither thats what i dont understand. but if it is my batteries then i made a real expensive school boy error. lol is it worth sending the esc and motor back or should i just go on ebay and buy a set? it would be quicker and easier. and buy some traxxas lipos this time just in case. what do you think guys?

RC Qualifier
    Hasn't Castle been recalling a lot of their ESCs due to fires?

I would definitely send the ESC/Motor back to Castle. In all likelihood, they are going to replace them under warranty.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For sure send it back.

Also, this is your first rc right? Or at least your relatively new?

Maybe try less than 6s for a while....

RC Racer
    no mate ive been in the hobby since i was 5, now i'm 28 lol but its the first castle system i've had. i had the merv vxl for about a year on the same brand lipos and i have 7 rc planes that are lipo and helicopters boats and rc brushless bikes the venom vmx, i have quite a collection.
    oh all my stuff is brushless as well.
    Last edited by kevfrostbite; 11-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.

RC Champion
    Just about 55,000 HV ice controllers were recalled LaTuFu. A replacement might take awhile to get back because they say they are really busy. What do you got to loose with sending it in? It's a long shot but, maybe your hobby store can trade you out for a new ESC if you purchased your revo recently?

RC Racer
    thanks for all the help everyone. hopefully i will have it running again soon. i have read a couple of threads on here where people have had fires with the system. i have also seen a vid on youtube of a speed run and a fire, the revo then spears off into a hedge. he had the v2 same sytem as me apparently. i will write and let you all know what happens and the diagnosis from castle.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevfrostbite View Post
    no mate ive been in the hobby since i was 5, now i'm 28 lol
    So much for calling you a noob....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    Just about 55,000 HV ice controllers were recalled LaTuFu. A replacement might take awhile to get back because they say they are really busy. What do you got to loose with sending it in? It's a long shot but, maybe your hobby store can trade you out for a new ESC if you purchased your revo recently?
    that my friend is a good idea, i bought it around 6 months ago so i will ring them tomorrow and see what they say. failing that i will return the burned out stuff back to castle. top marks to traxxas though, the truck sustained no real damage just some marks from the electrical fire that rub off.

RC Qualifier
    What esc/motor combo were you running at the time of the conflagration?

RC Racer
    the stock mamba monster brushless esc and 2200kv motor combo that comes with the 5608 e revo brushless edition.

RC poster
    Send er back, the same exact thing happened to me, only it happened 3 times to me, and i just keep sending the ESC back. No cost to me as the speed controller has a year warranty. Never the motor though mine has always been fine.

RC Racer
    ah, my motor has freed off now, it was very stiff after the fire, but i'm wondering if it was the capacitors discharging what they had left in them? iu think i'm gonna send my motor back though as is is all burned from whatever came out the esc. thanks info!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by il1kec1v1cs View Post
    Send er back, the same exact thing happened to me, only it happened 3 times to me, and i just keep sending the ESC back. No cost to me as the speed controller has a year warranty. Never the motor though mine has always been fine.
    did it do anything to your batteries? mine are ok although they did swell a bit after the esc went up, i dont think i'm gonna use them again.

RC Champion
    Good luck and hopefully you get a new motor/ESC back and will be back here in the forum :-) to tell about it
    Slightly Addicted

RC Racer
    no problem guys i will keep you informed. today i phoned the shop where i got the truck from and they are going to sort it all out hopefully. this time i think i may purchase the ******* **** tech 6000mah 25-50c lipos they're not a bad price on ebay. any of you guys run these batts and know if its a good choice or not? thanks again everyone, what would i do without ya!!
    Last edited by kevfrostbite; 11-24-2011 at 11:00 AM.

RC Racer
    ah, my motor has freed off now, it was very stiff after the fire, but i'm wondering if it was the capacitors discharging what they had left in them? iu think i'm gonna send my motor back though as is is all burned from whatever came out the esc. thanks info!!
    well the motor seemed to have freed off, but i put it back in the truck ready to take to the shop, but it has made my motor very stiff its hard to push the truck forwards, and i checked the trans so it aint that. weird........

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    no problem guys i will keep you informed. today this time i think i may purchase the ******* **** tech 6000mah 25-50c lipos they're not a bad price on ebay. any of you guys run these batts and know if its a good choice or not? thanks again everyone, what would i do without ya!!

Resident ******* fanboi is very happy.

RC Champion
    well the motor seemed to have freed off, but i put it back in the truck ready to take to the shop, but it has made my motor very stiff its hard to push the truck forwards, and i checked the trans so it aint that. weird........
    The truck is always hard to push forward due the strong magnets in the motor. You can barely turn the axis with the fingers. If thats what you mean ?
    Slightly Addicted

RC Qualifier
    Don't expect a fast replacement. I sent my system back to castle 5 weeks ago and still no replacement. They are having a big recall on some heli stuff but that's not my concern. I want my system back. Thankfully I have a nitro revo that's rock solid. Disappointed with castle to be honest. Won't buy another system of theirs.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

I could be wrong, JMHO I think most smoked ESC & motor failures are operator Error. Wrong gearing, poor quality batts, got it wet etc..etc... I am sure there are some that just die... Just think how much power is going thru the ESC, & the hostile environment they have to work in. Just my 3 cents..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    I suspect you are correct, as you say though some just pack in. Mine died despite it being pretty standard and very well looked after. I don't mind things breaking, it happens but weeks and weeks is just a joke.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mwi View Post
    The truck is always hard to push forward due the strong magnets in the motor. You can barely turn the axis with the fingers. If thats what you mean ?
    sadly no, i always check the drive train after every run, and its never been this stiff, the motor is definitely damaged. i've checked the mesh several times but the motor just seems to be toast. if you pull or push the truck it locks the wheels, and gives the effect that a brake is on quite hard. i know the revo is torquey, but not this much.

Quote Originally Posted by revomikey View Post
    I suspect you are correct, as you say though some just pack in. Mine died despite it being pretty standard and very well looked after. I don't mind things breaking, it happens but weeks and weeks is just a joke.
    i completely agree. the only thing thats bothering me now is the wait. i will have to use my rc bikes for a while i guess..... fun but not as much fun as the Erbe. anyone invented a time machine yet?? apart from the revo that is!

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    I could be wrong, JMHO I think most smoked ESC & motor failures are operator Error. Wrong gearing, poor quality batts, got it wet etc..etc... I am sure there are some that just die... Just think how much power is going thru the ESC, & the hostile environment they have to work in. Just my 3 cents..
    i agree, it could have been my batts i suppose, but i've used even cheap lipos in all my other stuff and nothings quit or set fire yet, but then again nothing is quite as powerful as the erbe. i ran my merv vxl on the same brand lipos for a year with no problems though and my mate is still running his right now with the same brand lipos. but brand is just brand, they could be completely different cells for all i know, but they look the same. i am definitely going for the ******* 6000mah 25-50c this time, then if it happens again then theres no more need to wonder. i will keep you posted guys!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-25-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    oh and by cheap lipos i used i mean the ones you usually get free with things, when i buy a lipo i try to get a decent brand if i can help it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mwi View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    I own to castle sets (mamba monster esc and motor)
    never had an issue and one set runs on 20c 5400 mah batteries.

But that wont help you I know that :-(

Good luck with what ever you decide
    which batteries do you use as i'm confused now, went to the shop today and they told me that the ******* 6000mah 25-50c lipos are no good for the revo, and tried to sell me some 4200mah orions that were only around 25c. i just want some decent lipos that wont burn my new system if i get it, and that will power my revo to its full potential. i said to the man in the shop i need some around 100c then? and he then said you dont wanna go too far with the power. but i thought these esc's could handle more than that?

RC Racer

i'm really interested in buying a set of these, my local shop says they're not a good choice for revo, but i'm thinking it might be because they're wanting to sell some batts. they look good to me and the price is good. how do they perform, how much runtime roughly do you get etc? if they're good enough for a champ then they should be good lipos!

RC Racer
    i'm really interested in buying a set of these, my local shop says they're not a good choice for revo, but i'm thinking it might be because they're wanting to sell some batts. they look good to me and the price is good. how do they perform, how much runtime roughly do you get etc? if they're good enough for a champ then they should be good lipos!
    I'm using these lipos in my revo, i have 2s & 3s so can run 4s, 5s & 6s, they work fine and have plenty of punch and i think these are great value for money

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by granby View Post
    I'm using these lipos in my revo, i have 2s & 3s so can run 4s, 5s & 6s, they work fine and have plenty of punch and i think these are great value for money
    thanks for the info! this is gonna be my next choice for sure. if the system sets fire again then i guess the battery selection is off the trouble shoot list!

RC Racer
    oh yea one more thing guys, i asked castle by email which would be the best batteries for the mamba monster esc and motor about 4 days ago and still they wont reply. but they answered my other questions strangely.. i'm starting to think its nonsense about the lipos and just a fault.

RC Racer

well i got told today that these batteries are no good for revo not powerful enough. castle say they have got to be at least 30 c and 5000mah. and they are sending me my same burned motor back. i would strongly recommend to anyone not to buy this stuff, if you like your electronics perfect like me anyways cos it just aint gonna happen unless i dive more money into it. i dont think so somehow....

RC Qualifier
    Sorry to hear that. It's entirely possible that CC is making that statement due to the wide range of "standards" used by various battery companies for their C ratings. One company's 25C is another company's 30C, or worse, 20C.

25C can work, and there are many members on here who will tell you it works just fine. Traxxas' own proprietary batteries are 25C. But buying a 30C battery will work just as well, and will possibly work better, at least for the battery's life cycle, if not the esc and motor as well.

I bought these for my Summit but I've been using them just as much in my ERBE lately, can't recommend them highly enough (and very glad some SPC fans on here turned me on to them):